Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RPM staying very high on my 05 Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RPM staying very high on my 05 Evo

This is the third day in a row it is happening, the rpms stay very high after I drive hard. I drive a 05 EVO MR and it is becoming a real uncomfortable driving situation.

Basicly this is what happens:

The car iddles very well(I only have tb and air filter with cat delete). Once you step on the gas the car revs up well and no hesitation from the engine. You can go up from first to 4th or 5th but it you were flooring it and you start to barke for a trafic light or a stop sign the engine will not bring down the rpms at all.

The rpms stay high for no less than 5 seconds. This situation is a pita because you don't want to start driving in firsts gear again at 4k. You can try to engage lets say 2nd gear and release the clutch but the rpms will remain high.

I called my buddy Edwin which has a 05 EVO MR as well and he has the same problem, identical situation. My buddy traded a 03 EVO for the 05 MR and he never had problems on the 03.

Please any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old May 3, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
throttle cables getting stuck?
Old May 3, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an MR as well, but i've never experienced anything like what you're describing.

so if you just push the clutch in the RPMs stay high? what happens if you blip the throttle a bit - do they drop back down or stay high?
Old May 3, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

install your stock parts back in, bring it to dealer
Old May 3, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsci4
i have an MR as well, but i've never experienced anything like what you're describing.

so if you just push the clutch in the RPMs stay high? what happens if you blip the throttle a bit - do they drop back down or stay high?
when you depress the clutch the rpms stay high for a few seconds and slowly start dropping( when I mean slowly I mean no less than 5 seconds)

This had happened to me at the track this weekend and I thought that it was related to the clutch perhaps clutch slippage from launching the car.

My friend Edwin which has another 05 MR told me that he heard that the 05 might have a different software to prevent the rpms to drop dramatically for performances purposes.

Can someone comment on this? Thanks
Old May 3, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

i was wondering about the clutch too...like it's not fully disengaging (sp?) or something. ???

didn't drive the MR today, but i think mine drops down right away when i press the clutch in. i've definitely not noticed it doing anything weird anyway and i don't know of any software change that keeps the revs up.

i was trying to think if there's some way that temperature could be a factor since you are in Az. has it been hot down there lately?
Old May 3, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

This problem is not happening all the times at all, it only appears when I drive it hard. When I drive the car normal the car drives well. It just happened when I was flooring it.

The temp could be a factor but we are still in the mid 80's here in Tucson..
Old May 3, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
when you depress the clutch the rpms stay high for a few seconds and slowly start dropping( when I mean slowly I mean no less than 5 seconds)

This had happened to me at the track this weekend and I thought that it was related to the clutch perhaps clutch slippage from launching the car.

My friend Edwin which has another 05 MR told me that he heard that the 05 might have a different software to prevent the rpms to drop dramatically for performances purposes.

Can someone comment on this? Thanks
man, dont sweat it. mine does it exaclty the same. dealer said its the ecu in the o5 to keep the revs up during shifting. true? i dont know, the dealer said it. my car has mods and runs great.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
man, dont sweat it. mine does it exaclty the same. dealer said its the ecu in the o5 to keep the revs up during shifting. true? i dont know, the dealer said it. my car has mods and runs great.
Your problem is in the clutch switch. Next time this happens, clutch in and the rpms will drop. There is a signal from the clutch switch that tells the car to reduce the rpms. It is 2nd nature for me I have been doing this so long. I would assume this would prolong the life of the clutch disc slightly as well since the rpms stay up.

It is interesting watching this on the datalogger at the track. Rpms go up , shift, rpms go up then down then up again, etc. There is nothing wrong with your car.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont have that problem at all, but I do have my ecu flashed. Frankly that sounds too weird to be normal, imo.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by antonio010
I dont have that problem at all, but I do have my ecu flashed. Frankly that sounds too weird to be normal, imo.
I'm also flashed, maybe its a MR thing? Doubtful because a lot of locals have complained about it also. Some blaming it on the bov. It is ECU programming however.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:50 PM

I have the exact thing happen to me. If I gas it and get it up to 5,000rpm or above and let off the gas and push in the clutch the rpm's stay up for about 5 seconds. I thought it was mainly because we have a recirculating bov and it's feeding the the air back into the intake. I told the dealership and they kind of looked at me weird
Old May 3, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8nut
I have the exact thing happen to me. If I gas it and get it up to 5,000rpm or above and let off the gas and push in the clutch the rpm's stay up for about 5 seconds. I thought it was mainly because we have a recirculating bov and it's feeding the the air back into the intake. I told the dealership and they kind of looked at me weird
I don't feel like the black sheep anymore... I noticed that this problem started to happen to me after I disconnected the 5k rpm rev limter fail safe switch. Maybe that switch is linked to the ECU somehow..

my .50c
Old May 3, 2005, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I don't feel like the black sheep anymore... I noticed that this problem started to happen to me after I disconnected the 5k rpm rev limter fail safe switch. Maybe that switch is linked to the ECU somehow..

my .50c
Maybe you missed my post. Yes it is your problem. ECU does not know when to cut the fuel. (when you shift)
Old May 3, 2005, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

there is a huge thread about the rpm raising between shifting.

it's common throughout all evo models. some have it, some don't.

I think someone actually figured it out after 10,000 posts or something.

check for "rpm shifting rising"

Quick Reply: RPM staying very high on my 05 Evo