Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil changes, maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil changes, maintenance?

I am thinking about getting an evo and was wondering where you guys go to get your oil changed and how much does it cost? Do you go to normal shops or to the dealer? Also, how often do you normally get maintence done and how much?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

i let the dealer do the first oil change and that was it.. just to check the computer after breaki n.. 120 dollars was too much.. i do my own since... use factory filter and mobil 1.. trans i do every other oil change. everything else is is done at factory milage intervals.. cost really isnt that much more than any other car.. aside from the 4 dollars a quart for the mobil 1..
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I go to the garage to change my oil. No need for dealership or shops, you can do it yourself. 5qt of Mobil 1 at Walmart is $20 and oem oil filter is $5-$7. I change my oil every 3k miles and all other fluids (tranny & etc..) evey 3 oil changes.

There are countless threads on this.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott
I am thinking about getting an evo and was wondering where you guys go to get your oil changed and how much does it cost? Do you go to normal shops or to the dealer? Also, how often do you normally get maintence done and how much?
It may not be the norm, but since I have an 05, I got the 3year/45k-mile free maintenance, and I plan on using every bit of it. They only recommend changing the oil every 5k miles, since the car uses fully synthetic oil, so I went to the dealer at around 4500 miles and had them do the first 5k service. They did the oil change and checked all the fluids, performed the TSB on the windshield rattle, and then checked out my brakes to make sure they were all in good shape. None of it cost a cent, and everything was in perfect condition when I got it back. I am not putting on miles fast enough to take advantage of the 45k mile portion, so I'm going to go according to the time portion. It's supposed to be 9 free services with the 15/30/45k ones being more extensive than just oil changes, so I'm going to go every 4 months (4X9=36months=3 years) to have my services done for free.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

The new Evo's come with the free service plans now...

I change my own oil during spring, fall and summer. The oil is the most expensive part of this b/c we need the Mobil 1 synthetic...

When it's cold during the winter, I change it at Walmart. I give the guy the OEM crusher ring, filter, and they have the Mobil 1 at Walmart. think they only charge $15 bucks for labor. They're handbook is retarded...its says we need 5.25 Q of oil when we really need 4.75, so just remind the guy about that.

But still, do all your own maintenance, that way you can trust your own work and not someone else's.

There's a How-To section on this even for oil changes.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I get mine done by a friend @ his shop. Charges me cost for parts, about $30, and he does it too!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=128821
we actually dont need to do it that much
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

i do it myself... my friend runs a garage and i get to use his lift, oil disposal, and dealer connections (i buy a case of oil filters at a time)... so it's super cheap for me which leads me to change my oil a lot.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

my dship do it every 3k! yes i know mitsu says every 5k but if you run your car hard they actually say do it every 3k! and since i do i change it every 3k especially since it is free! If you are a biaaaaaaatch like me dealerships give you what you want i.e if they want good evaluation
for those of you who run your car hard you need to see what MITSU says in their ISO manual about service!. I have them also! PM me if you r interested!