Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Video creation and posting tips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video creation and posting tips

With all the interest on evo videos I have decided that it may be interesting for me to create a video of my car for the enjoyment of the members here

However - I have no video experience

I would lke to know a few details - what kind of camera to get ? Which editing softwear to use, and how to host it on the internet ? Or any other tips or hints that you can provide

Thanks Al
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:12 AM

Definately get a DV camera...3CCD ones are usually better...the usual suspects Sony, JVC, Panasonic.

You'll need firewire to get the video into your computer.

PC: Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio, Mac: iMovie

PM me if you want to know where to get some trial software.

-sonny
Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of camera to get?

This all depends on your budget and what you want out of the camcorder. If you want just a basic camcorder that's not too expensive, I'd suggest a normal miniDV camcorder. Sony makes a line of excellent quality miniDV camcorders that are rather small and portable. The Sony DCR-HC21 would be my recommendation to you. It retails for about $400 and it's the same camcorder that I use to make all my videos I post on here.

Which editting software to use?

For a nice, clean looking video, you have a couple of options. If you have the patience to learn it, Adobe Premeire is the best of the best for digital video editting on PC's. However, if you want a more simple digital video editting tool, Windows Movie Maker can do the job as well... but Adobe gives you much more options. I actually use both programs, Adobe first, and Windows Movie Maker afterwards.

How to host it on the internet?

Try to compress your video as much as you can without losing too much quality. Uncompressed videos (video footage straight from the miniDV tape to the computer) take up A LOT of space on your computer. A 5 second uncompressed video can take up as much space as a 60 second compressed video. The reason this is so important is because the bigger your video file is, the longer it takes to host it and for people to download it. There are numerous free hosting websites out there and I'm sure other evo people can chime in about them. I use my school's infinite webspace and bandwidth to host my videos. You could ask a few people here to help host your video, I'm sure it'd be fine. I could also host it for you.

Any other tips or hints that you can provide?

If you're taking footage at night, make sure the video's brightness and contrast are high enough for people to see what is going on. Camera mounts or tripods are very nice so you don't get shakey video, however not neccessary if you have a friend who can hold your camcorder still. If you insert a background song, make sure it doesn't drown out the sound effects... I'm sure many of us are dying to hear your car at WOT. Somewhere in the video, either in the front or end, I'd mention your name and DynoFlash and your contact information. Decent videos spread like fire online. and you don't want random people claiming they made the video and it's their car, not yours... trust me, it's happened to me.

Good luck, have fun. We'll be looking forward to it. =]