Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No ABS. Life without it.

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRKENG
Speaking as a brake engineer (notice the username). I would not drive a car without ABS in a 4 season region. ABS allows you to be able to steer during an ABS event because the wheel does not "lock up." I have driven my EVO in the snow (yes with the Advans) and the ABS saved my toosh more than once. In the rain, I'm very careful and have never cycled ABS while the roads are wet. If you never contend with snow, you could make a serious argument that you do not need ABS. Like I said, I've only cycled ABS about 4 times (all in snow storms). On dry pavement, ABS should not cycle during normal braking, or even high decel braking. I live in Michigan, so ABS is very important to me. If I lived in Arizona, I would consider it.

I have done ABS testing and TC/VSC testing at our testing facility in northern Michigan and can attest that these technologies make a HUGE difference! Try to steer out of a slide without ABS on a sheer sheet of ice!
I agree with the engineer
Old May 12, 2005, 07:20 AM
Former Vendor

most us that drive in the snow regularly, pull the fuse for the abs in the snow.. much better control... even with blizzaks.. as far as dry pavemwent, i could not get the car to stop as quick with the abs off.. basically, in the snow im better than a computer, in summer the computer wins hands down.. now seasoned track guys might say diff about the summer aspect.. but some have big egos, and wont use abs..
Old May 12, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Really, I dunno if ABS is all that great. When you have a panic stop, the last thing you want your brakes to do is go on and off, no matter how fast it is. Slamming on the brakes and having them lock seems to be the quickest way to stop. I've had plenty of experiences with abs in the snow around my house and it doesn't really seem to help too much, I still just keep sliding straight. Only once has it ever saved me. A friend stopped in front of me behind a school bus and I didn't see it (rain/fog/3 girls in the car) and I hit the brakes going about 40 mph and turned. ABS kicked in and I lucky slid/turned safely into a neighborhood turn lane. Ended up with my front bumper even with her front fender so that crash woulda been pretty intense, especially considering she was behind a school bus... Anyway, I just don't think it is too necessary except in extreme circumstances which it still might not help all the time. Don't let it be the deciding factor tho.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcorn
Really, I dunno if ABS is all that great. When you have a panic stop, the last thing you want your brakes to do is go on and off, no matter how fast it is. Slamming on the brakes and having them lock seems to be the quickest way to stop. I've had plenty of experiences with abs in the snow around my house and it doesn't really seem to help too much, I still just keep sliding straight. Only once has it ever saved me. A friend stopped in front of me behind a school bus and I didn't see it (rain/fog/3 girls in the car) and I hit the brakes going about 40 mph and turned. ABS kicked in and I lucky slid/turned safely into a neighborhood turn lane. Ended up with my front bumper even with her front fender so that crash woulda been pretty intense, especially considering she was behind a school bus... Anyway, I just don't think it is too necessary except in extreme circumstances which it still might not help all the time. Don't let it be the deciding factor tho.

Having the brakes lock is NOT the quickest way to stop. It causes you to skid and go MUCH further than you would have otherwise. In defensive driving/counterintelligence training courses, they teach you to ram the brakes hard, then let off, then quickly steer, ram the brakes again, and then stop. If your brakes lock and you try to steer at all, nothing happens...you slide straight forward until you stop or hit something.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Having the brakes lock is NOT the quickest way to stop. It causes you to skid and go MUCH further than you would have otherwise. In defensive driving/counterintelligence training courses, they teach you to ram the brakes hard, then let off, then quickly steer, ram the brakes again, and then stop. If your brakes lock and you try to steer at all, nothing happens...you slide straight forward until you stop or hit something.
Not always. Although the stopping distance with ABS is shorter under most road conditions, drivers should always keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of them and maintain a speed consistent with the road conditions. While a vehicle with ABS maintains its steering capability in a sudden stop, it may not turn as quickly on a slippery road as it would on dry pavement.

you're scrificing stopping distance for steering capability, so you're not actualy totaly correct fyi, but you're dead right about the steering comment, that is totally true, that's why people should practice if they dont have a car setup like they're used too

most motorists are used to stabbing the brake pedal and steering where they want to go, this is not the best solution in some circumstances, ie, if a car is not equipped with abs and in a skid, sometimes you have to steer into the skid and not lock up the brakes so you can regain some control and power out of it

practice, practice, practice

and for 99% of drivers abs is the way to go, otherwise keep it slow and safe

good luck people

Nick
Old May 12, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

abs isnt all its cracked up to be. I have abs on my subaru and stopping in the snow sucks cause once the abs kicks in its a real pain to get it to do what you want. I actually have better braking in the snow with my lancer. Of course the awd of the subaru cant be beat compared to front wheel.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

ABS was designed for minivan moms. If you know not to slam your foot on the brakes in snow you dont need abs. ABS will get you into trouble if you really know how to drive a car.

If your as experienced as a minivan mom, YOU NEED ABS.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you guys understand that the #1 technology as far as reducing car accidents in the U.S. is Anti-Lock Braking systems. They work, everyone here can argue all they want that they can outcontrol ABS, but its just not true. Too many people on this website seem to think they are professional drivers. Just because you go to a few AutoX's doesnt make you a pro. You would be dumb not to get ABS, especially in the snow. AWD doesnt do jack when you are trying to stop in the snow either. If I had a dollar for every person I saw stuck in a ditch during a snowstorm that was going wayy too fast because they thought AWD could save them, I'd be a millionaire. If you live in the NE, going no ABS is just not worth the cost savings.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

No one ever said ABS was about shortening stopping distances. It's about maintaining control while braking. Anytime a tire loses traction, whether it be because of acceleration or severe braking and it begins to slide, chances are it's not travelling in the direction it's pointed towards (or at least it won't be for long).

I'm not saying ABS can't be a hinderence for certain driving conditions or for especially skilled drivers but I'm pretty certain the benefits far out weigh the limited drawbacks for 99% of the driving situations encountered.

Statements like "ABS is only for Volvo driving soccer moms" are rubbish. If you're driving in such a fashion that "ABS gets you in trouble" when it activates, you've got other problems related to poor traction that will eventually rear their heads and ruin your day.

Last edited by propellerhead; May 12, 2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor

tell you what, you come up here next winter, you run abs, i will turn mine off.. i will bet you the title to my car, i will out stop you and have more control than you, with abs on... if we go on dry land you will win hands down.. im not an expert, i just have alot of expierence driving..
Originally Posted by 2GDSM
I hope you guys understand that the #1 technology as far as reducing car accidents in the U.S. is Anti-Lock Braking systems. They work, everyone here can argue all they want that they can outcontrol ABS, but its just not true. Too many people on this website seem to think they are professional drivers. Just because you go to a few AutoX's doesnt make you a pro. You would be dumb not to get ABS, especially in the snow. AWD doesnt do jack when you are trying to stop in the snow either. If I had a dollar for every person I saw stuck in a ditch during a snowstorm that was going wayy too fast because they thought AWD could save them, I'd be a millionaire. If you live in the NE, going no ABS is just not worth the cost savings.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with propellerhead, the reason ABS is so widely adopted is because it is a useful safety tool for every car, and it doesn't affect performance very much, only the best drivers would rather not have it, and that's on a racetrack. Just go to any performance driving school and drive the car with no ABS, and you'll see what I mean.

P.S. I like your Clockwork Orange avatar. Where are your droogs, man? I need to go viddy some films.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm from NY and have driven in plenty of snow...ABS keeps you from locking the brakes and allows you to steer in an emergency braking situation. I'm not here to argue about it. Fact is Fact. If ABS didnt work, why would they sell it, why would you get a reduction on your car insurance for it, and why does it show up in just about every car sold today.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by newevo8
ABS was designed for minivan moms. If you know not to slam your foot on the brakes in snow you dont need abs. ABS will get you into trouble if you really know how to drive a car.

If your as experienced as a minivan mom, YOU NEED ABS.

I am a professional driver. ABS has almost killed me. Fortunatly I am that good of a driver and I countered the problem sucessfully. So I made the comment above because it is accurate for me and any one else who has been to a driving school.

ABS came along because soccer moms and old peoples reactions to situations. LOOK UP THE STUDIES. These people cause more problems in non dry situations then any other group or age COMBINED. Any one with 1/2 a brain knows not to stomp on the brakes in a bad situation.

I WAS TAUGHT THAT IN DRIVERS ED AT 15.5 YEARS OF AGE AND TOOK MY TEST WITH A FOOT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

So to complete my thought ABS is for the majority of the public BECAUSE they dont futher there training with auto xing schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 12, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
Absolutely! Except here they end up flipped and slammed into the mountainside or over the edge dropped a 100 feet or more. ABS is EXACTLY for those emergency stops where you don't have time to "pump the brakes". If my husband had had it on our previous Saturn - he wouldn't have rearended a lady who stopped her car in the middle of the highway 'round a curve. If you live on the flat and straight, then ABS is an option - it isn't for me - too may people and tourists up here can't drive or panic in the fog or on the cliff edge. AWD is AWESOME for getting round those people, or having to get off on the egde of the road when someone, usually a truck or SUV, can't handle a turn and is halfway into my lane. mtnracer
Old May 12, 2005, 10:01 AM

I have owned both - the Evo VIII with ABS and the Evo VI RS-2 without. It's not a big deal at all, the great brakes combined with the grip and handling of the Evo make for a very controllable car either way, even in less than desirable conditions. I locked up the tires one time in the VI in very nasty weather, I quickly released and got back on the brakes again and the grip was back. Just make sure you don't use the advans in the winter...

Saying that I do prefer having the ABS, but as long as you drive in a "reasonable" manner on public roads it's really not an issue in the Evo. At the absolute limits (e.g. track) I don't think that I personally could out-break the Evo's ABS, but there wouldn't be a huge difference.

Quick Reply: No ABS. Life without it.