Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

V1 Hardwire: where is this wire?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1 Hardwire: where is this wire?

I found this on the a previous but where is this wire?

Just tap into the red/yellow (sunroof) wire down the a pillar...

thanks

staton
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Huh?
Evolving Member

For a V1 Radar Detector?

On any car I had my detector in, I just tapped it into the fuse box, 15 amp fuse.
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
Huh?
I think he's avoiding the obnoxious coil into the cigarette lighter, and hard wiring the AC/DC adapter cable that comes with it.

That's what I did. Makes for a clean look.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Ohh, I'm assuming he "quoted" the second line... I see.

On their site they stress that the V1 has enough power, I wonder if 15 amps is enough.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

how do you tap into the fuse box? I've never hard wired anything before and I think the how-to on this site is to much work for such an easy task.

but on a previous post someone said if we had a sunroof we could tap into a red/yellow wire that was leading to the sunroof or off of it?

staton
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

how do you tap into the fuse box? I've never hard wired anything before and I think the how-to on this site is to much work for such an easy task.
With my BEL Vector 985 I stripped the end of the positive wire, exposing 1 inch of it and took out at a 15 amp fuse. I wrapped the exposed wire from the positive cable around the metal prongs of the fuse and plugged it back in. Then I stripped an inch off the ground cable and found an unpainted nut/thread and wrapped it around the thread, and tightened the nut over ontop of it.

I used the accessories fuse, so it came on when my key was turned to atleast ACC, or fully started. Right now, for some reason, I have it on a fuse where it's always on. It doesn't bother me nor does it drain the battery in any sense.

On their site they stress that the V1 has enough power, I wonder if 15 amps is enough.
If 15 amps isn't enough (although it should be) then hook the positive wire to a 20 amp fuse then. :]
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

You just need a little connecter from Autozone, it looks like a pitch fork, just pull a fuse and take it to Autozone, and match the width inbetween the prongs of the fuse with a connector. Then you just splice the wire, and crimp it into the connector, then place the connector into the fusebox slot.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

now that's what i'm talking about. good stuff guys thanks alot this went from a 2 hour install to about 5 minutes haha good good stuff!

staton
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
You just need a little connecter from Autozone, it looks like a pitch fork, just pull a fuse and take it to Autozone, and match the width inbetween the prongs of the fuse with a connector. Then you just splice the wire, and crimp it into the connector, then place the connector into the fusebox slot.
That works too.. lol. :]

Didn't know thos existed. Hence why I did mine the way I did, haha. It's a pain to get the fuse back in sometimes if you wrapped the exposed wire around it too much and made it thicker than it is. Have to shimmy it in a bit with a fuse removal tool. One of those little clampers.

But yeah *points up* That's how I did it. Been running fine for 2 years like that. Nothing has blown up.. yet :]

Originally Posted by thestaton
now that's what i'm talking about. good stuff guys thanks alot this went from a 2 hour install to about 5 minutes haha good good stuff!

staton
No problem! Glad I could help you for once. I owed ya for all that awesome radar/laser advice.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

one more thing when I hit up autozone should I get a 15 or 20 amp fuse? it is required to have 12 volts...sorry dont know much about this sort of thing!

thanks staton
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

The radar detector circuit won't need any special size fuse. It'll pull much less power than any of those numbers. You essentially pick a fuse that's big enough, but not too much bigger than the expected current flow. I'd imagine that the radar detector would draw just a couple hundred milliamps so a small 2.5A or 5A fuse is fine.
-N
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't need a fuse with the method I showed you.

And it will work better than "wrapping the wire around the fuse and shoving it back in" method.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

mooreboost: you are correct sorry I was reading it wrong but I see what you are talking about now! good deal and thanks everyone for your help!

staton
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Glad it worked out for you.