Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K time to discuss this Loud Bov is ricey thing...

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K time to discuss this Loud Bov is ricey thing...

ok i wanna just let this out...why do MOST of EvoM members consider loud or VTA bovs to be considered "Rice". I mean i guess its cuz of the whole stock map and people running VTA issue for the sound...but that STILL doesnt convince me as it being rice. Some people tend to use their BOV to attract attention, but isnt a lot of other things used to attract people to our cars? ie: bigger rims. People also ask how xxxx exhaust system sounds and how xxxx intake sounds, etc...i think a loud or VTA bov is not ricey at all. A VTA bov may be replacing someone's leaking stock bov, is that rice? is it rice that they chose a bov that wont recirc (TiAl, HKS SSQ without recirc kit, or a forge bov) over a recirculating bov? When i ran VTA, i looked at my bov being loud as a sign of "turbo'd 4dr sedan coming thru" and im totally opposite of the "sleeper look". I like people knowing my car is fast so they cant **** on Evos. Just thought i'd share my thoughts
Old May 7, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I love the way my HKS SSQV sounds when it is VTA but I didn't like the fact that it effected my performance in a negative way, so off it went. Sacrificing performance for image/sound is rice.

Last edited by Ev0 1; May 7, 2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 7, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

My definition of ricey: Anything that does not have a beneficial function and creates extra attention. This is why I believe the VTA BOV is ricey. There is no necessity for it and requires extra parts just to make the car run right. Function before form. The other things you listed(I.E. exhaust and intake) actually have an effect on the car's performance. The BOV does not. Stick with an MR DV.
Old May 7, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

im glad somebody finally made a thread about this, i think saying a vta blow off valve is rice is stupid. it's like an oxymoron. nearly any car that has the legitimacy of being turbocharged shouldn't be labeled rice just becuase the blow off valve is audible.
Old May 7, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

my intake made my dv audible...guess i'm rice now.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Every ricer in america with a non turbo car blows their loud over a blow off valve. So, if they ever do get their hands on a turbo'd car they want something so the world knows the have a turbo'd car. Having an excessivly loud bov is ricey as ****.

<3 my recircing greddy type r.

Last edited by expl0d; May 7, 2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by P0300
My definition of ricey: Anything that does not have a beneficial function and creates extra attention. This is why I believe the VTA BOV is ricey. There is no necessity for it and requires extra parts just to make the car run right. Function before form. The other things you listed(I.E. exhaust and intake) actually have an effect on the car's performance. The BOV does not. Stick with an MR DV.
P0300 pretty much has it on the nose right here. Anything put on a car that's cheap and just for looks is rice, i.e. excessive/pointless decals, neon lights, excessive fog lights, extremely large wing, etc. Our Evos can't run VTA BOVs (at least in stock/near stock form) correctly due to the function of the MAS, so people willing to sacrifice performance just to get that "SWOOSH" sound is in my opinion, "ricey".

Let's put it this way. Someone that changes ONLY their muffler to get that loud exhaust sound, but doesn't bother with the downpipe, cat, and cat-back piping... would you call him ricey? IMO, yes. Changing the muffler doesn't do much on our Evos since our stock mufflers are pretty straight-through already. So you're not doing much in performance there except for seeking head-turning attention from the noise your muffler allows out.

Last edited by EvoCorp; May 7, 2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by rExTuHfEr
my intake made my dv audible...guess i'm rice now.
You beat me to it, I was going to say the same damn thing. My HKS RS Intake is a monster.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by LancerOZ!=Evo
You beat me to it, I was going to say the same damn thing. My HKS RS Intake is a monster.
In this case, it isn't "ricey" since any audible sound coming from your intake is just a by-product of your aftermarket intake piping (btw, I also have an HKS RS, very nice intake ). If someone were to say... take out their stock filter and stock intake cover just so people can hear the stock BOV "SWOOSH", then THAT'S ricey.

Silly ricers, lol!
Old May 7, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
im glad somebody finally made a thread about this, i think saying a vta blow off valve is rice is stupid. it's like an oxymoron. nearly any car that has the legitimacy of being turbocharged shouldn't be labeled rice just becuase the blow off valve is audible.
They shouldn't be label rice because of a audible BOV but if that audible BOV effects the performance of the vehicle, then yes.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

who cares if its ricey or not. if people want to get a bov for their car, i say go for it. its their car buy whatever they want. who cares about what other people think about it. for the most part, it is all just their opinion

Last edited by SIC SIK SIX; May 7, 2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

like that guy said above. anything that affects your performance negatively for sound is gay. i dunno if its rice, but its gay.

i dont mind the recirced ones if their audible either, just ones that people put on and blow that crap in your ear right next to you so you know their crap is factory turbocharged

Last edited by imapunkclaimer; May 7, 2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 7, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Adding an aftermarket or VTA BOV because your stock one is insufficent due to heavy modifications and tuning is NOT rice. However, spending cash to add one for the "sound" and at the same time making the car run badly makes absolutely no sense. For the same money or less one could buy parts that actually make you car FASTER. i guess the guys who have loud-*** pipes on thier Harleys that make them run crappy can explain the VTA BOVs on stock EVOs...
Old May 7, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by expl0d
We really don't need to know your weak *** mod list that takes up half a page either. you are in fact a ricer with an evo.
OH SNAP! That was cold
Old May 7, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the time a VTA bov is going to make your car run worse. Thus, you are doing it for the uber sweet sound, making you a ricer.

Quick Reply: K time to discuss this Loud Bov is ricey thing...