Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy an Evo8 or a SupraMK4TT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold
Problems? I have a '97. No problems at all. I know guys with 120-160k on the odometer and at BPU levels, no problems. It's a Toyota and they were built solid. The problems happen when people do something they shouldn't and/or do it poorly. You have the car confused with something else. Sure the newest Supra is at least 7 years old, but so what. If you want to mod a car, why worry about warranty anyway. You won't have much of one the moment you do the big mods on an EVO for your drivetrain or any other car for that matter.
I used to work for Toyota, I agree that they are exceptionally reliable and well-built cars. Much better than the crap they make today in Toyota's American plants.

That said, almost all but the most expensive ($30,000+) Supras out there are all approaching 75,000-100,000 miles. It doesn't matter if your car is made out of diamond, that's a lot of wear and tear. Rattles develop in the dash as it begins to warp from the sun or just age. The leather seats will start to crack. The car will most definitely need a respray on the front bumper from rock chips. Wheels will need to be replaced due to excessive brake dust pitting. The sport roof will almost assuredly start to creak and will require constant retorqueing of the bolts to make sure it stays in tight.

The drivetrain is absolutely bullet proof and I think even in BPU form they are good for at least 200,000 with no problems...but the rest of the car will need $$$$ care and attention at 80,000+ miles... as with any other car! These are not problems specific to the Supra by ANY means.

The Supra is a great weekend car (if you can afford such a nice weekend car), I kick myself for selling mine all the time, but if the guy who created this thread needs a reliable daily driver that is practical, the Evo is the way to go.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold
Problems? I have a '97. No problems at all. I know guys with 120-160k on the odometer and at BPU levels, no problems. It's a Toyota and they were built solid. The problems happen when people do something they shouldn't and/or do it poorly. You have the car confused with something else. Sure the newest Supra is at least 7 years old, but so what. If you want to mod a car, why worry about warranty anyway. You won't have much of one the moment you do the big mods on an EVO for your drivetrain or any other car for that matter.
I had a 93 Supra was Bpu++ for 50k miles, before it hit 100k miles it needed coilpacks, valve stem seals, wheel bearings, the first turbo blew, and alot of other misc stuff. These were all pretty expensive. If you could afford an extremely low mileage stock Supra that was well taken care of then you would be fine. But it is really hard to find those, especially in a manual, as there were only 4000 manuals made. If you coluld find a car like that it would not be in the price range of an evo.