Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo sputtering, little help please

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo sputtering, little help please

So I installed the injen intake and upper pipe on Monday and everything has been fine. Today on my way to work there was a loud popping sound and then my car would just sputter and the rpms would jump around. Someone also told me that they saw black smoke from the rear of my car. It seams like all the hoses are connected, but I can't really see all of the intercooler pipe because of the bumper. The only difference between today and the last few days is that I adjusted my Greddy type s a little last night. Any ideas?
Old May 11, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Take off your bumper and check your IC pipes. Put back the stock intake and see if it still happens.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I played around with the intercooler pipe and it looks like it's still attached but I have to go back to work so this will be on hold until tonight. That sucks because all I'll be thinking about is my car.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

It idles fine but when I try to drive is sputters like crazy.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

intercooler pipe is not connected properly. had it happen to me in my porsche a few times. basically it smokes like a ****, and can't do anything but idle. also, on our evo club fun run around dallas Blownincome had an IC pipe blow off. they all looked ok, but it was a lower pipe right off his giant IC that we couldn't see until we pulled the under trays off and really got in there. you rgoing to have to undo the band clamps and shove the pipe on harder, then tighten it down more.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know about the smoke, but the sputter-i've had that happen twice and it was cuz my POS stock IC soft pipe slipped off my TB. get some T bolt and tighten the crap outta them with a 10mm ratchet, not a screwdriver
Old May 11, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

hows the MAF.. and check your plugs.. see if you haev water on top of one of them.. did you wash the engine bay lately?
Old May 11, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ Same thing happened to me. I did get the smoke, infact my I had some soot on my back bumper. Willie it does sound like one of your intercooler hoses is loose.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, thanks guys. I recheck things when I get home.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I'm an idiot. This was so obvious I don't know how I missed it the first time. For some reason I had it in my head that the part of the upper pipe that came off was where it connected to the core. It was a little difficult installing that part and I figured that is came out and that was what was causing the problem. Actually it was the other end of the upper pipe that came off and I noticed this as soon as I got home and opened the hood. So all things are fine now, thanks for all the help.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

HAHA.. overreacting lol