Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Air conditioner robs power?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 08:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4 people in your car will rob you 4th tenth of a second on 1/4 mile.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any accessory running off your crank robs power

The 4 people in you car robbed about one horsepower for every 7 lbs of additional weight, do the math.

Eddybear
Old May 17, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
4 people alone will kill it. 4 people and A/C will do it even worse.
that for sure, I think you would need a gt35r to make up for the lost power
Former Vendor

turn the radio up to loud if you have a system will rob horsepower.. turning your lights on will drain power.. so a/c is a give in...
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
4 people in your car will rob you 4th tenth of a second on 1/4 mile.
i take it you have tested this at the track.
Old May 17, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
I was driving in my car the other day. I had 4 passengers in the car and had the AC on. I wanted to show off the car's power to them and went for it. But it felt much slower than I am use to. My passengers thought it was fast, but I know the car is much faster. Is this normal? Does the AC really rob that much power? Could it also be the fact that I had a full crew in the car? I drove the car the next day, just me and I didn't have the AC on. The car felt quick as heck!
Yes it robs power and you will destroy the compressor of your aircon at the same time. Take note 4 people in the car with aircon on. Its ok to show the power but do not like go beyond 5500rpm. You will eventually blow your aircon's compressor.

Last edited by philippine_evos; May 17, 2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old May 17, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

A good fix to the a/c issue is the grounding wires. While it may not make up the 25 hp you lose, the power loss is much less noticable. Ive had GSx and now my evo and the a/c (espically the defroster) used to drive me NUTS. The grounding wires helped alot to remedy that problem. They don't make any power, but they really help.
Old May 17, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
A good fix to the a/c issue is the grounding wires. While it may not make up the 25 hp you lose, the power loss is much less noticable. Ive had GSx and now my evo and the a/c (espically the defroster) used to drive me NUTS. The grounding wires helped alot to remedy that problem. They don't make any power, but they really help.
That's why people buy grounding wires. It makes sense now.
Old May 17, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure but someone told me if you drive on the highway with your windows up, i think you would get worse gas mileage when with your ac on with windows up.
Old May 17, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

The a/c is too important to me, especially in this f*ckin hot country. . Have to get grounding wires. Aside from the races, I switch off the aircon when Im in an intersection waiting for the light to turn green, and when the road in front is relatively clear, it makes me wanna blow off some carbon deposits , then there she goessssssssss!!!
Old May 17, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the 4 people will put the car in sedan mode, honestly with more than one other person in the car my car feels like it no longer has a turbo, we're talking loss of 100whp at least... and it can't turn nearly as well... same thing as when I have a set of tires and rims in the back seat. A/C definitly robs power, but the 4 people is probably the main thing you noticed, even if the A/C robs 25whp, the people are gonna make it feel like 250whp
Old May 17, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all your replies. I actually feel better knowing that my car is fine. Maybe after mods it won't feel as noticeable. I may invest in the HKS grounding kit.
Old May 17, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philippine_evos
Yes it robs power and you will destroy the compressor of your aircon at the same time. Take note 4 people in the car with aircon on. Its ok to show the power but do not like go beyond 5500rpm. You will eventually blow your aircon's compressor.
Thanks for the tip. Good thing I didn't go all out!
Old May 17, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

The a/c is too important to me, especially in this f*ckin hot country. . Have to get grounding wires. Aside from the races, I switch off the aircon when Im in an intersection waiting for the light to turn green, and when the road in front is relatively clear, it makes me wanna blow off some carbon deposits , then there she goessssssssss!!!
I have been to the Philippines 3 times and I know how hot and humid it is there. I know the importance of AC. Evrybody there seems to always have it blasted! I can also see why compressors go bad.
Old May 17, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

A/C does rob power, but revving to redline will not blow your compressor...who told you that???

Quick Reply: Air conditioner robs power?