Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tired of chipping calipers? fix inside..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tired of chipping calipers? fix inside..

I got tired of the clear coat chipping on my calipers, and i know mitsu wont warranty the work and neither will brembo so i decided to take things into my own hands.

you will need a few tools.

1: a nice wire brush. something like this:

2: Dupli-Color Ceramic engine enamel Clear # DE1636

3: Either brake cleaner, or some type of mtal cleaner solvent. I got this stuff called Gunk Spuer Spray parts, tools & metal surface cleaner worked great.

4: toothbrush that you dont use.

5: masking tape

6: patience and time.

Jack the car up and take the wheel off, and start scraping all the chipped paint off the caliper. When i was through, i had all the clear coat off the front face of the caliper except for the part that had the brembo logo on it, and some of the claer coat off the sides. I guess these areas are the most affected. Anyways, use the metyal cleaner to clean everything off, and use the toothbrush to clean in the little areas that you cant get into with a rag or something. Once you are happy with the amount of clear coat that you have scraped off get a paper towel or soemthing and rub the bare paint with it. Rub it pretty hard as you want to create a slightly smooth surface. ITs almost like sanding it with a very very fine sand paper. you want to get all the grooves that the wire brush left out.

When you're done, mask off any unprotected areas and spray a very very light coat on. let it dry for 5 mi nutes or so, and then put on another light coat. Once the second coat is dry 10 minutes later go ahead and put on a thicker coat, let dry or 15 min and do one last thicker coat. then you're done. Repeat for the other side. The clear coat wont be as perfectly flat and smooth as the stock clear coat, but it will look a hell of a lot better than that yellow chipping crap that ive been looking at for the last year.

Here's a pic of what it looks like when it's done.

Attached Thumbnails Tired of chipping calipers? fix inside..-rotors.jpg  
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! How do you like your rotors? I'm considering these as a replacement for the stockers when I'm ready to replace 'em.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

rotors are great. very smooth under hard braking.

little more pedal effort than stock, but you can stand on these things and they will stop.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome