Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

new to mitsubitshi

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
new to mitsubitshi

after driving 6 different hondas for 12 years (NA and boosted), i've decide to have something else a try. well, it wasn't really a choice, my wife told me to get ride of the hatch and get a 4-door car because we just had our first son. so i figured, if i'm going to get a 4-door, i'm going to get a bad *** one. the 3 car i had in mind was the acura TSX, STI, and Evo. TSX is a nice car but front wheel drive only, STI are also nice but too hard to work on because of the boxer engine, Evo won because it's a nice car for mods and easy to work on. So i picked up an 03 Evo this weekend and i love it. I just have some general question. here are the current mods.

-Injen Intake system

-Injen Upper Intercooler piping

-Hallman Manual Boost Controller with in cockpit adjuster (set at 21psi)

-Custom built 3” Turbo-back with Random Technology hi-flow cat (no muffler)

-Walbro 255lph fuel pump

-Turbotrix flash

what would my estimate whp be at with these mod and what other mods can i do to get 350whp with out touching the block. can i do it on the stock turbo. i want to keep spool time as low as possible. how hard can i launch the car on stock clutch, what rmp. thanks for any response.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
260-270 whp now is probably a good ball park. Might be a little low.

Cams should definately be next on your list. They'll get you to @ 300 whp. afterthat I would get with one of the tuning companies and get their advice on were to go from there.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id say somewhere around there.. maybe a tad higher...
Old May 16, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

what turbo would be a bolt on for the stock manifold that would support 350whp.
Old May 16, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

U can get 350whp out of the stock turbo. Check into water/alky injection, and cams. Then u'll need a custom flash.

Last edited by Compjoc; May 16, 2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 16, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

i didn't think the stock turbo can handle 350whp. i can do the cams but not sure if i want to go with water/alky injection, i know they are great benifit but i want something that's maintenance free. what about the stock injectors, can they handle 350 whp with the walbro pump. also, can stock bottom end handle 8000 rpm. it fell so werd shifing at 7k, i'm used to shifting at 9k rpm.
Old May 16, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i didn't think the stock turbo can handle 350whp. i can do the cams but not sure if i want to go with water/alky injection, i know they are great benifit but i want something that's maintenance free. what about the stock injectors, can they handle 350 whp with the walbro pump. also, can stock bottom end handle 8000 rpm. it fell so werd shifing at 7k, i'm used to shifting at 9k rpm.
Their estimates were low. With the right tune, you should be at 300whp on those mods. With cams, you can do anywhere from 325-350hp, again depending on the tune and boost level. The stock turbo and injectors can definitely support 350 without danger...the stock turbo can get up to 400hp, but not on the stock injectors and not without alky injection.

Tuners are raising redlines to 7800 and sometimes higher on the stock bottom end, so yes, you can get at or near 8k rpm without touching the block.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

well, according to the previous owner, the car was dyno tune by turbotrix and make 319hp 307tq, i thought it was kinda high with the current mods but i'm not to familar with this engine. i think my next mod is going to be cams and valve train to handle 8k rpm. and tubular headers for better spool time and maybe ball bearing turbo also. the want the best turbo response i can get and still be able to produce 350whp without chocking on the top end. also, is there any software that will allow me to edit a rom for the stock ecu. i've been tunning honda ecu for awhile and it would be nice if i was able to tune the stock ecu.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

hey Warrtalon, your sig said you got 1.76 60', what tires and clutch did you use when you got that time. any upgrade to the drive train.
Old May 16, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

hey Warrtalon, your sig said you got 1.76 60', what tires and clutch did you use when you got that time. any upgrade to the drive train.
My sig lists all mods/changes to my car. For future reference, anything not listed is 100% stock.

So, that 1.76 60' is on stock tires and stock clutch with the 5k launch limiter switch removed (you don't have this feature).
Old May 16, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

well, according to the previous owner, the car was dyno tune by turbotrix and make 319hp 307tq, i thought it was kinda high with the current mods but i'm not to familar with this engine. i think my next mod is going to be cams and valve train to handle 8k rpm. and tubular headers for better spool time and maybe ball bearing turbo also. the want the best turbo response i can get and still be able to produce 350whp without chocking on the top end. also, is there any software that will allow me to edit a rom for the stock ecu. i've been tunning honda ecu for awhile and it would be nice if i was able to tune the stock ecu.
You won't need a tubular exhaust manifold or a BB turbo to get a reliable 350whp...if TurboTrix tuned your car and claimed 319hp, then it probably has that. It seems a bit high, but maybe it was tuned aggressively or with higher octane gas (and higher boost). I think you can accomplish your goal of 350 whp while being very streetable and reliable with just cams, cam gears, and a good tune (maybe injectors to help maximize the tune).
Old May 16, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need a new turbo at all. The stock turbo has plenty left to go after 350 WHP.

Get injectors and cams, turn up the boost a bit, and you'll be around 350 WHP. You might consider a piggy back engine management system. That with someone who knows what they're doing to tune it, is going to put you beyond your 350 WHP wish.
Old May 17, 2005, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

he sent me the dyno graph and it looks legit with 319hp 307tq. i want tubular manifold and BB turbo for shorter spool time, but cam gears, cams and valve train to handle 8k rpm is going to be first on the list.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you can spend your money on something else besides a manifold and a turbo.. like everyone said you can get 350 easy on the stock turbo. bb turbos for EVO's are not cheap.. but then again what is for this car?
Old May 17, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

he sent me the dyno graph and it looks legit with 319hp 307tq. i want tubular manifold and BB turbo for shorter spool time, but cam gears, cams and valve train to handle 8k rpm is going to be first on the list.
Well, whatever, it's your money to waste. If your mind is made up, don't ask for advice...I just wasted my time answering your questions for naught.