Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: evo's OEM gauges = aftermarket one?
Yes: OEM is just as good as aftermarket
23.33%
No: Aftermarket gauges are better than OEM
25.83%
Is this thread a joke? : OEM gauges are "junk" compared to aftermarket
31.67%
I have no idea which one is better
19.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?

does the evo's oem stock gauges = aftermarket ones ?
are they equal?
Old May 15, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u mean the optional gauge package under the stereo?
Old May 15, 2005, 04:02 PM

I heard the OEM gauges were garbage
Old May 15, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc
u mean the optional gauge package under the stereo?
correct
Old May 15, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, there are supposed to suck, but there are some crappy aftermarket gauges out there too. Defi gauges are awsome.
Old May 15, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What makes an aftermarket gauge better than the Mitsu one? I haven't seen anything wrong with it and have no reason to believe there's anything wrong with it. If you have some proof or evidence that the stock gauge is somehow inferior, then please share it.
Old May 15, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Theyre ugly, expensive, and voltage is useless.

Get aftermarket.
Old May 15, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

my oem gauge in my old wrx sucked. the first thing i did was get rid of the oem and got myself some defi. im planning to go with defi again once my car is done w/ the break in period
Old May 15, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
I see no evidence here...you just have people who "think" it sucks, but have no clue. The first response wasn't even sure what you were talking about and called it optional, when it's standard on all but the GSRs. The second guy is a 16yo who has had his car one day and "heard" they were garbage. I bet he doesn't go replace his fuel, tach, speedo, and water temp gauges, though...

Another guy says they are 1) ugly (who the hell cares? this isn't a beauty competition, 2) expensive - uh, what? it was a standard feature, and 3) voltage is useless - laugh, not useless to me...and what does utility have to do with quality?

The last guy tries to compare to his WRX...uh, wtf, stay on topic, people...

The real question is, DO YOU HAVE ANY PROOF OR EMPRICIAL DATA to show that the BASIC MECHANICAL OEM BOOST GAUGE is inferior to the average aftermarket gauge in utility?
Old May 15, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

the title does say "do YOU think" it does not saying anything about showing proof. its pretty much asking for the opinion
Old May 15, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc
Yea, there are supposed to suck, but there are some crappy aftermarket gauges out there too. Defi gauges are awsome.
+5
I said it in the other thread, my 30 dollar Autometer boost gauge that I bought for cheap from Checker cuz it's busted sucks, but it reads perfect, all I have to do is add 2 pounds to any number it shows (and I've tested it with a bunch of other boost gauges, including one that COBB uses for tuning)
Old May 15, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SIC SIK SIX
the title does say "do YOU think" it does not saying anything about showing proof. its pretty much asking for the opinion
Yes, but I was responding to burningmoney who quoted me from another thread where this argument originated. He's trying to show me this as "proof" that he's right, when it's nothing more than noobs giving their opinions with no proof or facts.

I have no love for the OEM gauge, but I'd love to use it instead of buying one aftermarket. IF someone has factual data to show me that the basic mechanical boost gauge is no good, then I'll accept it and move on. Until then, I'll keep using it, since it seems to read perfectly so far...
Old May 15, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Another guy says they are 1) ugly (who the hell cares? this isn't a beauty competition, 2) expensive - uh, what? it was a standard feature, and 3) voltage is useless - laugh, not useless to me...and what does utility have to do with quality?

The last guy tries to compare to his WRX...uh, wtf, stay on topic, people...
1)If you're getting gauges, why not get some that look nice? 2)Ofcourse theyre expensive, around $300 I think...3)It could be the most accurate voltage gauge ever, it's still useless. "Hmm, my car wont start, my battery must be dead, ohh yes, my voltage gauge says so..."
Old May 15, 2005, 07:50 PM

my stock boost gauge & my defi are within 1 psi of each other...sounds ok to me
Old May 15, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
1)If you're getting gauges, why not get some that look nice? 2)Ofcourse theyre expensive, around $300 I think...3)It could be the most accurate voltage gauge ever, it's still useless. "Hmm, my car wont start, my battery must be dead, ohh yes, my voltage gauge says so..."
1) Uh, no one is getting gauges...they came with the car.

2) Since you haven't caught on yet, I'll repeat it again...THEY CAME STANDARD, SO THEY WERE NOT EXPENSIVE (aka, no extra cost)

3) Haha, you think that's the only use for a voltage gauge? Sorry, I gave you too much credit. You must have never tried to troubleshoot a bad alternator...

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you think the stock OEM gauges in the evo, are as good as aftermarket ones?