Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: evo's OEM gauges = aftermarket one?
Yes: OEM is just as good as aftermarket
23.33%
No: Aftermarket gauges are better than OEM
25.83%
Is this thread a joke? : OEM gauges are "junk" compared to aftermarket
31.67%
I have no idea which one is better
19.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they came in your MR, I understand. However I am speaking from the point of view of a person who added gauges to their GSR.

Personally, I would rather monitor something more vital, such as oil pressure and temp, to keep something catastrophic from happening, instead of having a gauge to troubleshoot a non catostrophic problem...

But whatever, to each his own.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mooreboost
If they came in your MR, I understand. However I am speaking from the point of view of a person who added gauges to their GSR.

Personally, I would rather monitor something more vital, such as oil pressure and temp, to keep something catastrophic from happening, instead of having a gauge to troubleshoot a non catostrophic problem...

But whatever, to each his own.
No one asked about adding these gauges...the question is whether the OEM gauges are equal in quality or not...mainly the boost gauge.

Oil temp is one of the 3 gauges. I would like oil pressure in place of voltage, but that doesn't mean voltage is useless.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:58 PM

If memory serves the three mitsu gauges are mounted down by the bottom of the shifter doesn't that make reading them at speed kinda dangerous?
Old May 15, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egon726
If memory serves the three mitsu gauges are mounted down by the bottom of the shifter doesn't that make reading them at speed kinda dangerous?
Yes, but that isn't relevant to the discussion. The stock boost gauge is in the worst spot, but we're discussing mechanical quality here.
Old May 16, 2005, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

i think they're fine quality wise... but ergonomically placing it under the stereo and the presentation i.e. "the looks and style" is terrible!

Also, the OEM tapped the boost on the wrong FPR line? that's what I heard...
Old May 16, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Stock gauges that come with the MR look fine and work fine I guess???

We need to go aftermarket then because our stock cluster is OEM...
Old May 23, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ttt
Old May 28, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

There's nothing wrong with the OEM sports gauge cluster. Unfortunately I had to remove it because I'm now using both DIN's for my stereo setup. I bought a 46mm HKS meter cup and was planning to use it to hold the OEM Mitsu boost gauge and then mount it on the top of the dash with doublesided tape...

...Unfortunately it doesn't fit in there how I want it to so I'm stuck getting a 46mm HKS mechanical boost gauge for $100. It sucks IMO. I have no problem with the OEM boost gauge. I just can't find anything or anywhere to mount it outside of the factory 3 gauge cluster.
Old May 28, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

they work fine, but i have that mod bug like every other sucker on this site!!!!!!!!!!!

selling my stock guages for $150 shipped. PM if interested

Last edited by Turbolover; May 28, 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

up
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

The OEM gauges work just fine... Of course, they are not BLING so as far as looks goes, they prolly tend to "suck" in some people's eyes. The boost gauge is hard to see, but it does work well. The voltage meter might be rather superfluous, but it does work fine.... The oil temp gauge works well too and it definitely could be useful. I moved mine gauges to the top din hole and move the radio down where the gauges were... This makes the gauges a little better to see, but it might be debatable.

If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd install a more sophisticated boost gauge with a peak meter and easier to see. I'd also would install my EGT gauge to keep an eye on things... Basically though, the OEM gauges are perfectly serviceable and probably as good as the majority of aftermarket stuff out there.

my $.02
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
The OEM gauges work just fine... Of course, they are not BLING so as far as looks goes, they prolly tend to "suck" in some people's eyes. The boost gauge is hard to see, but it does work well. The voltage meter might be rather superfluous, but it does work fine.... The oil temp gauge works well too and it definitely could be useful. I moved mine gauges to the top din hole and move the radio down where the gauges were... This makes the gauges a little better to see, but it might be debatable.
I did this AND moved the boost gauge into the left slot, so it's easily visible at all times now. I don't use the voltage meter, but I do use the oil temp on a minute-by-minute basis when driving, especially when racing.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed with the last two posts. Swap the gauges and the stereo, swap the boost and voltage gauges, and the placement is perfect. And they look like they belong there unlike aftermarkets. And seem to be very accurate.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I Dont Know What We Are Yelling About!

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?