Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K time to discuss this Loud Bov is ricey thing...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because they are still K-1 and forgotten the meaning of "rice" from the dictionary.
Old May 8, 2005, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

why do people's cars run crappy when then change the intake? and did that happen to you guys with the hks intake mentioned earlier? did you have to tune it with the intake to make it run well?
Old May 8, 2005, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

This arguement is about as productive as argiung with an STi about which car is better! I'm looking for a nice sounding BOV. Does that make me rice? No, but there are plenty of people who will think otherwise. The beauty of this car is that we're all passionate and will never agree on everything. If a guy's into a loud BOV instead of true tuning, cut him some slack. He simply has different goals than you, which doesn't make him wrong. Remember, we're all part of the Evo fam...even if you think he's the bastard child!
Old May 8, 2005, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by P0300
My definition of ricey: Anything that does not have a beneficial function and creates extra attention. This is why I believe the VTA BOV is ricey. There is no necessity for it and requires extra parts just to make the car run right. Function before form. The other things you listed(I.E. exhaust and intake) actually have an effect on the car's performance. The BOV does not. Stick with an MR DV.
By your definition, I guess most of the people on this board are ricers then. We all have painted headlights, taillights, Evo 7 tails, UK evo badges, tinted windows, (dress up) carbon fiber pieces, etc.

Even you yourself have the UK badge and MR tails.

This whole issue has gotten out of hand. It's basically nothing but a useless stereotype that's been beaten to death with post after post.
Old May 8, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Everybody has a little rice in them one way or another
Old May 8, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

This forums is decent, but i'm really sick of mod lists. As for blow off valves, just cause we have turbos doesn't mean we need to have a BOV .
Old May 8, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darwinator
This forums is decent, but i'm really sick of mod lists. As for blow off valves, just cause we have turbos doesn't mean we need to have a BOV .
Huh, why do you say that? Without a BOV, we'd all destroy our turbos with compressor surge.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by expl0d
ACT HDSS Clutch - cool what evo doesn't need a new clutch after 10k?
SS Clutch line - $25 part
ES Shifter bushings - mad quick shifts yo
Short shifter - ebay
HKS Type1 TT - u just wasted money on this piece of crap

Tein S Tech (Soon to be Tein Flex) - bet its been like this in your sig for 2 years.
CF hood w/pins - with pins!
HKS Carbon Ti w/cat delete - this is like the only mod that will add 5hp to your car.
RMR downpipe
Cusco oil catch can - useless piece of junk.
AEM intake w/HKS filter - ...... worst intake alive.
AMS MBC (20psi on 91oct) - damn cause we really care u getting the worst possible gas for your car and run a meager ***** amount of boost.
R1 GTR-5 wheels - ricer. ricer. ricer.
Defi-D Boost gauge w/TRUST holder - trust holder! hella tight
Project Mu B Force pads w/slotted rotors - probably worse than stock
Shorty antenna mod -...
Clutch play mod - no idea what this ricer **** is.
Instrument cluster/HVAC mod - damn hvac. mad tight
Whining transfer case mod - .....

Get this **** out of your sig. pleasssse
Was that really necessary? All he was looking for was peoples' opinions on why they think that vta bov's are rice, not to get a new a$$hole ripped open by other members that are supposed to be here to HELP him. And so what if he decides to go more for show than performance, thats his choice. It's just sad to see people rip on him just for asking a simple question. This thread was obviously started to gather peoples' opinions about bov's, not on the guy who started it.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Last edited by DocMortal; May 8, 2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Loud BOVs are not necessarily "ricey" but they are annoying...just like loud exhausts. basically it boils down to: If the car is slow [has no real hp] and it has a loud BOV and loud exhaust, etc then it's ricey. as for the Evo, it's fast [has lots of real hp] so if you like the loud PSSHHHT sound then go for it...just don't look to me for respect because I think they are annoying.

btw: I sold my Injen intake becuase the STOCK BOV was too loud with it!

I agree that there are a LOT of cars out there that deserve the "ricey" description, but anymore it seems like people throw that word around too much. anything they personally don't like becomes "ricey". Leave the description of "ricey" to the cars that fit that description.

for example:
-civics with 4' wings and fart pipes=RICE
-any car with the Fast and Furious stickers=RICE
-car with rims you dont like=not necessarily RICE

ok class dismissed.

Old May 8, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoCorp
In this case, it isn't "ricey" since any audible sound coming from your intake is just a by-product of your aftermarket intake piping (btw, I also have an HKS RS, very nice intake ). If someone were to say... take out their stock filter and stock intake cover just so people can hear the stock BOV "SWOOSH", then THAT'S ricey.

Silly ricers, lol!
OK just if you change your Filter kit with a louder one just because it's louder, then that's rice, but I don't know anyone who says, "I want my intake to be as loud as possible." and most of the time a VTA BOV is not purchased for that same reason. They may want their BOV to sound "Badass" or just different than stock, not necessarily a TON louder, but a little louder. I'm guessing that the WRC rally cars could be setup with a recirc BOV instead of VTA, so doese that make them rice, or at least part rice? Of course not. A friend of mine with an Evo did his VTA because he was curious about it, wanted to experiment, and said it sounds cool, but doesn't care that much about what people think of his car and just wants his to sound nice. Is a loud car stereo rice? no. It may be in poor taste if excessive, but we can't go calling everything we don't care for "RICE". Are leather seats rice? They do not improve performance and are mainly for asthetics. I could go on and on....
Old May 8, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

would someone close this thread already
what a waste of bandwidth
it was a good discussion but not anymore
Old May 8, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

i found this thread quite humorous, dont kill it now !
Old May 8, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

OK....first off, this dude "expl0d" you need to chill the f u c k out...The fact that you're taking the time to make fun of someone's mod list makes you more of a "ricer" (loser) than the rest of us...I absolutely hate the term "ricer." If you dont like something that someone has, dont put it on your car. thats the beauty of tuning, you have complete freedom in what you do. Enough of this ricer BS, im sick of hearing that term and it is far too often improperly applied. It's a blow off valve people, who the ***** cares!!! I have a turbo, i like the way my BOV sounds, and thats the end of it!
Old May 8, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

and thank u Evillusion for that on-point explanation

Quick Reply: K time to discuss this Loud Bov is ricey thing...