Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to do first. Mods

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do first. Mods

Alright, well I plan on getting the VIII and taking on the mods over time, nothing serious cosmetically, no stickers or graphics just wheels, tint and maybe a CF hood. As far as the other mods are concerned I pretty much mapped out what I want and do not want but now I need some help on what's priority and what isn't so heres the list:

Greddy Type S BOV
TBE
DP
SAFC
HKS RS Intake
MBC
FLASH
HKS 272 Cams and maybe cam gears (are the gears very neccessary or no? I heard they are not a big deal and I should put that money some where else)
WALBRO 255LHP Fuel pump
Strut bar
Wheels (Volk LE or TE 37's, used)
Tint.
That is pretty much it. I also thought of the clutch, I will try and live with the stock clutch for as long as possible, is it that weak and ****ty? I wont be doing anything more than spirited driving. How much for the clutch set up, something that wont **** the bed, I heard the clutch is a 10 hour job on EVOs.

I was thinking about taking care of the wheels first, saving up for a bit and getting used to the car in stock form, getting the wheels and then taking care of the engine mods, or taking care of everything else and keeping the car stock appearence besides tint which is a must. I don't know I need some advice on how to go about this all.
Old May 8, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

if you get gears.. the new hks are pretty good.. there lighter than the stock ones so thers less rotational mass and stress on the cams and belt... skip the SAFC and get a flash.. bout the same price from AL at dyno flash... you should get a kevlar timming belt... 4 times stronger than stock... i dont see a FMIC there.. you should get one ..
Old May 8, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

I was told that the stock FMIC is very very good, and I shouldn't swap it out for a new one unless I go with a bigger turbo... but I plan on sticking with the stock turbo. Timing belt isn't a priority until it's due I was talking about managing the mods list I had and maybe some helpful little things that I don't. I would rather stick with the SAFC and a tune session I think.
Old May 8, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

no.. on the stock turbo youll deff gain alot of power with a new Big FMIC... the stock one flows around 800 cfm.. the Buschur one almost 1200... more air more power....
Old May 8, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

you wont see as much gain with a afc unless you have the flash.. together they are good.. but just the safc.. youll see minimal gains...
Old May 8, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

here check out the stg set up from DB www.buschurracing.com
Dyno sheets provided
Old May 8, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

So it is indeed worth it to get a bigger FMIC... What order should I tackle these mods? I think I will settle for a K&N drop in for the time being and eventually get a CAI.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

follow buschurs seq.. not nessicarilly his mods.. but his sequence... if you do opt to go with BRacing.. you wont be dissapointed and sometimes when you call.. youll even talk to Dave himself... most of the time you get jarrod... hes one cool kat too
Old May 8, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

first id go exhaust , mbc, and flash... next .. intake , upp . .. then i/c (lower piping opt) and a reflash... then cams and pump.. walboro is what the majority use.. but you can also get the supra 260lph.. or denso up to 320lph... if your keeping the stock turbo you can keep the stock 550cc inj...
Old May 8, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

pick yourself up a boost / egt/ and if you have extra bills a lm-1(wideband O2)
Old May 8, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

were actually seeing the safc II tuned cars putting down 15 more whp then flashed cars in some instances in norcal. The highest whp evo at our norcalevo dyno day was tuned on safcII. no other flash needed, although it would be nice to bump up the rev limiter, speedometer and reduce knock sensitivity.

If i could do it all over again i would get an safcII and avcR first.. no need for a boost gauge with this combo, then with the money your saving skipping the gauges get a plx wideband 02 to monitor your A/F. Get the car tuned.. and get used to it. I would have probably skipped eveyrthing else at this point an concentrated on suspension, but if you need more power 10.5 hotside, 272/272, cam gears, turbo back exhaust would do the trick.

Last edited by bdking57; May 8, 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

along with rid the fuel cut... i dont see how the Safc can affect as many peramiters as a flash...
Old May 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

i havent had any fuel cut issues so far, although i know thats a concern. Im running an adjustable fpr with a walbro and have the baseline fp bumped up 2 psi. So its actually idling below the stock fpr with a walbro 255, but it raises much faster and flows better. Im not trying to simulate larger injectors.. but just seeing if a measly 2psi does the trick and i havent had any fuel cut so far after doing this.

Flash effects way more but is less convenient.. plus you can see whats its doing. Id rather have the chance to put in an hour of dyno tuning after doing some more mods for $100 dollars then to pay for another flash. they both have their merits, but if you live near a good tuner shop then the safcII is hard to beat for the price.
Old May 8, 2005, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Make the FLASH your first mod, it will support the basic bolt ons and get you the most hp per dollar..
Old May 9, 2005, 12:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TBE
no cat.
MBC
fuel pump
FLASH

with those mods, i'm making 300whp and 314 tq on pump gas with a bit of it leaned out.

with the afr turned down a bit, i'm still making 290whp and 309 tq.

with safc, I could make a race gas map, will gain me 30 to 40 whp +.

that's with stock everything else inside the engine bay.

cams, get 262/274. heard they give you more whp.