Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Decisions, decisions.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions, decisions.....need advice

Well, first off i'll say i'm in the military-Air Force. I just found out I will be moving(PCSing) to Peterson AFB, CO next year. I've been waiting awhile to get a 03-04 Cobra but now this. I have two choices so please help me decide which one- A)Keep my daily driver for the winters there(2002 Galant that is paid for) and get a Cobra for the nicer months. B)Sell my galant for downpayment on 06 Evo IX that I could use all year long. Thanks for the inputs in advance.

Last edited by kball83; Apr 28, 2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Drive the Cobra then drive the Evo and pick that one u like more!

NOT THAT HARD!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
Former Vendor

if your going to take care of the car and not mod the **** out of it.. buy the evo.. and thank you for serving our country..
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well regardless of what cars you choose, I have always thought taht 2 cars are better than one. If you can afford to have a run-of-the-mill daily driver and a "fun" car, go for that. Now, the cars you choose to fill these roles are up to you.

I assume that "cobra" means Mustang cobra? What year?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

What year cobra. The new Shelby GT500 Cobra is going to be nice. I would buy the Evo tough.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 04:06 PM

The cobra would be an 03-04 model. Is it feasible to drive an Evo all year long though because if I did that-lots more $$$ for mods. Thanks again for the input. Thank you also for the appreciation. It means a lot.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 05:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
... and thank you for serving our country..
Yes sir, thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
if your going to take care of the car and not mod the **** out of it.. buy the evo.. and thank you for serving our country..

Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you want to go stupid fast in one direction, then the Cobra is for you.

If you like turning, make your first one away from the Cobra.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:13 PM

Well i've only drag raced but reading other post about the sea level.....not sure if i'm going to like it up there or not. I'm from TX-born and raised so.. yeah. Are there any autocross tracks around colorado springs???I could definently get into that I believe.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kball83
A)Keep my daily driver for the winters there(2002 Galant that is paid for) and get a Cobra for the nicer months.
it a tough choice , but i would go with getting a second car. now if the 2nd car was an evo this would be an easy choice
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:11 PM

I live in Colorado Springs and have a modded 03 EVO. It is a great car for Colorado and a lot of fun in the mountains, but we don't get nearly as much snow as people think. 4wd is nice, but there are very few days when you need it. Even when it snows the sun comes out quickly and the roads melt off fast. If you lived further up in the mountains it would be a different story, but drive the Cobra and the EVO and pick the one that suits you.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigmac
I live in Colorado Springs and have a modded 03 EVO. It is a great car for Colorado and a lot of fun in the mountains, but we don't get nearly as much snow as people think. 4wd is nice, but there are very few days when you need it. Even when it snows the sun comes out quickly and the roads melt off fast. If you lived further up in the mountains it would be a different story, but drive the Cobra and the EVO and pick the one that suits you.

Thanks for the info-very helpful. Wish I could get both. What would you say you see more of in Colorado Springs???Evo vs. Cobra? Thanks again.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Also keep in mind that if you get the EVO, you'll need to put some all-season tires on it before it can be considered a "four season" car.

Cabo
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:04 PM

KBall...I too am active duty Air Force and also from TX. Lived in C Sprgs for almost three years before PCSing to the DC area

Colorado Springs is the GREATEST...you're gonna love it! The mountain roads are outstanding and the EVO will be a blast there. The earlier post about not as much snow is absolutely correct. You will have some but it is usually gone within 1-2 days...having the beater with either car will be fine for those days. The only drawback I noticed regarding the EVO in deep snow is the low frontend...it tends to plow a little but even that's not too big a deal.

Like others have said...drive both cars back to back and get the one you really like but keep the beater. If you're looking for only one, every day, all season fun car go with a regular WRX (oh blasphemy). Seriously, it's cheaper and has better ground clearance and you probably wouldn't need two cars in that case.

Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy the Springs...I'll bet it will end up being your best assignment...Check out the Farrish camping area through MWR...absolutely beautiful.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions.....need advice