Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No ABS. Life without it.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No ABS. Life without it.

Alright, well over the past few months of research I have grown partial to the RS, and I was planning on getting a used one... 03 or 04 doesn't matter but something with low low miles, taken care of unmolested and unmodded... with an RS I understand this doesn't sound like something one would find but they are out there. I have thought extensively about all the things I am missing out on and I have asked myself why I want an RS... well now comes the No ABS factor, everyone I talk to say it is indeed a must. Well I am curious of the RS not having it, then why is the RS supposed to be the hardcore? This car would be my daily driver and yes we do have winter here in Maine, what do you think about not having ABS in this car for all season driving? Am I crazy? Is this a no brainer why the F am I even considering an RS? Or is it not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. RS owners or any and all educated please help me narrow down the playing field on this one, if no ABS is THAT bad then I guess I'm going with a used V///.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

No ABS is fine...just pump the breaks in hairy situations and it wont be too crazy...
Old May 11, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Believe it or not the ABS kills you in the snow. Some people just pull the fuse anyway in the winter. I won't let the lack of ABS stop you.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I owned mercedes coupe with ABS and traction control before. It had no use on snow. I feel a lot safer in my evo because of better handling breaking and traction. With AWD, I think you will not need ABS that much. Just learn to how to break without ABS. Some pro drivers hate ABS. But I think you will hate maual door locks and windows more .
Old May 11, 2005, 07:17 PM

hey buddy i am in the same situation... kina... but neways i think its just practicing for those situations where ABS would be helpful. I live in chi-town so i know what the winters are like. I think you (and me for that matter) will be ok as long as we get sufficient practice thresh-hold braking in less than perfect conditions... and in the winter just be sure to get snow tires haha
Old May 11, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've only gotten into abs lockup twice in the evo, once from a cat and another from an idiot who stopped in the middle of the highway, and then pulled in front of me..., no snow in hawaii though,,,,, my s-10 would hit it all the time when hitting the brake on any sort of bump,
Old May 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

I was in a Chevy Aveo at work, no power locks or windows. I have them in my Explorer, I had to roll down the passenger side window and I went to hit a button. UGH WTF not there! that sucked haha, and if you ever want any window down but your driver side you need to get out or LEANNN way the hell over, what a pain in the *** haha I think I can make the sacrafice, I am kinda screwed though if I get an RS and don't like the no power option because what am I gonna do, trade with a friend for his EVO ?!? hahah NOT! Cars= lots of money, meaning better get it right the first time or be prepared to lose.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:24 PM

man you're lucky to be out there in aiea.. i was on the big island last spring break. its so beautiful there.... but yeah about the ABS... how much would it be to install an ABS system? i wouldnt bcuz i dont think its worth the effort... but for the hell of it, anyone know?
Old May 11, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Before you guys dog on the ABS too much, the Evo ABS is definitely much more geared towards performance driving than your typical ABS system. Called Super Sports ABS, it uses lateral g sensors and steering angle sensors to enhance braking performance. It only intervenes when it has to, and basically you'd have to be a hell of a good driver to out brake the system. Since it has an accelerometer in the system, it can actually tell how fast the car is going relative to wheel speed (most ABS systems rely solely on wheel rotation for information) so in the snow it will be better than most. Of course, in snow and ice it's important to remember that an awd car is no better than a 2wd car when braking, you're limited by the traction available from the tires and all cars have 4 wheel brakes. Don't let awd give you a false sense of security.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:33 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

If it's only the ABS, get one on this site used... a bunch of people were selling that stuff.
My worst nightmare would be living without power doors/windows and then ABS is 2nd.
If RS was at least 500lbs lighter, I'd say it makes sense but since it's not it kind of doesn't.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

ABS sucks in the snow. I lived in Maine for several winters and always ran with factory studded nokia icetracks without ABS. Really good tires are a must up there. I like to be able to rotate the car with the brakes which is hard to do with ABS. I always feel like ABS is fighting me in the snow.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

you'll miss the power windows the most. I (most?) never use my A/C it eats too much HP, so I am adjusting the windows often on a hot/warm days. If I had to do each one with the hand crank it would drive me nuts. For ABS on dry pavement you have to break extreamly hard to activate the ABS.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
Alright, well over the past few months of research I have grown partial to the RS, and I was planning on getting a used one... 03 or 04 doesn't matter but something with low low miles, taken care of unmolested and unmodded... with an RS I understand this doesn't sound like something one would find but they are out there. I have thought extensively about all the things I am missing out on and I have asked myself why I want an RS... well now comes the No ABS factor, everyone I talk to say it is indeed a must. Well I am curious of the RS not having it, then why is the RS supposed to be the hardcore? This car would be my daily driver and yes we do have winter here in Maine, what do you think about not having ABS in this car for all season driving? Am I crazy? Is this a no brainer why the F am I even considering an RS? Or is it not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. RS owners or any and all educated please help me narrow down the playing field on this one, if no ABS is THAT bad then I guess I'm going with a used V///.
Is this your first AWD car?, let me tell you something, I owned a 91 Porsche Carrera 4( AWD), 91 Dodge Stealth R/T tWIN turbo(AWD), 03 WRX(AWD)had 2 Mitsubishis GSX's and now I drive a Evo MR(all my cars had ABS). Buying a car without ABS will make you regret for the rest of your life specially if you are planning on upgrading the car and foremost driving it in Maine with the rain, mud and snow.

The AWD is cool but not having ABS is not cool, I even have a ABS on my BMW F650GS bike and I am reiterating you that and ABS is a must.

Yeah, you can drive everyday without it, and people might think that the RS is hardcore and all that but remember whenever you hit loose gravel, a puddle, a corner to tight, snow or simply swerving becauise of a deer in the middle of the road .

I talked to a guy yesterday which hit a deer with his Kawasaki KLR650 on a dirt road at night doing almost 60mph . Hetold me that the impact could have been preventable had he have ABS.

No doubth man, don't rush, get yourself the EVO8 instead. Insurance will also drop with the ABS

my .50c
Old May 11, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

although we would all like to think that we drive like pro-drivers do because we have this or that much of track experience, chances are you would not be able to out-brake the Super Sport ABS on the EVO period. There is no way a human can out-pulsate an ABS period. Car manufacturers developed the ABS for a reason. And the RS doesn't come with the ABS also for a reason and that reason being that it is meant to be driven on track which you will never run into a deer during a snow storm or have to swivel to evade a fallen tree during a heavy down pour with low visiblity.

People are right when they say they hate ABS on track...that's because they are on a track. Unless you don't drive in the real world, then you will need ABS.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking as a brake engineer (notice the username). I would not drive a car without ABS in a 4 season region. ABS allows you to be able to steer during an ABS event because the wheel does not "lock up." I have driven my EVO in the snow (yes with the Advans) and the ABS saved my toosh more than once. In the rain, I'm very careful and have never cycled ABS while the roads are wet. If you never contend with snow, you could make a serious argument that you do not need ABS. Like I said, I've only cycled ABS about 4 times (all in snow storms). On dry pavement, ABS should not cycle during normal braking, or even high decel braking. I live in Michigan, so ABS is very important to me. If I lived in Arizona, I would consider it.

I have done ABS testing and TC/VSC testing at our testing facility in northern Michigan and can attest that these technologies make a HUGE difference! Try to steer out of a slide without ABS on a sheer sheet of ice!

Last edited by BRKENG; May 12, 2005 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: No ABS. Life without it.