Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Isnt the SRT-4 sort of a long lost brother of the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CosEvo
I don't mean to bassshhhh on anyone here, but this is what I think. I owned American and European cars. All of my friends only drive cars from Japan. I owned Deville, Pontiac GTP, Chevy and Ford. Each car was good for about a year. After that they sounded like a bunch of cans. The Deville felt really bad and unstable specially at high speeds. When I went over to the European side, my first car was a S60 T5. The change was night and day difference from the American cars. The S60 T5 has amazing mid range speed. I easily walked STIs, Camaro....etc... The comfort in the car was better than any other car I have ever sat in, EVER!!!... Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW does not even come close to the comfort I had in that car. I put 80,000 miles on the car in two years. I went on trips almost every month. The car had not even one problem. NOW!!!!

I don't have any more cars.... I bought only one car for my wife EVO VIII. Now I am waiting for the EVO IX to come out. I really don't care who is going to drive what car since we are married and we share , but I want to tell you all. I have been through life and I seen many cars and owned lots of cars and drove lots of cars, but none where even close to the EVO. I would never ever compare this car to the SRT-4. I went and test drove the car and I was not impressed; Really. The car seats are really stupid fell, the car handles like rubish and the car looks Hidious. If anyone that I know would see me in that car would turn their back on me or set my car on fire. I remember when the Eclipse came out with Talon and everyone said that they have an Eclipse engine in the Talon. I did not even arguee with them, they found out the truth in a short time. Just the built of Dodge is so bad that I cannot even describe. In Europe when we see Dodge is a miracle. It's even viewed worse then Kia. I can go on forever about Dodge and American cars but I am going to stop right here because I probably bored you guys out. Everyone who owns a EVO is the luckiest person in the world to be able to own a Supercar for $30,000. By the way I just came back from Europe and the cheapest EVO VIII that I seen in my City went for $45,000.

Think about the cars you guys own...... "EVO is viewed as high as Ferarri."
Please stop comparing this car to Neon.... It's just not fair...
Originally Posted by CosEvo
That is what I said. I view this that same way like if some young kids (13 years old) would like to compare their selfs with MJ and challenge him to a one on one. Same thing here. All the Magazines compare the Evo with cars that are well over $170,000 and the same Magazines compare the SRT-4 to Cobalt SS, 1950s' Hondas' (joke hahaha), Saturn. Lets get real people..... Please stop feeding these kids that come and post crap about the SRT-4 here. We don't need to go down to their level.
Wow. You're an arrogant ***. You act like you're better than those guys but in the process you come across as an arrogant, pretentious *****. I owned an SRT-4 before I bought my Evo and it wasn't a second rate car by any means. I would never have imagined 5 years ago that I'd own a Neon...but it's about as much a Neon as an Evo is a Lancer.

These threads always go from informative to immature because of clowns like this guy above talking out of his *** about a car he test drove for all of 5 minutes. Well I put 25k hard miles on my '04 SRT-4. I never had one, single, little problem whatsoever. If Dodge is making bad cars I certainly didn't get one of the lemons. On top of that the car was cheap and easy to mod. I'm no mechanic, but I alone installed stage 2, lowering springs, 3" exhaust, a blow off valve and a short throw shifter. It was a fun, affordable car. Had it been AWD or RWD I'd still be driving it. Problem is after about 270fwhp is becomes really tough to put that power to the ground. With the Evo the sky is the limit...assuming you've fortified the drivetrain accordingly if it's uber power you want.

In any event...yes...the SRT-4 has a Mitsubishi turbo. In fact the Mopar stage 3 kit comes with the neccesary hardware to turn your factory turbo into the EXACT same 16g twin scroll that comes on the Evo from the factory.

As I understand it the financial status of Mitsubishi is secure for the next 5-8 years because of the loan they received from Tokyo Bank. Their relationship with Daimler Chrysler (and Hyundai) is more of a technology share and R&D joint venture. The Neon platform, like the Lancer platform, is going away. Both companies will share the successive compact platform...sorta like how the Dodge Stratus and Mitsubishi Eclipse share a platform right now. Engine options, interior, and most other cosmetics will remain separate I would assume.

Right now the SRT-4 is more or less than 2nd or 3rd cousin of the Evo. They share little else than a turbo housing and a few plastic parts. However, the thing I'm interested in seeing is if the next SRT-4 (remember...the Neon platform is just a vessel for the SRT-4 badge) will share the same platform with the Evo X (remember that the Lancer platform is just a vessel for the Evolution badge). If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if the next SRT-4 is AWD. That would be awesome IMHO. Look what kind of benefits the consumer has enjoyed as a direct result of the rivalry between Subaru and Mistu over the STi and Evo. Throwing a 3rd turbo, AWD, 4 door compact into that mix can only lead to more competition...the end result of which we, the consumer, will enjoy.

Try to think rationally people. Both the Neon and Lancer are going away. Dodge and Mitsubishi are intent on sharing platform to minimize production costs. The next few years should be interesting.
Old May 13, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steiner
Try to think rationally people. Both the Neon and Lancer are going away. Dodge and Mitsubishi are intent on sharing platform to minimize
production costs. The next few years should be interesting.
You pretty much reiterated what I already said, so I agree up until this last point. and yes, I am splitting hairs, but I feel it has to be said. Chrysler just signed a check. It is Mitsubishi who developed the DSM and the Lancer. It is the Neon that is going away, not the Lancer. Mitsubishi has designed the next generation platform for its Lancer and Chrysler is buying it from them for their small cars. They can call it a Caliber or whatever, but it is their car becoming Mitsubishi based, not the other way around. The engine, well that's another matter. It came from the engineering of three different companies, so interesting indeed.
Old May 13, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
You pretty much reiterated what I already said, so I agree up until this last point. and yes, I am splitting hairs, but I feel it has to be said. Chrysler just signed a check. It is Mitsubishi who developed the DSM and the Lancer. It is the Neon that is going away, not the Lancer. Mitsubishi has designed the next generation platform for its Lancer and Chrysler is buying it from them for their small cars. They can call it a Caliber or whatever, but it is their car becoming Mitsubishi based, not the other way around. The engine, well that's another matter. It came from the engineering of three different companies, so interesting indeed.
Right...my bad. I didn't mean to repeat. Thanks for correcting me. Mitsubishi will keep the Lancer name, even though the platform will significantly change for '06. However both the Neon name and current 2nd generation platform will become extinct, and Dodge will fill the void in their compact lineup with a platform developed and then borrowed from Mitsubishi...to be called whatever the hell Dodge wants...let's just hope the name isn't as femmy as "Neon" since they want men to buy them too this time around.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Wow. You're an arrogant ***. You act like you're better than those guys but in the process you come across as an arrogant, pretentious *****. I owned an SRT-4 before I bought my Evo and it wasn't a second rate car by any means. I would never have imagined 5 years ago that I'd own a Neon...but it's about as much a Neon as an Evo is a Lancer.

These threads always go from informative to immature because of clowns like this guy above talking out of his *** about a car he test drove for all of 5 minutes. Well I put 25k hard miles on my '04 SRT-4. I never had one, single, little problem whatsoever. If Dodge is making bad cars I certainly didn't get one of the lemons. On top of that the car was cheap and easy to mod. I'm no mechanic, but I alone installed stage 2, lowering springs, 3" exhaust, a blow off valve and a short throw shifter. It was a fun, affordable car. Had it been AWD or RWD I'd still be driving it. Problem is after about 270fwhp is becomes really tough to put that power to the ground. With the Evo the sky is the limit...assuming you've fortified the drivetrain accordingly if it's uber power you want.

In any event...yes...the SRT-4 has a Mitsubishi turbo. In fact the Mopar stage 3 kit comes with the neccesary hardware to turn your factory turbo into the EXACT same 16g twin scroll that comes on the Evo from the factory.

As I understand it the financial status of Mitsubishi is secure for the next 5-8 years because of the loan they received from Tokyo Bank. Their relationship with Daimler Chrysler (and Hyundai) is more of a technology share and R&D joint venture. The Neon platform, like the Lancer platform, is going away. Both companies will share the successive compact platform...sorta like how the Dodge Stratus and Mitsubishi Eclipse share a platform right now. Engine options, interior, and most other cosmetics will remain separate I would assume.

Right now the SRT-4 is more or less than 2nd or 3rd cousin of the Evo. They share little else than a turbo housing and a few plastic parts. However, the thing I'm interested in seeing is if the next SRT-4 (remember...the Neon platform is just a vessel for the SRT-4 badge) will share the same platform with the Evo X (remember that the Lancer platform is just a vessel for the Evolution badge). If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if the next SRT-4 is AWD. That would be awesome IMHO. Look what kind of benefits the consumer has enjoyed as a direct result of the rivalry between Subaru and Mistu over the STi and Evo. Throwing a 3rd turbo, AWD, 4 door compact into that mix can only lead to more competition...the end result of which we, the consumer, will enjoy.

Try to think rationally people. Both the Neon and Lancer are going away. Dodge and Mitsubishi are intent on sharing platform to minimize production costs. The next few years should be interesting.
Sweet Jesus, thanks, now I don't have to say it... If you've owned an SRT 4 for longer than a week, by all means, please comment on it... if not, keep your mouth shut. Comment on cars you've owned, not on ones you have raced a few times and met a few owners. How often do they get warranty denials for stupid things anyway? And lets not forget the Mazdaspeed 6, it's not as fast, (what, like a claimed 240 bhp?) but it is an AWD performance sedan, is it not? The SRT-4 does a good job of keeping its ground in the Evo/STi world, so stop whining.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
That's true Horinay, but Saab and Audi didn't make the turbo popular, it was still a rare thing, until the Eclipse/Talon, I can't really think of any common turbo vehicles. Plus, the Saabs and Audis generally use LPTs.
beg to differ... SAAB, Volvo and Audi were all MASS producing turbo vehicles in the early 80's. SAAB 900 turbos and Volvo GLTs (turbo bricks) were everywhere. Nissan had 280zx turbos back in 82 or 83.

Although turbocharging technology had been around since the 40's, Porsche made it popularby virtue of racing success and the street 930 turbo. Mitsubishi simply carried the technology into the 90's.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm no longer arguing over this, because it's a waste of time. No one cares for my point of view.
Old May 14, 2005, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cajun Power
Don't be supprised if the EVO X is the Dodge Neon Evolution X. !
i wont , cause i think it will happen = https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=131943
Old May 14, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr Evo
If my EVO was cut from the same cloth as that retarded SRT-4, I would drive her straight into a wall.
lol
Old May 14, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

The SRT forum turned out to be quite an amusing read. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Old May 14, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
The SRT forum turned out to be quite an amusing read. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
That's only 1 of about 100 sections of that forum. It's also dedicated to kill stories. Did you read the introduction...

War Stories (27 Viewing)
Warning! The War Stories section is for the most part, an UN-MODERATED section. If you do not have thick skin, do not venture into this section. In addition, if you participate in this section, keep the War Stories BEHAVIOUR in this section. If you behave like this OUTSIDE of this section, you will be BANNED.
Old May 14, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah... I just love that every "kill" story that refers to an EVO is followed by weak clutch jokes
Old May 14, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

I know, even Goki/Akuma tries to make cracks on the Evo clutch. He is perseverant, though, and I respect that.
Old May 14, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Like Homer and Uncle Herb...