Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo windshield is different from Lancer windshield

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the lancer windshield put in for $200 installed. It still has the "3rd visor" and also has the blue tint on the top.. I drive on the highway 100+ miles every day and there is not one pit or chip in this one yet... I like it 100++++ times better.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AUSS1E
hehe...here in KY they are covered under insurance if you have comprehensive. And they dont count as a claim. Sounds like it is not that way in other states
It is in VA... I paid Geico the $50 cover and they sent a company to do it right in my driveway while I waited...
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

my story goes like this. My windshield cracked and called a local glass company. told them my car 03 evo. So they brought a oem one, when they pulled out my stock one, i realized they were the exact same. So I'm like cool. The bad thing is my stock rear mirror did not fit. the brackets are not the same i guess. so my assumption was it was a lancer's. So two weeks no rear mirror and two days ago my my windshield cracked again. I'm pissed, i got bad luck or something, it was from a rock. Oh well... Time to get a new one i guess
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

I had mine replaced back in July 03, courtesy of a rock.
The glass is different, but the normal lancer glass does fit. I drove around for 3 days until the glass shop got the correct piece in.

The only difference as far as they could tell was the rear-view mirror clip.
one was a ball type, one was a clip type. Can't remember which is which, but the por guy who had to replace mine 2x sure does.

They had to get the correct glass so the rear-view mirror would fit back on
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I hope progressive can do the same, I got hit by a fast rock and caused some damage.

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
It is in VA... I paid Geico the $50 cover and they sent a company to do it right in my driveway while I waited...
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have a lancer windshield on mine. Almost a year this June.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is there a "generic Evo" windsheild or not? Some people complain of having rear view mirror issues, and some don't...
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
So is there a "generic Evo" windsheild or not? Some people complain of having rear view mirror issues, and some don't...

i paid 200 or 250 bucks for my LANCER windshield. Ive had no rear view mirror problems of any kind. For those who wound up paying 500 bucks for windshields, i feel sorry for.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem with the rearview mirror, the install guy noticed it and removed the clip and installed my original clip with some heavy duty 2-part adhesive. so far 1000 miles and a few hot days and no problems.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYEVO8
i had the same problem with the rearview mirror, the install guy noticed it and removed the clip and installed my original clip with some heavy duty 2-part adhesive. so far 1000 miles and a few hot days and no problems.
That reminds me, this same thing happened to me. They put my original clip back on with some quick drying glue of some type...
Old Apr 30, 2005, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real problem is that the quarry trucks (or whatever) are no longer responsible for a rock that comes off the back of their truck and and gets propelled into winshields I contacted the company that was responsible for my winshield - they took all of my information with vigor and said thanks; have a nice day

Some years ago, you could contact the trucking company and have them pay for it

I'd love to see a cop pull-over a makeshift sandblaster (quarry truck) instead of one of us punks for having a wing on our car
Old May 4, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NYEVO8
Exactly what they did on my car, saved a lot of $$$
Old May 12, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I'm about as confused as you. Right now my car is sitting out in the parking lot, wiper blades pointed to the sky, weather stripping sitting on the grass, Big ventilation whole in the front of my car, while the glass guy heads back to the supplier with the second replacement piece of glass, my old mirror and the new mirror that they ordered(Both the same BTW). He is hopefully going to return with a new piece of glass that will fit my car. Now Im not holding my breath as to if the mirror will fit, or if it is the correct glass for an EVO. But I am about beyond caring. I will updade in an hour or so hopefull......Hopefully before the rain gets here.
AUS
Old May 12, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well here is the deal I found out today. If you have an 03 evo and order the correct part number windshield for an evo (ie without the tint strip) then it comes with the mirror bracket that is incorrect. But if you get an 04 Evo windshield then it will have the correct mirror bracket. At least that is what I was told. Anyway, the correct bracket is a little metal one, and the incorrect one is a plastic one with a spring inside it. For some reason they changed it.
Again....the incorrect one is classified as an 02-03 windshield.....and the correct one is an 04 up
Aus