Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't have to hack the ballast wiring to get them to work. Just put your stock DS2 bulbs back on, and return your upgraded bulbs for a refund. I wouldn't bother with another set from where you bought them. Double check you're using the same wattage as stock (35 watts I think).

I've had 5,800K bulbs on my car for over a year. No problems, nor have I heard anyone have a problem with the brand/vendor I got them from. PM me for more info.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 26, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old May 26, 2005, 06:40 PM

Go back to the originals, unless you like removing the front over and over again.
Old May 26, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

i didn't read the whole thread, but i think its possible that you ballasts may not be rated high enough to fire the gas within the bulb.....i;m sure a brighter bulb requires more voltage...and perhaps current.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

and of course, the stealership WON'T cover headlight parts under warranty if you upgrade your bulbs.
And, as someone already mentioned, that gets pricey if you do damage to the ballasts.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:29 PM

Why people will change to 6000-8000k bulbs I will never figure out. What is the big deal with blue to purple light? You see worse with them than the oem ones. 4,200K is generally the stock color temperature that HID's from the factory come at. Anything else is just rice. Higher color temperature does not give you more light, it just means the color changed. Lumens is where the brightness is. The point of HID's is to see better. Put the factory bulbs back in and enjoy nice bright WHITE light that lights up the road and alows you to see better.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

to each his own
Old May 28, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

4150k is the stock temp. i just like how the 6000k lights the road because im used to my wifes lexus is300 that i upgraded in her car. i understand the light issue, but the difference in lighting the road is actually minimal compared to the 4150k lights. i have done the research prior to upgrading the wifes lights and havent had one problem with hers in her car. i also went with the philips ultinon bulbs which are a bit bluer than the stock bulbs not purple like some think. the purple is the 8000k bulbs which i do agree that you get less light output more color with those bulbs. as far as it being rice, i beg to differ.
Attached Thumbnails HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!-lex-lights.jpg   HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!-lex-bulbs.jpg  
Old May 28, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

thanx there sic sik six for the back up...
Old May 28, 2005, 11:56 PM

if it flickers and goes out it has to be a connection problem some where, its a + & - connection flickering means that not enough power is being given to the HID system. You should check your wiring and maybe look in to getting a larger fuse for the headlight wiring.
Old May 28, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SIC SIK SIX
i dont understand why mitsubishi made it the way so we have to take the bumper off so we can get the bulbs off
stolen headlights and HIDs is a huge problem, nissan and acura got hammered with claims when TL's and Maximas were getting their lights stolen religiously
Old May 29, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your upgrade bulbs should NOT give you any problems if you are just upgrading from stock to 6K. If you are having problems then I would question the bulbs quality. Over 6K you loose brightness. Good bulbs to get are Phillips or PIAA. Never over fuse any wiring system to compensate. Burn baby burn.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

thank you HIDplace and value for the input. i have checked the wiring and no connection problems seem to be recreated by wiring. it is only if they are on for about an hour that they may start to flicker and go out. i can turn the headlights off and refire the ballast and they work for awhile and stabilize then they start to flicker and go out again. no other changes were made other than just changing bulbs. i have the philips ultinon in my wifes IS300 and love them. not one problem never flickered. i also upgraded the bulbs in our honda accord to the 6000k bulbs with hella ballasts and not one problem. i purchased both sets of bulbs from the same distributor on this forum and was told that there is a warranty, but have yet to hear from him.it could just be these bulbs(d2s) for our cars are just poor quality. some people have had problems, while others have not. i just happen to be one of those people who have bad luck with these things....
Old May 30, 2005, 12:48 PM

Im pretty sure that if you up change the bulb to any higher K, or any lower for that matter you need to get a different ballast. The ballast is set to heat the gas to a certain temp, and if the bulb is changed to burn at a different temp i dont see it working out so well. Just from what i understad about HID's

Quick Reply: HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!