Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

'05 launch control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Tom has not sanctioned this yet, so I don't plan on using it until/if he decides to make one specifically for the Evo.
Who is Tom?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr.mr
Who is Tom?
Tom Dorris, the creator of DSMLink.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dr.mr
Yea, me too my best 60' so far is 1.98.
But now I have a new Exedy twin-disc, so will see what I do next time.
Also I read somewhere that you can remove the third switch on the
clutch pedal that eliminates the launch limiter.
Yeah, I've removed the switch, and it works, but I went ahead and re-attached it just in case there are any other adverse affects unknown at this point. I really want to get to where I can utilize the limiter as a stutterbox for launching, but if I can't, I will just unplug the switch at the track for better launches.

With the clutch you have, you should be able to cut great 60' times. If you can't get the stutterbox to work, then just unplug the switch and launch normally.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have access to the DSMLink forum. Here is the EVO8 link I recently started:

http://www.dsmlink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4260
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:42 AM
Account Disabled

Clutch is stock 5.5K miles on the odom. Est 325whp or so (MD) with at least that in TQ. With the stutter you build 6-8 psi off the line and then the MR spools so frickin fast you have tire spinning torque and full boost almost instantly 25.5+ psi (highest the zeitronix reads & 1st gear only). You have to know how to launch also- no drop/no burn. Let it out a little bit until it starts to move slightly and then let it out the rest of the way swiftly. All the while at 100% TPS from the stutterbox-on. Don't worry about the gas, keep it floored, just worry about the clutch engagement. It is like a 2-step clutch release process. Hope it helps.

Back to my theory, I would be surprised if someone with a MBC would have the problem launching. It may be that the ECU triggers the boost solenoid to lower or something when on the limiter.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Back to my theory, I would be surprised if someone with a MBC would have the problem launching. It may be that the ECU triggers the boost solenoid to lower or something when on the limiter.
Maybe that's it...I dunno. When I use the feathering technique, the car falls on its face completely. The method you described above is exactly how I launch without a limiter, but with this thing, absolutely nothing happens, thus the 2.44 60'. I still fail to see how you could possibly be doing this on a stock clutch when it is so weak and crappy. My tires never break loose, and I often barely move while the clutch slips before engaging completely. I would think this would be MUCH worse with an extra 75 hp, so I dunno. I guess you're just special. I know you're experienced, but as stated previously, I have several hundred AWD launches under my belt, and I used to consider a 1.7x to be BAD. Now, I'd take a 1.7x in a heartbeat, because that would mean a 12.9x in stock form.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
Account Disabled

Maybe that's it...I dunno. When I use the feathering technique, the car falls on its face completely. The method you described above is exactly how I launch without a limiter, but with this thing, absolutely nothing happens, thus the 2.44 60'. I still fail to see how you could possibly be doing this on a stock clutch when it is so weak and crappy. My tires never break loose, and I often barely move while the clutch slips before engaging completely. I would think this would be MUCH worse with an extra 75 hp, so I dunno. I guess you're just special. I know you're experienced, but as stated previously, I have several hundred AWD launches under my belt, and I used to consider a 1.7x to be BAD. Now, I'd take a 1.7x in a heartbeat, because that would mean a 12.9x in stock form.
I think it's either you or your car. Being that you are so experienced, it must be the car then. I just built another MR for a local guy 18yrs old and doesn't know how to drive well. He did a 2.0x 60' last night. He probably has more power than you though so ?. My tires rarely break loose but with the extra boost and tq last night I spun all 4 and others said it got a little sideways on the launch. I was busy watching a/f's, egt's and shift points. THE CLUTCH IS GOOD on the Evo's, it is the DISC that is a little soft to protect the trans. Circumventing some of the weak links are a SS clutch line and clutch restrictor removed. I mainly did this to prolong the life in everyday driving and help quicken the gear changes.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've used the stock 5k launcher to get consistant 1.8x short times, with the biggest limitation being the strength of the stock clutch. I started with part throttle stutter than release the clutch and decided that full throttle works the best. I do remember a few times where the clutch was spinning quite a bit and then at the top of 1st it finally caught up... I'm putting in a SS clutch line to get the engagement a little stronger when releasing the clutch to buy me some time but this car is bone stock right now. Seems like either people's clutches are already fried or there is something different amongst the cars.

BTW I would be EXTREMELY interested in a DSMLink ecu mod for my evo since having the same program for both cars would be much easier than messing with the Super AFC2 or going full out standalone.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I've used the stock 5k launcher to get consistant 1.8x short times, with the biggest limitation being the strength of the stock clutch. I started with part throttle stutter than release the clutch and decided that full throttle works the best. I do remember a few times where the clutch was spinning quite a bit and then at the top of 1st it finally caught up... I'm putting in a SS clutch line to get the engagement a little stronger when releasing the clutch to buy me some time but this car is bone stock right now. Seems like either people's clutches are already fried or there is something different amongst the cars.

BTW I would be EXTREMELY interested in a DSMLink ecu mod for my evo since having the same program for both cars would be much easier than messing with the Super AFC2 or going full out standalone.
You're exactly right. I think there are some out there that are trying off the limiter at part throttle. Like I said 100% TPS. Throttle full open. I did burn it once last night because I with all this talk about stutterbox/no stutterbox I wanted to try it without. D'oh! After I smoked the clutch through 1st I was amazed that the hot clutch did a 1.71 the next launch off the limiter.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yah, we know that, but a few people like dsm95hybrid swear that it works like a charm, as if it were a built-in stutterbox. Most of us are severely limited by it, while he seems to thrive on it. It could be that he makes a lot more hp and is able to launch at that exact rpm, but my car at stock HP can't do anything with the stutterbox.
Yeah my car is totally stock, and it works just like it's supposed to, except the stock clutch doesnt like an 8 psi load off the line..
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Knyght
Yeah my car is totally stock, and it works just like it's supposed to, except the stock clutch doesnt like an 8 psi load off the line..
Did I mention my clutch is stock?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Did I mention my clutch is stock?
Yes, which makes it all the more unbelievable, since the rest of us don't get anywhere near the same behavior from our stock clutches. You did mention 2 modifications to your stock clutch, which make it kinda hard to consider your clutch SYSTEM to be stock, even though the pressure plate and disc themselves are stock.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I heard, doesn't make my situation any better that your clutch is stock..

I have 3,000 on the odometer and I've had it since 12 miles. I've done everything proper to break it in, decided to do a launch the other day with 100% TPS with 8 PSI and it slipped all the way in 1st. Smelled bad for about 2 days..

I didn't just drop the clutch either.. (and I know how to launch I get consistant 1.6-1.7 on my talon)
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have 3,000 on the odometer and I've had it since 12 miles. I've done everything proper to break it in, decided to do a launch the other day with 100% TPS with 8 PSI and it slipped all the way in 1st. Smelled bad for about 2 days..

I didn't just drop the clutch either.. (and I know how to launch I get consistant 1.6-1.7 on my talon)
Yeah, mine stunk bad enough after 2 tries off the limiter (at the track) that I packed up and called it quits. I only got one good run in all day (my first), so I didn't want to leave, but after all the horror stories, I wasn't willing to risk anything with the clutch smelling bad already. I've fried enough clutches in my DSMs over the years to recognize the smell of impending doom.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

Sounds like you slipped it too slow. Boost may have something to do with it also. My 1st gear spike is 26psi or so which may help deliver you out of the hole. I would like to drive one of these cars that "cannot launch of the limiter" to see for myself what the hell is going on.

Quick Reply: '05 launch control