Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: evo's OEM gauges = aftermarket one?
Yes: OEM is just as good as aftermarket
23.33%
No: Aftermarket gauges are better than OEM
25.83%
Is this thread a joke? : OEM gauges are "junk" compared to aftermarket
31.67%
I have no idea which one is better
19.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2005, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody is yelling but nobody is saying if the stock OE guages are as capable as others out there
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
Nobody is yelling but nobody is saying if the stock OE guages are as capable as others out there
It depends what you mean by "as capable as others"... First, which "others" are you com paring them to? If all you are comparing is the functionality of the gauges to accurately show whatever they are measuring, they are as good as any other gauge. If OTOH, you are looking for special features like "holding" or recording highest readings of boost, or having some particular arrangemnt of lights, or more ergonomical placement, more readable or visible faces, etc., you might find some aftermarket gauges more suitable to your requirements. Otherwise, the OEM gauges are perfectly good
Old Dec 30, 2005, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

I can't believe I just read all 3 pages of this thread! It had potential but mid way thru, I started dozing off. Zzzzzzzzzzz

As far as my oem gauges go, I really don't use them, there pretty much just a talk piece when I give someone a ride who's never been in a Evo before.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Police
I can't believe I just read all 3 pages of this thread! It had potential but mid way thru, I started dozing off. Zzzzzzzzzzz
i need to redo this thread
i was accused of it being a loaded poll so i think my next one will be a simple yes / no question
Old Dec 30, 2005, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
i need to redo this thread
i was accused of it being a loaded poll so i think my next one will be a simple yes / no question
Hey it's not your fault, it seemed like it was pretty simple. Yea yes or no might work better.
On your new poll I would say " don't know" since I don't use the stockers. I use my Blitz electronic boost controller read out instead.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

To me the OEM gauges are fine. I'm not into the bling factor, pillar gauges block my field of view and no need to call any more attention with top mount stuff. Boost should be set after tuning and not watched while driving, IMO it's there to watch for trouble and out of norm behavior. Oil temp is super important, I watch that one as mentioned earlier every few minutes of hard driving - when the horse gets sweaty give it a rest. I do have a question about what's a hot temp for the IX...? I'd rather have oil pressure than voltage.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

so does anybody know if mitsubishi has an "oil pressure" gauge to match the set? or maybe there is an aftermarket oil pres. gauge that looks similar to the 3 mitsu ones.
reason im asking is cuz i dont plan on upgrading my gauges in a while, but i'd move my boost gauge closer to my tach. and spedometer view and replace the opening with a matching oil pressure gauge
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think any people are up at this hour to answer my question, ha, its all good
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think they do, but I'm not positive. I actually ordered the Mit. Gauges for my 05. They messed up on the price and I knew it from the begining, after I described them specifically, they ordered wrong part and agreed to sell me the gauges for what we had agreed. Long story short, I think they ordered every gague Mitus. had and showed them to me. I never did see a oil temp guage, but did see fuel pressure (form Lance Pod) as well as black on white (not on the boost gauge). I did have them move my boost gauge to the far left though.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
There's nothing wrong with the OEM sports gauge cluster. Unfortunately I had to remove it because I'm now using both DIN's for my stereo setup. I bought a 46mm HKS meter cup and was planning to use it to hold the OEM Mitsu boost gauge and then mount it on the top of the dash with doublesided tape...

...Unfortunately it doesn't fit in there how I want it to so I'm stuck getting a 46mm HKS mechanical boost gauge for $100. It sucks IMO. I have no problem with the OEM boost gauge. I just can't find anything or anywhere to mount it outside of the factory 3 gauge cluster.
Omori makes a 42mm gauge cup that holds the boost guage on the steering column. Subaru also makes a similar product to hold their stock boost gauge. In fact that is what I installed ( a subaru stock factory boost gauge ) since the gauge pack was a very expensive option pack on the '03 Evo.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My oil temp gauge never worked from the day off the showroom floor and Mitsu said they wouldn't cover it under warrantee, that I'd have to go to the dealership that installed it. Too bad for me that I live in San Diego and bought the car in the Bay Area. The boost gauge isn't on Zero when the car is turned off, and the voltage gauge seems to have a mind of its own. IMO, they're a TOTAL waste of money for the expensive option that they are. If they come standard, whatever, leave them down there and have your passenger tell you what the car thinks its boosting at when you hit fuel cut.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I see no evidence here...you just have people who "think" it sucks, but have no clue. The first response wasn't even sure what you were talking about and called it optional, when it's standard on all but the GSRs. The second guy is a 16yo who has had his car one day and "heard" they were garbage. I bet he doesn't go replace his fuel, tach, speedo, and water temp gauges, though...
This is a good point. However, it is possible that the gauges in the pod were provided by someone else other then Mitsubishi. They could be made by an "aftermarket" source other then Mitsubishi Electric (or Heavy) or whoever does the OEM dash cluster.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 30, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I see no evidence here...you just have people who "think" it sucks, but have no clue. The first response wasn't even sure what you were talking about and called it optional, when it's standard on all but the GSRs. The second guy is a 16yo who has had his car one day and "heard" they were garbage. I bet he doesn't go replace his fuel, tach, speedo, and water temp gauges, though...
This is really good, I love it I wonder how many of these know-it-alls have ditched their sucky OEM speedometer, tach, fuel gauge and temp gauge yet..... After all, don't all OEM gauges suck?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My honest opinion is that the Voltemeter gauge is as accurate as any other aftermarket.

As per the oil temp, I don't see why it wouldn't be accurate, I don't think the one that they sell in Autozone are going to be any better either.

As per the boost gauge, well, it reads dead accuarte to what the manufacturer claims. I am waiting for my Defi Controller and I will have both boost gauges connected all the time (the stock MR gauges and the Defi boost gauge) then I will be able to tell if the stock boost gauge is a lier or not.