Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Perparing to battle dealership

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perparing to battle dealership

I had a new ACT clutch installled about a week ago. A couple of days after I got it back I was hearing this weird noise, a hum that would get louder the faster I went and when I would let off of the gas I would hear a grind noise.

so I took it back to the place I had the clutch installed and they told me that it's not the clutch that's making the noise but maybe the transfer case.

So now I have to take it to the dealer and I know I'm going to have to fight with them to cover the transfer case, if it is the TC, b/c of the aftermarket clutch.

Any suggestions????
Old May 11, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

they won't see the clutch if they just replace the T-case
Old May 11, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be friendly and cooperative - more bees with honey type thing
Old May 11, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
Just be friendly and cooperative - more bees with honey type thing
exactly I don't know if they will cover it or not, but having a bad attitude will make sure the process is alot harder. If they deny you after you have been nice to them...................then threaten to kill them. J/K
Old May 11, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Did the shop that installed your clutch refilled the TC with fluids?
Old May 11, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJimbo
Did the shop that installed your clutch refilled the TC with fluids?

They usally don't drop the Fuild in the TC when doing the clutch I think it's a sealed unit I never see one leak when clutches were installed.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Lyublinsky
They usally don't drop the Fuild in the TC when doing the clutch I think it's a sealed unit I never see one leak when clutches were installed.
Eric is correct. The Transfer case is pretty sealed and will not loose any fluid when doing a clutch job.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

but still check it because when the axles are out you will loose some fluid, better safe than sorry, be nice and do not mention the clutch unless they ask about it
Old May 11, 2005, 08:16 AM

The shop I took it to, ATX Motorsports, said they checked the fluid after I took it back and they said that the fluid was very metailc looking and thick. They changed the fluid and it looked the same the 2nd time around. They said that it may be a bearing loose somewhere down there (sorry I'm not that technically sound). Anyway they dropped the fluid a third time and today they will check it to see what it looks like.

A TC case if over 2k and I don't think I should have to pay for it when I onlyl have 18k miles on this thing. Perpare for the worst and hope for the best
Old May 11, 2005, 08:28 AM

They can only deny the warranty if they can prove the TC problem is a direct result of the new clutch. Just go in and obviously dont mention the clutch and Im sure you will be fine.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

After my Cusco twin-disc install, I also have been getting a very loud grinding noise under deceleration. I've been told by many shops, people, tuners, and people on this forum that the grinding sound is normal on after-market clutches... I don't think you have much to worry about.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Aftermarket clutches are very noisy sometimes. But if you had metal coming out then thats a different story. Call Jon at TRE www.teamrip.com
Old May 11, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

good luck
Old May 11, 2005, 09:26 AM

I went to the dealer once and they told me the clutch was slipping and that they were not going to cover it. Is that information in a mitusbishi wide database. So If I go to another dealer can they pull up my file and see that I needed a new clutch a month ago and then make the connection that I got the clutch done recently??????

thanx
Old May 11, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by figuerda
I went to the dealer once and they told me the clutch was slipping and that they were not going to cover it. Is that information in a mitusbishi wide database. So If I go to another dealer can they pull up my file and see that I needed a new clutch a month ago and then make the connection that I got the clutch done recently??????

thanx
The clutch is a wear item, I am not surprized that they didn't cover it. As for the TC, be nice and don't try to argue. That will only get your claim denied.