Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Most HP outta of Stock Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ The reason why people are having trouble is becuase they dont have it tuned properly. While the AEM EMS is superior to all the piggy-back ECUs, u gotta spend hours and hours tuning it in order to get the best overall performance and dependability. U need to tune for cold starts, daily driving, race gas, etc.....bottom line is if u have a good tuner, then the AEM will be worth its weight in gold!
Old May 1, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it all depends on where u are with the aem ems and who is around you and how far you are willing to go to get it tunned correctly i know here in colorado thier really is no one who has been doing them and it would probly take a LOT longer then say in cali.....

neways if you look into my profile at what i have i made almost 360 on 91 oct with still timing running off the ecu and a few more things i can do lower pipes fmic 02 housing etc... but im just gonna do a kit
Old May 1, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlownIncome
^^^^^That's what some folks around here are telling me, but I keep reading the AEM EMS forums and see a bunch of people having problems with colds starts, stalling, maps being erased, and having to constantly play with it. My problem is that this is my every day car and I don't want to have to constantly play with it to get it to run right. I want to install something, have it tuned, and forget about it until my next mod. I've looked into the Autronics, but there doesn't seem to be many tuners using that system. <SHRUG>
Thats why I went with a flash! Set it and forget it! It was also a buttload cheaper, which was key!
Old May 1, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

IMHO, if you're not going to be tinkering with your car, and ESPECIALLY if your car is a daily driver, I'd recommend against the AEM EMS. Too much trouble for too little gain - if it was a track car, then go for it - but, not the best solution for a daily driven street car.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

See sig. This on Stock turbo 272's, pump gas and AEM EMS.
Old May 1, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Thats why I went with a flash! Set it and forget it! It was also a buttload cheaper, which was key!
Hmmmm Ron Popeil is making Flashes too I see. " Set it and forget it flash" -interesting.
Old May 1, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_doer
Hmmmm Ron Popeil is making Flashes too I see. " Set it and forget it flash" -interesting.
Yeaaaa it was a joke. Al flashes the ECU (sets) and then I drive away happy, (forget it).... get it? I was explaining that is why I like the flash. Why the confused face?
Old May 1, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Precision Dyno
This is probably the most UNinformed post I have ever heard.
How so?

My Evo is my daily driver, and I can't afford to have ANY downtime on the car. And honestly, the only reason people get stand alone units or piggyback ECU's is for the ability to tune and tinker with the car themselves. There are plenty of people (me included) that would like "set and forget" solutions - and for it's price, there is no beating a flash.

I don't see how what I stated was "uninformed" in any way. Just because I have a different methodology doesn't make my EM choices "inferior".
Old May 1, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Soon2BEVO]Yeaaaa it was a joke.QUOTE]

Same here
Old May 1, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

This is probably the most UNinformed post I have ever heard.
I'm quite aware of the capabilities of stand alone units, so it's not an issue of being informed or not. Some people have preferences, and there's a reason why flashes are as popular as they are. They are a cheap, cost-effective, and easy "set and forget" EM solution. For people who will NOT be doing any sort of road tuning, testing, and or logging (or running race gas for that matter) will not be making full use of the AEM EMS. I see no reason to pay $1500 for a stand alone, when you can get a flash for $500, and free/cheaper re-flashes depending on the vendor you get a flash from.
Old May 1, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

This is why I didn't post any more about your comment. It is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Unfortunately it is an opinion and not fact.
We have tuned 27 Evos, 12 various hondas, 1 nissan and 4 DSM's with the AEM EMS in 3 months that we are open now. Absolutley no issues at all. And if there will be it will be on cold start at 10 below. Which the customers are aware to return for a free 5 minute fix.
THEY ARE ALL DAILY DRIVERS.

I think you might have misinterpreted my original post. In no way did I say that the AEM was "unreliable" or "unsafe".

I simply said that for many of us who are using the car as daily drivers, and not a puporse-driven track car or weekend racer even, the benefits of the AEM will go unseen. Of all the Evo owners I have ever met, only about 1/10 (if even that many... I'd guess closer to 1/20) have enough technical understanding to do any logging/testing/tinkering with their EM units. I have met many people with UTECs, AEMs, XEDEs, (let's not get into the debate of piggyback ECUs vs stand-alone's) who have simply had a shop tune it for them and never touch it again until they take it in again for another upgrade. If that's the case, I just don't see the justification in buying an AEM if the end-user does not take advantage of the ECU's capabilities.

I just have a problem with vendors/shops preaching a product as the end-all be-all solution, when ideally it is not the best solution for everyone. Yeah, a flash may not make as much power as the AEM, but it's also a lot more cost-effective. Bang for the buck, remember?

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old May 1, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
I'm quite aware of the capabilities of stand alone units, so it's not an issue of being informed or not. Some people have preferences, and there's a reason why flashes are as popular as they are. They are a cheap, cost-effective, and easy "set and forget" EM solution. For people who will NOT be doing any sort of road tuning, testing, and or logging (or running race gas for that matter) will not be making full use of the AEM EMS. I see no reason to pay $1500 for a stand alone, when you can get a flash for $500, and free/cheaper re-flashes depending on the vendor you get a flash from.
Actually with tuning and map sensor and all other it comes out to over $2000 for the AEM EMS. If the AEM was cheaper Id probably get it because Im a sucker for power but its just too expensive for me. Id rather have some Volks!
Old May 1, 2005, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

There will never be a reflashed ecu that will make more power than an AEM...Period.

I do, same car, same yeah, same mods, 272's and so on, sometimes they have a bigger FMIC and full stand alone and speed density and I make more on the same dyno, same tuner, same day.

Many people make BIG power on the ECU and maf although it is harder.
Old May 1, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
I do, same car, same yeah, same mods, 272's and so on, sometimes they have a bigger FMIC and full stand alone and speed density and I make more on the same dyno, same tuner, same day.

Many people make BIG power on the ECU and maf although it is harder.
What did you make?
What dyno?
Old May 1, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Wow guys, vendors/shops need to stop the bickering.

Quick Reply: Most HP outta of Stock Turbo