Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy an Evo8 or a SupraMK4TT

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy an Evo8 or a SupraMK4TT

Hey guys! Whats up?
So my question is which car would u buy?
My mom is going to sell her apartement in seoul, korea in about a year or so and from that money she will by me a car Wink (max price about 26000$)!
So know i am searching around and my favourites are the evo8 and the supra4tt. (Yeah i know i asked alot in former times about different cars like the dsms and so on but now i will get the money i need to buy a good car Wink )

I think both cars are pretty good and powerfull. I like the style of both cars but there are some reasons get me sticky in buying one.... for example the supra will be a bit more powerfull than the evo but it is alot older and i dont know how long the chassi will last until it starts to get rusty... my tuning targets are getting a car which can run the 1/4 mile in about 11.6 or less Wink
The supra has a 6 cylinder 2jz-gte engine right? and the evo 8 a 4g63 4 cylinder engine... i think both cars reacts good on bolt on mods and both are pretty easy to tune and getting more power out of them.
The supra engine will hold about 700 hp stock (ive read) and the evo engine about 500 right?

here are some facts ive forgotten to mention...
- I live in germany and i have to ship the car i will buy.
- We do not have race gas here, just pump gas (96 us octane, here rated with 98-100 octane) what will mean i am very restricted in getting out much hp safely, think max on pump gas is 600 hp for a supra right?, and about 500 for the evo.
- If the time has come i will need someone to help me shipping and looking the car i will buy (i will pay this person for the job Wink )
- There are under 400 evos in germany and under 200 supra mk4... Wink (So both cars are rare)
- An evo costs about 46000$ new and about 36-38000$ used ;(
- Just have seen 1 supra mk4 and about 3 evos in berlin
- Evos are sold in germany so it is easier to find a mechanik, supras mk4 have never been sold and the maintanance shall be more difficult...

Well it seems that my biggest problem is i have never had sportscar before and i am a little bit afraid of the supra cause what if i wont be able to handle the high hp output (cause its rwd).
I havent really done anything in tuning till yet so i may start with the evo8 to learn the basics in tuning and driving

Plz write ure oppinions and gimme some reasons why to buy a supra or an evo!
And please dont blame me for such a question; ive got blamed alot at some supra forums...
Old May 13, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

wow u have nice gas over there...no we wont bash u for asking, everyone's just gonna tell u that its whatever you're more interested in, if you're more into handling, quick response, 4 doors for more space, something more new, ultimate grip on the road, and a very nice launch feel, go for the Evo, but if you're into highway racing/rolls, drag racing, drifting, plan to put out very insane amounts of hp, and am willing to spend the money on Supra's EXPENSIVE aftermarket parts, then go for the Supra. Dont get me wrong, Evos aftermarket parts are expensive but supras are worse. I worked for a shop that specialized in Toyota racing cars and my friend launched a MK4 supra TT and the rear diff went out the first time. I kinda looked at the supra differently from then on. They are still awesome cars tho, i always stare whe i see one. Learning to tune on an Evo wouldnt be such a good idea. Its still a very expensive car, if u wanna learn to tune i'd start on something smaller like a Honda, or a turbo early model DSM. As for your maintenance issue, the supra will give u problems so dont think it wont. The evo will too, but ur mechanics that are close by can help you with that.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Its all on what you want from the car. If hou want a top end monster thats going to attract all the honeys get the supra. If you want a car thats a killer from 1-140mph four doors good handling get the evo.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I can tell you one thing from my previous experinces:
You will get problems with "TÜV"

The emissions test and tuning possiblitys are very strict in germany,i dont think that you can use a evo or supra with 500Hp as a daily driver.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

remember that a supra is a Toyota which in term means Reliability.. (That's if you dont go crazy and mod the hell out of it) .. a bit of bolt ons can get you 500 HP where as an evo is newer AWD (Dont know what type of weather you are going to be needing/usign this vehicle you are going to be purchasing) over all they are both great cars ..
Supras can go beyond the 145 MPH easily.. whereas an EVO takes a bit to make it happen.. But it can dont get me wrong ..

Enjoy what ever car you end up buying !! and good luck !!!
Old May 13, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

snow=Evo
Old May 13, 2005, 09:17 AM

Yeah in we have all kind of weathers here and i even wanna drive the car in winter and autumn... the TÜV is very restriciv right... but here are some relatively high hp cars (saw one supra with 560 hp at the crank). A friend of mine is going to become a mechanic at bmw hope this will help me in tuning

Just to let u know most high lvl competitors here are porsches (911/s/turbo) bmw m3 and mercedes sl500 or amg sl55 and some "tuned and modded cars (for example honda crx, honda civic, mazda mx5, bmw 318/320, mercedes c-class )" (most of them looks nice but are very slow; i can get some with my golf4 tdo with 100 hp lol) which are rated under 260 hp crankschaft power.... I wanna get em all
Old May 13, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Both cars are great but you have to buy what makes you happy. Think about all the angles before you make your decision, for example, these cars are not cheap to maintain and if stuff were to break is there a dealership/vendor for replacement parts, are there shops that know how to work on these cars, etc ... Plus you are posting on an EVO forum, the opinion may be a little biased ... plus you a lot ...
Old May 13, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

AWD. 4 doors, real back seat, handles better & looks better(IMHO)--->EVO hands down.
Old May 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

i say get both
Old May 13, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
supra
Old May 13, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Evo is more practical...one of the reasons I bought it is, when I do have a family, the 4 doors can come in really handy..and the AWD is pretty decent in the snow and rain...The car is quiet spacious for being a compact.

Now, if you're looking to get noticed by girls and just plain get noticed in your car...Supra's your choice. Find a 98 red pop-top turbo Supra...that was what I wanted back when I was deciding too...later this week, I'll post the US production numbers of all Supras based on color, year, and trim on this post and you can decide which one you'd want if it is a Supra. Problem is, Supra prices since around year 2000 had been a bit inflated here in the US because of that Fast and Furious movie...so you might want to consider shopping elsewhere in Europe...

I've noticed parts for both cars are pretty expensive compared to parts on similar type cars...I'm comparing prices by HKS and Tein and large respectable tuning companies...Manufacturer tuning parts are probably easier to come by through TRD than Ralliart...though TRD is hardly cheap nor wild...it's very subtle but reliable. 3rd party tuner parts are everywhere for both cars, so you shouldn't worry about that if that's what you're probably going for...seeing you want a 11s Supra or Evo...

So, your decision shouldn't be based on money and should be based on what you want in a car...a practical "sleeper" sedan with AWD or a hot eye catching coupe.

Don't worry about the power, you'll get used to it in like a month to 3 months, depending on how much and how you drive...that's what happened when I moved up from my Toyota Corolla to my Evo...now I think my car's slow!!
Old May 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

sad to say ..
but supra
Old May 13, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
... plus you a lot ...
lol very true

if i were in your shoes i would grab an evo, but that's me (i prefer the handling and AWD over the supra's RWD)

but i think you will be more than happy with whichever one you choose, they both are awesome cars
Old May 14, 2005, 09:13 PM

I think i will go with an evo8 cause of handling, four doors and awd, i like it the style of the car and even more i like to have kind of a sleeper with a strong 4g63 engine in it Most people here thinks if they are looking at an import car: nice but slow; so they have to learn that even an import car can be fast and even faster.
German brands are mostly tuned and modded here but as i said there are just a few which can hold up with an evo8... even the golf4 gti with a kkk twin turbo kit making about 520 hp (460whp) is runnin the quarter mile in about 11.8 seconds and 0-60 mph in about 4.4 seconds lol

with their evos are best!!!!!

Last edited by seth112; May 14, 2005 at 09:16 PM.