Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

first oil change at 5,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first oil change at 5,000 miles?

when was the first time you changed your oil? mitsubishi regular service is at 5,000 miles at first, but i was wondering how many of you guys have changed the oil before the first service.

i have 4,100 miles on my car and have never changed the oil yet. i usually push myt car to redline many times. im thinkng of an oil change soon will be worth the $$$ or should i just wait for 5k miles?
Old May 11, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

How long were you supposed to break the car in for? You probably took it to redline and launched way before you should have :\
Anyway good luck
Old May 11, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

well, i would have got one alittle while ago...IDK, just because its the first one. But we do use synthetic, so you should be fine. You should just get one soon though
Old May 11, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

i did my first oil change just after i finished breaking my engine in. so about 1000-1500 miles.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chizcwish74
when was the first time you changed your oil? mitsubishi regular service is at 5,000 miles at first, but i was wondering how many of you guys have changed the oil before the first service.

i have 4,100 miles on my car and have never changed the oil yet. i usually push myt car to redline many times. im thinkng of an oil change soon will be worth the $$$ or should i just wait for 5k miles?
I did my MR at 4300 miles. I would have waited until 5k, but I'm not putting the miles on as fast as the time allotted, so I went ahead and had the 5k service done, so that I can make sure to get all 9 free services within 3 years, even though I should be well below 45k miles.

I've read how many people changed their oil after the initial break-in, then again after another 1k miles before starting the normal intervals. I didn't find that necessary, and things have gone flawlessly so far.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have changed mine every 5000 miles and had the oil tested after each and everything is fine.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
How long were you supposed to break the car in for? You probably took it to redline and launched way before you should have :\
Anyway good luck
i never talked about "breaking in" on my post...

"You probably took it to redline and launched way before you should have" <<< what made you say that?
Old May 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

1st was 1500
2nd was 3500
3rd was 6000 and then every 2500-3000 then on
Old May 11, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chizcwish74
i never talked about "breaking in" on my post...

"You probably took it to redline and launched way before you should have" <<< what made you say that?
Sorry to jump on your case, just the way you described your driving, if not not my bad I was just playing anyhow
Either way I hope all goes good with your Evo GL!
Old May 11, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

1st-350
2nd-1200
3rd-3000
4th-5000
5th-8000
6th-12000

I learned a long time ago from several mechanics to change your oil in a new motor VERY soon, this allows you to rid the motor of metal shavings etc from the motor breaking in. Has worked for me many times. Everyone seems to have their own ideas on when and how often. After I let my wifes car run too long between oil changes and the motor blew at 62K(just two thousand miles outside of warranty) and saw what the inside of the engine looked like I change my oil all the damn time now!
Old May 11, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

isnt it like every 3000 or so..?
Old May 11, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AtO-MiX
isnt it like every 3000 or so..?
5k per the manual due to synthetic oil, which not only lasts longer, but doesn't start to work well until 2k miles or so.
Old May 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

i changed mine after the 1st 1k, then at 3, then 6, then 9 etc.

my friend works at mitsu so i get all my stuff done for free whenever i need it and he lets me watch too . i have never seen oil so damn dirty then my 1st change in the evo. i was excited to see it go, honestly.

also, i drive my car gingerly, lol. ive NEVER raced, never launched, never been to the track etc. and i still change it every 3k.

also, i was reading somewhere that the breakin is very important, ive read reports of people not breaking in the car properly and having oil consumption for the life of the motor. mine eats not oil at all, and i like it that way
Old May 11, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved8
i changed mine after the 1st 1k, then at 3, then 6, then 9 etc.

my friend works at mitsu so i get all my stuff done for free whenever i need it and he lets me watch too . i have never seen oil so damn dirty then my 1st change in the evo. i was excited to see it go, honestly.

also, i drive my car gingerly, lol. ive NEVER raced, never launched, never been to the track etc. and i still change it every 3k.

also, i was reading somewhere that the breakin is very important, ive read reports of people not breaking in the car properly and having oil consumption for the life of the motor. mine eats not oil at all, and i like it that way
I can't see much reason to own the car if you never use it, but to each his own. You also have no reason to change your oil every 3k miles. Remember, it's FULLY SYNTHETIC oil, so it does not break down as quickly as regular oil. I don't know how you get service for free just by having a friend at a dealership, but I guess as long as you can get that, there's not much reason to do otherwise.
Old May 11, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I changed mine first at about 1200 miles since I wanted to get the "break in" oil out of there, and then I have changed it at 5k, 10k, 15k and 20k. I just go by the 5k recommended intervals since its synthetic oil. BTW, I am a tech at Mercedes and they only say you have to change the oil at 10k intervals. I disagree with this but this is what MB says and people go by it and I have yet to replace or rebuild an engine at work due to problems caused by not changing oil.