Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Isnt the SRT-4 sort of a long lost brother of the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isnt the SRT-4 sort of a long lost brother of the Evo?

I was thinking abotu this the other day, i remember the regular Neon has a 420a chrysler engine and so does the regular 2G NA Eclipses. Dodge-Chrysler-Mitsu have a tie somehow making the SRT-4 kind of in the bloodline of the MItsu family which includes the Evo? Dodge Stealth-Mitsu 3kGT, Neon-same motor as NA Eclipse, then Evo came out, then Dodge brought out a turbo car of their own
Old May 13, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Dodge made that response to the WRX and Evo. The engine uses a Mitsubishi turbo. I guess you could say it's partially family, but the engine is Dodge, and was used in the Cirrus first.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

mitsu makes alot of turbo's though don't they?
Old May 13, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, they do. They are actually one of the major proponents of turbos. If you ask me, they would be right behind Porsche as the people who helped make turbos popular on production vehicles.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

You might get flamed for saying that but YES. You are right. There are several ties between the companies. Don't be supprised if the EVO X is the Dodge Neon Evolution X. Mitsu is broke and dodge is one of the few companies that may bail them out. Who knows, there may even be a Hemi Evo in the future.

*for those who choose to flame without understanding- a hemi refers the the head design being hemispherical in shape not a proprietary V-8 block design from chrysler. So you can have a I-4 MIVEC Hemi Turbo with a 4g63 block... whoa, made u think... 4g63 I-4 strength and weight, MIVEC valve train, Hemi chambers, 16G turbo, AWD, ACD, AYC. Could be the super EVO!
Old May 13, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the Neon name is going to die. Hemi is really just capitalizing on the fame of the old 300C, it's not so special. The new engine has other, cooler stuff anyway, like coil-on-plug and variable intake manifold, and cam phasing VVT.
Old May 13, 2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Yeah, they do. They are actually one of the major proponents of turbos. If you ask me, they would be right behind Porsche as the people who helped make turbos popular on production vehicles.
Actually, Saab and Audi have been putting turbo's in thier production cars since the late 70's early 80's. I think other companies like Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda jumped on the band wagon later on.
Old May 13, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

That's true Horinay, but Saab and Audi didn't make the turbo popular, it was still a rare thing, until the Eclipse/Talon, I can't really think of any common turbo vehicles. Plus, the Saabs and Audis generally use LPTs.
Old May 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
You might get flamed for saying that but YES. You are right. There are several ties between the companies. Don't be supprised if the EVO X is the Dodge Neon Evolution X. Mitsu is broke and dodge is one of the few companies that may bail them out. Who knows, there may even be a Hemi Evo in the future.

*for those who choose to flame without understanding- a hemi refers the the head design being hemispherical in shape not a proprietary V-8 block design from chrysler. So you can have a I-4 MIVEC Hemi Turbo with a 4g63 block... whoa, made u think... 4g63 I-4 strength and weight, MIVEC valve train, Hemi chambers, 16G turbo, AWD, ACD, AYC. Could be the super EVO!
The hemi that's Dodge is advertising today is a chamber design that is NOT in the true sense "hemispherical." Its a slight modification of the "modified penthouse design" that about 90% of all auto manufacturers are using right now, and Honda was the one that really mainstreamed it. As far as the 4G63 / EVO8 head and chamber design, its more related to a very flattened modified penthouse, more like older F1 chamber designs. High output motors are almost all unequivically very flat modified penthouse. The only really innovative chamber designs coming on the market are the direct injection gasoline engines.

Please do not get wrapped around the axel in Dodge or anybody else's marketing 'hype.' Hemi's did well in the past because of large bore and stroke, and very large valves ... the hemispherical chamber design really isn't that great in general.

As far as the SRT-4 motor in general, its basically a 2.0L stroker, if you compare it to the 4G63 or other such 4 cyls. Look at the bore and stroke on that thing. I think its around 100mm stroke, and around 85mm or so bore. Its not a high revver, but they've really done well on it in general.

jcnel.

Last edited by jcnel_evo8; May 13, 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 13, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

The current SRT engine is an A something.. i had and srt.. and no didnt look anywhere similar
Old May 13, 2005, 10:08 AM

That's true Horinay, but Saab and Audi didn't make the turbo popular, it was still a rare thing, until the Eclipse/Talon, I can't really think of any common turbo vehicles. Plus, the Saabs and Audis generally use LPTs.
apparently you werent around in the 80's. after the oil crisis, every manufacturer started making 4cyl turbo cars for fuel efficient power. RX-7, Merkur Xr4-Ti, Cosworth, Mustang Turbo, MR-2, 280Z, 300Z, Starion, etc...there were lots way before the eclipse ever came out.

Last edited by bluetouring350; May 13, 2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

SRT looks like a toddler compared to the Evo tho
Old May 13, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

What about the Coyote from Dodge, which was also titled like FQ something u know with the funny (f'ing something). It was supposedly named that way because it looked like a vw rabbit but chased and killed it speed wise, also made like over 200hp's. Please jump in at anytime to correct or add to it, but that was also a turbo'd car in the 70's and 80's.

;-)
Old May 13, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Combustions chambers in the Evo and most Japanese engines are hemispherical already. Chrysler just figured out that is better in the middle of the last century.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe a little sister with retard strength, j/k lol

Quick Reply: Isnt the SRT-4 sort of a long lost brother of the Evo?