Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

jacking up the car

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with bolsen. I always use my friends jack because he has that same Craftsman one.
Old May 18, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

I use some oak blocks or a disk shaped, soft lead casting I made by pouring lead into a small coffee can. The disk goes on the floor jack's cup. This set up will still rotate and really gets a good bite on things without leaving any marks. The rubber thing from J.C.W. looks good, I have read that some saw grooves in hocky pucks.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:26 AM

Front = center right behind tow hook
Rear = diff
Old May 18, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodc
Front = center right behind tow hook
Rear = diff
do we need to take off the under tray?
Old May 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I use the hockey puck system with a groove that I sawed down the middle. I used the "bend it and forget it" system on my Miata & the area got rusty after a while. Also, if you get a flat on the road & need to use the car's jack, it won't work on a bent-over jacking point.

In addition to jack, jack stands & emergency brake, I also chock the wheels on the side that remains on the ground so it won't roll (even in an earthquake).
Old May 18, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Derek888
I would like to start installing my own parts in the future so I want to know what parts I need to get the front of the car up. I hate using the stock jacks and cracking that little POS stick.
What do you think is the best way to get the front up ...both wheels in the air.
I was thinking of buying a nice car jack(the ones that slide beneath the car) and get 2 car jacks to put under the car. Since I dont think you can lift it up from the front of the car do I just lift one side up and then put the stand on one side and then move to the other side and do the same thing? Never really did it myself and im not sure if this is the right way of getting both wheels off the ground safely.

Any tips would be nice...Thanks
If you have a floor jack you could lift the front or rear by the jack points as per the diagram. To lift the front there’s a small section of the under-tray in the middle that could be removed without taking off the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails jacking up the car-evo8-jack-points_evom.jpg  
Old May 18, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I also have that jack and I do work for sears as well. (I fix all the broken $hit that people return.) That particular jack is being discontinued. Now all they have is a part aluminum part steel jack. Not as nice as the aluminum racing jack. I ended up getting mine for like 50.00 with my discount and coupons. Hell of a deal, I couldn't pass it by. I think ramps are the way to go though. I just don't feel right under the car on jackstands. Hard to work like that.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
I use the hockey puck system with a groove that I sawed down the middle. I used the "bend it and forget it" system on my Miata & the area got rusty after a while. Also, if you get a flat on the road & need to use the car's jack, it won't work on a bent-over jacking point.).
How did you cut the groove in the puck? i.e what did you use?

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
In addition to jack, jack stands & emergency brake, I also chock the wheels on the side that remains on the ground so it won't roll (even in an earthquake).
And what do you mean by "chock the wheels"? You live in Ohio, what are you worried about earthquakes for? I was under mine today and felt a decent tremor. Nothing gets the heart pounding like being under your car and the ground is shaking!! Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
If you have a floor jack you could lift the front or rear by the jack points as per the diagram. To lift the front there’s a small section of the under-tray in the middle that could be removed without taking off the whole thing.
dont you need to take off the undertray in the front to jack it up?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by salukidude
How did you cut the groove in the puck? i.e what did you use?

And what do you mean by "chock the wheels"? You live in Ohio, what are you worried about earthquakes for? I was under mine today and felt a decent tremor. Nothing gets the heart pounding like being under your car and the ground is shaking!! Thanks.
You can try a saw. Doesnt have to be pretty.

FYI...ive heard that one of the biggesnt fault lines in the world goes through the midwest. Not many people know about it b/c its been dormant for so many years.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

what are these rhino ramps? I've always used jacks and jack stands. If you have a lowered car how do you get it on the "ramp" or get the jack under? I have never tried it on an evo becuase i do not own one yet.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
You can try a saw. Doesnt have to be pretty.

FYI...ive heard that one of the biggesnt fault lines in the world goes through the midwest. Not many people know about it b/c its been dormant for so many years.
I'm from the midwest. That is the New Madrid fault, and it is the biggest in the world. I suppose the guy from Cincy *could* be at risk. So what does chocking the wheels mean?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Chocking the wheels means putting a device behind them and in front of them so the car can't roll at all.

Picture of a wheel chock
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

^ Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

i use rhino ramps whenever i have to go under the car

Quick Reply: jacking up the car