Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how strong is the 4g68?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Thanks Encyclopedia Brown...

I take all those dyno/stock bottom end stories with a grain of salt. 400-450whp, IMO, is a good measuring stick for just about any 4cylinder in the top tier (4G63, SR20DET) and I guess the Neon engine. Anything more and I would suspect the owners turn up the wick, run straight race fuel and pop out an impressive dyno pull just to say they did it and then turn it back down. Even just a few miracle passes down the strip are irrelevant to me, I would rather know what I can make on pump gas and drive it around all the time without worrying about my race gas mixture, a hot day, or any of a hundred of minor maladies that could pop up.

Originally Posted by StlwantEvo
i've personally cut 1.82 and a 1.79 60' foot at the track with slicks, and trapping 122 ... Most evo owners are cool and this was a decent thread till someone brought the AWD is god complex into the equation. I dont race on the street, im responsible. At the track, AWD is irrelevant to me. AWD is nice,, i just car afford it.
Nice 60fts. Way to represent for the FWDs.

Last edited by GPTourer; Apr 28, 2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StlwantEvo
i know most dont like the car or the owners, but the SRT-4 motor is nothing to take lightly. Fuel bigger turbo without even touching the motor, 550whp easy. someone did 601whp on the stock motor until the oil pump and something else gave out and then boom, took him about 3 days.
Just like buying a grenade with the pin 3/4 way pulled out.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yesevo
how about sti motor? they seem to hold big hp w/ no problem
STI= Semi closed deck. Evo= closed deck. Closed deck motor holds boost better. Dont try to run 25+ psi on that ej25.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

ok, i wasnt gonna post but i kinda have to. i own 2 eclipse turbos one awd one fwd both cars have OVER 130k on them and have been driven hard too both motors are still running strong. the fwd has a 16g upgrade and buschur fmic, not the most powerful car out there but still fun. my ra has been abused too and that thing is running great too. in my expierence the 4g63 is one of the best motors out there (ofcourse i haven't had any expierence with any others) but thats my .02
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Ever heard of SRTGIRL? She makes some pretty big power. AWD IS GOD!! Everything else is pointless! OMGOMGLOLFROLFEO WAFFLECRISPS, I CA'nt ere betlieve dat u is sayin dat da awd si not teh bestast!

AWD is not God, but it is better than FWD. It eliminates much of the bad stuff that FWD has (hard to hook up, not good for big power, understeer) and keeps the good stuff (not prone to spinning). The downside is that it can be prone to some understeer, it's expensive, and it's complicated (breaks stuff). That's why it's not an ideal drag platform. It is still better than FWD, though.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Thanks Encyclopedia Brown... it was simply meant to be a funny picture. Ok, so Gregg Valentino's big arms are worthless, so here's how strong the 4g63 REALLY is, dedicated to DeZaVu

sorry you feel that way... i just figured that if someone were to use an anology, maybe a "real deal" like the image you have might have been best... besides, what's with the picture of a guy dropping his pants? something you wanna talk about?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

how s camero and mustang engine?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yesevo
how s camero and mustang engine?
You're going to have to be a lot more specific since both cars have been out for decades and have many different engine options. Oh, and it's CamAro. There are plenty of LS1/LT1 and Ford Mod engine sites to find your answer. We are talking Evos and 4G63s here.