Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

'05 launch control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 launch control

I know a few people were wondering and I got a chance to try it out on my '05 RS

Warrtalon: It works just like my talon upon engaging the clutch, so I dont know whats up with the MR, I was able to launch on 8 psi

Now there is a bad side to this, the motor said yes! to 8 psi, the stock clutch said no! to 8 psi as it slipped pretty bad. Even the stock clutch on my Talon was able to launch at 4,500 with about 10 psi.

lol

Well I guess I'll just drive it around until the clutch cant clutch no more, then ACT
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knyght
I know a few people were wondering and I got a chance to try it out on my '05 RS

Warrtalon: It works just like my talon upon engaging the clutch, so I dont know whats up with the MR, I was able to launch on 8 psi

Now there is a bad side to this, the motor said yes! to 8 psi, the stock clutch said no! to 8 psi as it slipped pretty bad. Even the stock clutch on my Talon was able to launch at 4,500 with about 10 psi.

lol

Well I guess I'll just drive it around until the clutch cant clutch no more, then ACT
I doubt the MR is different, but I still can't get it to do anything. I've tried it several times, and it just doesn't work. It immediately bogs, then bounces a little, then launches...horrible compared to any real launch I've ever done.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I thought it was only me. On my '05, when I was getting rid of my stock clutch, I just dumped it from 4k. The car bogged down and then slowly started rolling and building up speed. Glad it's not just me.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If u read Mitsu says this isn't really a "launch control" that's designed to give you an optimal launch. It's a safety feature for the drive train to try and keep people from doing 6k launches all the time.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Put people launch all the time? So can you launch at whatever RPM you want in the Evo or can't you?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:38 AM

ron, the evo's ecu limits the rpm and boost pressure to keep you from blowing the transfer case out of the car, and to save their asses on warranty work

you can setup your aftermarket ecu to let you launch but there's always a trade off in treating your car like that, usually something breaking sooner rather then later
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:39 AM

you gotz to be professional at it. i had my evo for 3 months now and i still cant lauch it hard. im able to launch the car w/out any bogs or slips but what i want is to be able to launce it where i can hear a lil tire screech and then zoom bye bye sti's. I posted the "perfect launch" thread and i was told the only way you could do this is put a lot of gas. 5000 rpms an up, but im scurd to do that.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

The only variable I can think of is that if using the stock boost control, maybe the boost gets limited off the limiter. I pulled a 1.71 60' last night off the limiter and a hallman proRX Evolution for a 12.36 E/T on the MR. Also have 70 passes on the limiter and works awesome.

Last edited by dsm95hybrid; Apr 28, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A few folks are using DSMLink in EVO's. You get the studder box launch as well as no lift to shift. Kind of a cheap investment if you ask me. I haven't tried it in mine yet but I just might go for it this summer.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
The only variable I can think of is that if using the stock boost control, maybe the boost gets limited off the limiter. I pulled a 1.71 60' last night off the limiter and a hallman proRX Evolution for a 12.36 E/T on the MR. Also have 70 passes on the limiter and works awesome.

So you just drop the clutch at 5000 rpm when the limiter is on and it doesn't bog??
Do you have a stock clutch?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Stock clutch? I just don't see how the stock clutch could possibly cut a 60' time like that when you can only launch at 5k rpm. It just absolutely does not do jack squat when I try to ram it home off the stutterbox. I wish it did, because that would be much more reliable and reproducable than my own method without the limiter. Or maybe because I'm at stock hp while you are over 300hp...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dr.mr
So you just drop the clutch at 5000 rpm when the limiter is on and it doesn't bog??
Do you have a stock clutch?
When I do this, it bogs everytime...crappy for 60' times.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
A few folks are using DSMLink in EVO's. You get the studder box launch as well as no lift to shift. Kind of a cheap investment if you ask me. I haven't tried it in mine yet but I just might go for it this summer.
Tom has not sanctioned this yet, so I don't plan on using it until/if he decides to make one specifically for the Evo.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oak2207
If u read Mitsu says this isn't really a "launch control" that's designed to give you an optimal launch. It's a safety feature for the drive train to try and keep people from doing 6k launches all the time.
Yah, we know that, but a few people like dsm95hybrid swear that it works like a charm, as if it were a built-in stutterbox. Most of us are severely limited by it, while he seems to thrive on it. It could be that he makes a lot more hp and is able to launch at that exact rpm, but my car at stock HP can't do anything with the stutterbox.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
When I do this, it bogs everytime...crappy for 60' times.
Yea, me too my best 60' so far is 1.98.
But now I have a new Exedy twin-disc, so will see what I do next time.
Also I read somewhere that you can remove the third switch on the
clutch pedal that eliminates the launch limiter.

Quick Reply: '05 launch control