Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how strong is the 4g68?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most I've seen is 447 WHP on stock STi motor. He was running on luck. Anything 400+ WHP on the stock STi motor is pushing it.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I think Kingpin pushed 501awhp from a stock STI motor. Some suby boys I am sure will back this up.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
It's about this strong:

how does that guy go through the door? looks like snake got in.

I think the strength of the motor is determined by the supporting components.

we have good injectors, good spark plugs, good fuel rail, and good pulley system. I think overall design of the engine, not just the block and the head, is what makes the 4g63 a reliable and strong engine.

unlike that guy.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Most I've seen is 447 WHP on stock STi motor. He was running on luck. Anything 400+ WHP on the stock STi motor is pushing it.
From my understand, STi doesn't have forge pistons.

Do we have forge pistons? I know we have hallow cams.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
From my understand, STi doesn't have forge pistons.

Do we have forge pistons? I know we have hallow cams.
No, we do not have forged pistons. Casting techniques have had huge advances in the past decade or so and in many cases, the cast pieces are superior in both strength and durability. Also, true forged pistons tend to have a fair amount of piston slap when the motor is cold as they must be sized smaller than usual because of their greater thermal expansion coeffecient, which is an undesirable characteristic for an OEM design.

The STi does not have forged pistons and while that isn't a problem, the pistons do appear to be the weak link in that motor. Also, I don't know if you've ever looked at the dimensions of an STi cylinder bore, but its like a honda from hell.....HUGE piston with a tiny amount of stroke. The ring langs also appear to be on the fragile side as well which is a bit scary considering that the EJ family of motors tend to be fairly knocky motors in comparison to a cast-iron, inline 4 design like the 4G63, SR20, 1.8T, etc.

Last edited by A418t81; Apr 26, 2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeZaVu
jsut to let you know, this guy isn't actually strong at all. i read an article about him, and the only reason his biceps are that big is because he injects an oil, unknown what kind, into his arms. he barely curls 45 lb dumbbells. and by the way, he was also arrested at a gym for selling steroids... so that's a bad analogy of how strong the evo engine is...

dang...this guy looks like he's 9 months pregant on each arm.....looks like he's hiding 2 small children in there......you can almost make out the head and butt cheeks.....
Old Apr 27, 2005, 03:13 AM

The best block for evo is a b16a

forged pistons and you have monster power

Old Apr 27, 2005, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
lol @ 4g68, but i bet that engine is strong
Thats the new 8 cylinder 3.6L Twin Turbo motor for the Evo XV

^^ SSshh dont tell anyone I told you

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeZaVu
jsut to let you know, this guy isn't actually strong at all. i read an article about him, and the only reason his biceps are that big is because he injects an oil, unknown what kind, into his arms. he barely curls 45 lb dumbbells. and by the way, he was also arrested at a gym for selling steroids... so that's a bad analogy of how strong the evo engine is...
Thanks Encyclopedia Brown... it was simply meant to be a funny picture. Ok, so Gregg Valentino's big arms are worthless, so here's how strong the 4g63 REALLY is, dedicated to DeZaVu

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

that buff guy is like a ricer. its all for looks and looks bad at that
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vegasboy301
4g63 > all
Yup...4G63 is the best 4-banger on the planet!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:38 AM

i know most dont like the car or the owners, but the SRT-4 motor is nothing to take lightly. Fuel bigger turbo without even touching the motor, 550whp easy. someone did 601whp on the stock motor until the oil pump and something else gave out and then boom, took him about 3 days.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StlwantEvo
i know most dont like the car or the owners, but the SRT-4 motor is nothing to take lightly. Fuel bigger turbo without even touching the motor, 550whp easy. someone did 601whp on the stock motor until the oil pump and something else gave out and then boom, took him about 3 days.
Yah, okay...I got 550 WHP on an SRT-4 with just fuel and turbo...bye bye clutch, tranny, and oh BTW, can we race from a roll cuz there's just NFW I'm gonna hook up 550 WHP with FWD...hurry up, I got a date with the "Grenade Fairy"...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StlwantEvo
I've heard the same about the 4G63

A guy I know is running high 10's/sub 11's on a stock 4G63 and 35psi w/ alky
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
Yah, okay...I got 550 WHP on an SRT-4 with just fuel and turbo...bye bye clutch, tranny, and oh BTW, can we race from a roll cuz there's just NFW I'm gonna hook up 550 WHP with FWD...hurry up, I got a date with the "Grenade Fairy"...
For one, the SRT-4 tranny is bullet proof and the stock clutch is good up till 380whp... i've personally cut 1.82 and a 1.79 60' foot at the track with slicks, and trapping 122. When i get retuned i should be able to trap close to 127-128. Most evo owners are cool and this was a decent thread till someone brought the AWD is god complex into the equation. I dont race on the street, im responsible. At the track, AWD is irrelevant to me. AWD is nice,, i just car afford it.

Quick Reply: how strong is the 4g68?