Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

'05 launch control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Sounds like you slipped it too slow. Boost may have something to do with it also. My 1st gear spike is 26psi or so which may help deliver you out of the hole. I would like to drive one of these cars that "cannot launch of the limiter" to see for myself what the hell is going on.
Just wish you would have done some yourself before throwing on mods so fast. Did you not do any baseline runs to make sure you knew what you could do stock, and so that you would know exactly how much you gained from mods?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Just wish you would have done some yourself before throwing on mods so fast. Did you not do any baseline runs to make sure you knew what you could do stock, and so that you would know exactly how much you gained from mods?
Uh- yeah... There are some assumptions being made here. At about 900 mi it was baseline dynoed and tracked shortly thereafter in Dec. I was learning how to launch this car at that time and took me a couple visits to figure it out. Those would probably be poor examples due to this.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Uh- yeah... There are some assumptions being made here. At about 900 mi it was baseline dynoed and tracked shortly thereafter in Dec. I was learning how to launch this car at that time and took me a couple visits to figure it out. Those would probably be poor examples due to this.
Yes, but once you figured it out, what happened? Did you not figure it out until you put on mods? If so, might that be circumstantial evidence that your method is only plausible due to the extra power being made (or due to the clutch system modifications...or both)?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

i thought RS models doesn't have rev limiter?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by silvery_eagle
i thought RS models doesn't have rev limiter?
All '05's -use the search function.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you slipped it too slow. Boost may have something to do with it also. My 1st gear spike is 26psi or so which may help deliver you out of the hole. I would like to drive one of these cars that "cannot launch of the limiter" to see for myself what the hell is going on.
I think you got me wrong

I "can" launch it off the limiter, the problem is the clutch cannot handle the power. The car does move and it does not bog or anything. The clutch itself is the problem with my car. Trust me, I'm getting 8/10 psi off the line and as soon as it launches it spikes to 24, BUT guess what, clutch is slipping and smelling, and I'm not going as fast as it should. I do not have any boost drop, just stock clutch failure

I actually got a chance to meet dsm95hybrid tonight at the track and you told me that maybe the reason is because I dont have enough power? I have a question, if I put more opwer to the wheels how would that solve an already slipping clutch?

Edit: On a side note.. I dont know how the hell evos can go 13.0 @ 104 stock... The very best I could do tonight was 2.0 60' and 14.1 @ 98mph. I dont know whats the deal, I know I'm running good boost and I know I can drive.. 2.0 60 foot is the best I could do without frying the clutch even more.

Last edited by Knyght; Apr 29, 2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Knyght
I think you got me wrong

I "can" launch it off the limiter, the problem is the clutch cannot handle the power. The car does move and it does not bog or anything. The clutch itself is the problem with my car. Trust me, I'm getting 8/10 psi off the line and as soon as it launches it spikes to 24, BUT guess what, clutch is slipping and smelling, and I'm not going as fast as it should. I do not have any boost drop, just stock clutch failure

I actually got a chance to meet dsm95hybrid tonight at the track and you told me that maybe the reason is because I dont have enough power? I have a question, if I put more opwer to the wheels how would that solve an already slipping clutch?

Edit: On a side note.. I dont know how the hell evos can go 13.0 @ 104 stock... The very best I could do tonight was 2.0 60' and 14.1 @ 98mph. I dont know whats the deal, I know I'm running good boost and I know I can drive.. 2.0 60 foot is the best I could do without frying the clutch even more.
I "can" launch it off the limiter, the problem is the clutch cannot handle the power.
All 219 blazing stock whp right? I hope you do realize the same clutch in my car is holding over a hundred more HP & TQ perfectly fine.

Couple things. #1, you're car is not making 8-10psi off the line. It is more like 6-8psi off the limiter. I can show you datalogs if you wish. #2 if you are spiking to 24psi on a stock RS on pump gas then you are asking for trouble and probably detonating/ pulling timing which is probably contributing to your ****ty 14.1 @ 98mph. You should be at about 100-101. Turn down your boost and you should be faster. You stated your car has only 3k miles on it and you just started to track it. I will tell you that with practice you will figure out the launch. It is not like an ACT 2600 on a DSM. The MR is my 10th DSM. Like I told you I pulled some slips from Dec a month after I bought it and noticed it took me a couple of visits to get it down. Once you get it, it is 2nd nature.

I actually got a chance to meet dsm95hybrid tonight at the track and you told me that maybe the reason is because I dont have enough power? I have a question, if I put more opwer to the wheels how would that solve an already slipping clutch
I look at your words here and I look at my 4 1.7x 60' slips from tonight and don't understand how you question proof like that. Not sure if you were watching my runs, but how could you question it if you saw it with your own eyes. 325-330whp and about that in tq. The clutch WILL slip if the launch is not perfect. 2 of my runs burned a little more than the others but were still in the 1.7's. This makes about 74 passes on this "crappy clutch".
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I look at your words here and I look at my 4 1.7x 60' slips from tonight and don't understand how you question proof like that. Not sure if you were watching my runs, but how could you question it if you saw it with your own eyes. 325-330whp and about that in tq. The clutch WILL slip if the launch is not perfect. 2 of my runs burned a little more than the others but were still in the 1.7's. This makes about 74 passes on this "crappy clutch".
Didn't you do 2 modifications to your clutch system? You are obviously not the norm, as no one else seems to be able to utilize the stutterbox as well as you, and no one else can make the stock clutch last that long with 330whp and 75 launches.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Didn't you do 2 modifications to your clutch system? You are obviously not the norm, as no one else seems to be able to utilize the stutterbox as well as you, and no one else can make the stock clutch last that long with 330whp and 75 launches.
I don't see too many '05's in this thread and even less MR's so maybe a poll would help. There is a $29 clutch line in there and a freebie restrictor removal which basically helps with quick shifts and reduces wear if driven properly. I noticed knyght's launch characteristics are different from what you described as he stated the car does not fall on its face and shuts down liks your description.

Last edited by dsm95hybrid; Apr 29, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

All 219 blazing stock whp right? I hope you do realize the same clutch in my car is holding over a hundred more HP & TQ perfectly fine.

Couple things. #1, you're car is not making 8-10psi off the line. It is more like 6-8psi off the limiter. I can show you datalogs if you wish. #2 if you are spiking to 24psi on a stock RS on pump gas then you are asking for trouble and probably detonating/ pulling timing which is probably contributing to your ****ty 14.1 @ 98mph. You should be at about 100-101. Turn down your boost and you should be faster. You stated your car has only 3k miles on it and you just started to track it. I will tell you that with practice you will figure out the launch. It is not like an ACT 2600 on a DSM. The MR is my 10th DSM. Like I told you I pulled some slips from Dec a month after I bought it and noticed it took me a couple of visits to get it down. Once you get it, it is 2nd nature.

Dont be so quick to conclusion. As I said my car is stock, therefore no boost controller, so how would I "Turn down the boost" The car is spiking 22/24 psi on it's own. And if you dont believe my 8/10 psi next time I see you, you can look at my boost gauge. I put one in temporary just to see how much boost off the line I'm making.

One thing is dood, each car is different. Especially turbo cars. You owning your 10th DSM should know that they were all different.

Personally I think you are just as standoffish and arrogant in person as you are on the board. Dam dood whats so bad about helping people out that pisses you off? I've seen other threads where you like to add "Use the search button, moderators close this thread" WTF are you serious? Did you ever listen to your mom, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it.

BTW I did see your launch, and it didn't seem any more spectacular than mine. One major point is you taking the restricter pill out allows you to let out the clutch faster because the fluid in your slave cylinder can evacuate back into the master cylinder without hinderance. On another point, you are modified and this thread was for stock 05's trying to launch. So in your own words..

MODERATORS CLOSE THIS THREAD

defender of the free world has spoken..
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's my .02 on the 05's with the limiter. I drove my friends 05 rs at the track the other day. my second pass I went 8.62 (1/8th mile) and it's completely bone stock. what I had to do, to keep it from bogging, is let the car start to accelerate. as the car starts to roll I start swiftly letting off that clutch but makeing sure my rpms didn't fall below 5k. I didn't get a time slip that night, but I can definately bet my 60ft's where in the mid to low 1.7. my way of launching in my evo is very similar. I just have to keep my rpms and boost up by slipping the clutch at 5k till the car can actually hold that rpm and accelerate from there. My best time with this method on my car has netted a low 1.7 60ft and a 7.98@90mph with my current setup. I think if I could get my 60ft's down in the 1.6 range. I could easily drop a tenth or so off my time.

-Chad-
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tommorow I am going to the track to pay almost 50 bux for 1 or 2 practice runs before brackets, which sux..Anyway, I am going to go with dsm95's technique and give it a try..I will try a few launches before I get to the track to get a feel and I will be doing wot on the limiter until I shift to 2nd..If I can't get it to work out I am disconnecting the clutch switch..14.1@98 is very slow for a stock 05 no matter which model..I hit 103.8 trap speed and the passes could have been better,only got to make 2..This time around I have a mail in flash that I got from al when I was at the track last time, so I figure about 20-30hp more..I am guessing I should be able to hit about 105-106 trap speeds and with a good 1.7 60ft should put me around 12.7 12.8 but we'll see, last time out I only managed 13.3 w/ 2.0 short time..I'll update tommorow night..
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dsm95hybrid,

Can you post up some datalogs that include timing readings while launching off the limiter??Are you getting any retard at all??I think since I still have my Palm I may invest in a pocketlogger obd3, any real differences between that and tunerstien ect.?I also agree removing the restrictor in the clutch hydro system can reduce wear to the disc since it will make for slightly less slippage in 2nd and up up-shifts..While the stock disc may wear fairly fast, as long as you don't burn the crap out of it, you should be fine for quite awhile drag racing as long as you have some sort of mechanical sympathy..I think people are wearing the clutch faster doing the sissy 3-4000 slip then go technique..Too many people are too nervous about breaking a TC or something and not launching cleanly..The car isn't gonna break!!

Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that 14 was about right for a stock Evo in hot and humid Florida weather, at least that's what was being said in another thread.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

....The car is spiking 22/24 psi on it's own. And if you dont believe my 8/10 psi next time I see you, you can look at my boost gauge. I put one in temporary just to see how much boost off the line I'm making.
Probably miscalibrated then. I use an AEM 3.5bar map sensor for my reading, not a ****ty mechanical one.

Personally I think you are just as standoffish and arrogant in person as you are on the board. Dam dood whats so bad about helping people out that pisses you off? I've seen other threads where you like to add "Use the search button, moderators close this thread" WTF are you serious? Did you ever listen to your mom, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it.
When someone tells me something contraditory to what I know is fact they should be put in their place.
I have no problem helping people when they listen. Many of the DSM/Evo guys from Orlando to Daytona have looked to me for advice and received it no problem. There is a new Evo in my garage every weekend getting worked on and that would not be the case if they did not trust in my sound advice. I am sorry you felt that I had to cut our conversation short as "the fast lanes 13.99 and faster were called up and I needed not to hold up the line behind me and get my helmet on. Hope you will join me in lanes 5 & 6.

BTW I did see your launch, and it didn't seem any more spectacular than mine. One major point is you taking the restricter pill out allows you to let out the clutch faster because the fluid in your slave cylinder can evacuate back into the master cylinder without hinderance. On another point, you are modified and this thread was for stock 05's trying to launch. So in your own words..
A 1.7x vs a 2.0x is a pretty spectacular difference especially when is have been claimed to not be able to be done.
As far as I remember the thread was about lauching off the stock limiter, not stock cars. Either way My car was stock with a limiter at one time.

If you have enough time to research all of my posts then you obviously have enough extra time on your hands to practice launching. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: '05 launch control