Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

first oil change at 5,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes , change your oil early and often. every 2.5k
Old May 12, 2005, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I follow Mitsubishi's little book -- Every 5k -- car has been running great!!
Old May 12, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I can't see much reason to own the car if you never use it, but to each his own. You also have no reason to change your oil every 3k miles. Remember, it's FULLY SYNTHETIC oil, so it does not break down as quickly as regular oil. I don't know how you get service for free just by having a friend at a dealership, but I guess as long as you can get that, there's not much reason to do otherwise.

1st off, i bought the car because i love evo's. i know what they can do, performance wise (i do watch tv and videos), and ive seen my friend race his. i also have no desire to race because thats just not my thing. i love my car and would never "dog it" by racing it. would i time attack a road course if i could afford it? sure would, but i have more important things i need to worry about. ive seen my friend launch his, and race his and blah blah blah... while mine has never had a problem, his has been through 2 t-cases, 1 diff, 2 axels, 3 clutches, and 2 turbos. would i like to have his kind of money? sure would. would i want my car to be like his? nope. dont be bashing me about how i shouldnt have a reason to own it. im a car nut, i happen to like the car. hell, the cars modded with what i can afford... geee, is it so bad to like a car so much, and baby the hell out of it, mod it a little, but never race it?

ive put in a lot of money into car payments, insurence, mods (somewhat) etc. i think i reserve the right to decide how i want my car to look, run, and how i want to drive it. if you bought the car to run it into the ground, break ****, then rip off mitsu for the warrenty work, thats all you brother. me, on the other hand, i like the car for what it is...a convience item that looks hella sweet and can get up and go!

anywayz, i said my friend worked at mitsu so i get all my **** done for free... how u ask? hes a mitsu mechanic! i pull my car in on certain days when the service manager isnt there, he pulls me in, gets my work done (now, i might have to pay 5 or 10 bucks for certains fluids sometimes) toss him about 10-20 bucks for helping me save a ****load of money, and im on my way. cant ask for cheaper mitsu service then 20 bucks for an oil change, tranny fluid exchange and all the other stuff

and im not a moron, im well aware that synthetic oils break down slower then others. im doing no harm to my engine changing my oil every 3k, just costing me about 15 bucks for the oil. so why bother with 5? i know many people who change the oil every 3k. some people just dont trust going 5k, others go 10k (me when i had my older N/A eclipse). its all a preference reallly. somewhere in between that 3 and that 5 is the sweet spot. anything longer, u run the risk of screwing ur engine up, anything shorter doesnt give u maximum lubrication/oil for ur money.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evolved8
1st off, i bought the car because i love evo's. i know what they can do, performance wise (i do watch tv and videos), and ive seen my friend race his. i also have no desire to race because thats just not my thing. i love my car and would never "dog it" by racing it. would i time attack a road course if i could afford it? sure would, but i have more important things i need to worry about. ive seen my friend launch his, and race his and blah blah blah... while mine has never had a problem, his has been through 2 t-cases, 1 diff, 2 axels, 3 clutches, and 2 turbos. would i like to have his kind of money? sure would. would i want my car to be like his? nope. dont be bashing me about how i shouldnt have a reason to own it. im a car nut, i happen to like the car. hell, the cars modded with what i can afford... geee, is it so bad to like a car so much, and baby the hell out of it, mod it a little, but never race it?
Uh, all I said was, "I can't see much reason to own the car if you never use it, but to each his own." Your response was about 20x longer, and I'm still not convinced. I didn't say anything about racing or abusing your car. I'm stock and I don't race my car, but I sure as hell don't baby it. I didn't buy it to look at it...that's retarded. I bought it to have fun every time I step behind the wheel. Your friend is a bad example. You can drive the car hard without breaking parts all the time...

As for the rest, your little oil change explanation makes my point. You first said you get it free because your friend works there, and I found that hard to believe, because they don't just give away services like that. Then, you respond by admitting that you do actually pay for some fluids AND that it only happens when the service manager isn't around, which means that it isn't an allowed activity...it's basically stealing, but hey, it's your friend who's running the risk, not you.

You don't run any risk waiting until 5k with Synthetic oil, especially if the car is babied. 3k is near the minimum of the efficiency range.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

my practice is to get rid of your first oil around 2000 miles, flush out the the shavings, then you can go with anywhere between 3000-5000 miles and it would be just fine.... i adjust it depending on my activities..... after every autocross or roadracing, i will change out the oil.... if not i will push it to 5-6k.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

i said sometimes i pay for fluids. sometimes. meaning that the most ive actually spent for fluids over 2 years of ownership has been EXACTLY 10.00$. 10 bucks over 2 years. the only thing the dealership is loosing out on is the time for the service, lol. but they rip people off anyway @ 75 bucks an hour, f that.

u say u never race ur car, but yet ur sig lists a quarter time of 13.1 @ 104. sure seems like u raced it to me. ???
Old May 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

I did my first oil change @ 5K which was about 10 days ago. I drove it like I stole it straight from the factory, no break in, and my oil level is still the same as it was from day 1. I was actually surprised.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evolved8
i said sometimes i pay for fluids. sometimes. meaning that the most ive actually spent for fluids over 2 years of ownership has been EXACTLY 10.00$. 10 bucks over 2 years. the only thing the dealership is loosing out on is the time for the service, lol. but they rip people off anyway @ 75 bucks an hour, f that.

u say u never race ur car, but yet ur sig lists a quarter time of 13.1 @ 104. sure seems like u raced it to me. ???
The dealership is losing out on the COST of fluids you use (synthetic oil isn't cheap), too. Why would you say the "only" thing the dealership is losing out on is the time for the service? Isn't that a lot? Isn't that how they make a profit? They are paying your friend his hourly wage while he's working on your car for free. He still gets paid, even though the service department gets nothing...so they are not only NOT making a profit (necessary to stay in business), but they are LOSING money. Again, great for you, but not smart of your friend.

I didn't say I "never" race my car. I went to the track once to get a baseline run in stock form. Through the life of the car, I plan on going occasionally to see what effect my few mods make, but I don't claim to "race" my car like you were saying your friend does. If going to the track once in a while to do a few runs defines "racing" to you, then you must REALLY not use your car at all. It's called "test and tune" for a reason...
Old May 12, 2005, 09:27 AM
Admin Alumni

1st change at 500, next one will be at about 1,000, then every 3-4K after that, depending on use. it's a lot easier to change the oil than to change the motor (even with synthetic oil).
Old May 12, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I dumped mine out at 2k. I always like to examine the break in oil for metal flakes, shavings and so forth. Break in is slower with synths than with organics or it would have been 1k for my first. I do my Evos oil every six months as I do not drive her for transportation so my mileage is low and I like to keep my oil clear enough to see the dip stick through it 9this is difficult with M1 as it is very dark to begin with). I doubt that there is much benefit to changes before 5k but it doesn't hurt to do so either.