Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO owners opinion of the STi.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I went to a Mitsu dealership to buy a used STI with less than 4000 miles on it.Took it for a test drive and loved it.Then for the hell of it I asked if I could drive the MR also.I had $$in my pocket so they said ok.I had no intention on buying the MR because I hated the interior,it was alot more $$,and didn't have as much power but after driving it I was so impressed that I traded my 2004 Audi S4 for it.Its roomier(I have 2 kids and a wife).It drives better(bilsteins are awsome).It handles better(feels lighter and more agile).The 6 speed is butter smooth and downshifts into 1st(much better than my 02 WRX and also better than the STI that I drove).4G63 is better out of the box than STI 2.5 and has tons of potential for mods.To me it was not even close but I've heard others say that about the STI but I did go there with no intentions of buyind the EVO.I loves my stage4 REX but this car is awsome.Also after I broke my MR in I took it to the canyons in Malibu and was absolutely ammased at how well this car handled out of the box.I had street bikes,a C5 corvette and A Boxter S pull over to let me buy but that was after they tried to leave me.I also had my daughter's boyfriend with me(18) who loves the STI and after going thru the canyons in my EVO.He no longer wants the STI.
Please dont think that this is a biased opinion because I love STI's too.

Thanks,
SilverMR

Last edited by SilverMr; May 18, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:52 PM

i came from wrx to evo.
most of sti or wrx owners are cool.
but i haven't seen the same from evo owners tho.
maybe it's because where i live? cali drivers are so not cool.
Old May 18, 2005, 08:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
STi is a nice looking car and the 300 hp figure is a beautiful thing. But after looking at an Evo for all around performance and styling, my heart has been claimed. June, I get my Evo and I wouldn't have it any other way,
Old May 18, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

i looked at both and i probably would have been happy with either one really. but i think i'm happier with the Evo!!!

things that went into my decision:

read all the reviews and stuff that gave the Evo the edge over the STi.

i got a ride in a STi and was very impressed with the acceleration and the interior. thought the suspension felt stiffer than i might want to deal with on a daily basis though. didn't like the fact that the engine was different from what they had in japan. also started reading about more engine/tuning problems on the net. seemed like there weren't a whole bunch of parts developed for it at the time and seemed like it was pricey to get more HP out of them.

knew that the 4g63 had been around forever and the USDM Evo motor was basically the same as what the rest of the world got. knew that there was a wealth of experience with the motor and that mods were well developed and much cheaper than the STi stuff i had seen and what i was used to with the S4. and then fate had me bail on going snowboarding one weekend, found myself at the Mitsu dealer, brand new MRs had just arrived, and i got to test drive one. the test drive made the decision easy for me. yea, the interior looked cheap, but the seats and the suspension felt much better to me and the way the steering and acceleration felt (even when babying it) was incredible. plus 6-speed, ACD, HIDs, graphite grey, BBS rims.....owned one a few hours later!
Old May 18, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
When you need a beater car to use while you are working on your evo it cant be beat
hahahaha, that's great.

i have nothing against the sti. i've just always been into dsm's so that is the main reason. both are great cars.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

i like both cars, but i like the looks of the evo better
Old May 18, 2005, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

I do like the STIs but the main reason I chose the Evo is for the engine. I know the 4G63 like the back of my hand and its very easy to mod. My friend has an STI and he dreads everytime he has to work on it because of the engine design. I really like the gauges in the STI over the evo. Ours seem like they should be in an economy car and the STI gauges seem like ones from a 30k car. There are a few other things I like better on the STIs but over all I like the evos better so I am happy.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had to make the decision...and now i have an Evo, the only bby evo in my city (almost positive) and i will never regret my choice.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Honestly - the subaru whip I really like is the legacy GT - thatcar has mad potential

You guys should see the Legacy Wagon that Topspeed in atlanta is doing

My thought is IF your going to have a soft car why not take it to the next level and have a bmw like awd turbo car ?
You are so right.... The Legacy is a very nice car. I like way more than the STI. I really never tought the STI could hang with the EVO. I seen by my house a guy with a white Legacy 2005, tinted windows and black rims. WOW.... very nice, but then I looked at my car and I had to use the towel because I wet my pants again. Even after having the car for 8 months.... I still get hard..... Thank You Japan for the EVO....
Old May 18, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrxIIevo
i came from wrx to evo.
most of sti or wrx owners are cool.
but i haven't seen the same from evo owners tho.
maybe it's because where i live? cali drivers are so not cool.
so your saying sti/wrx drivers in cali are cool, but evo drivers in cali are not???
Old May 18, 2005, 09:37 PM
Account Disabled

How about a awd gallant with an evo motor ? Oh wait - they already did that like 10 years ago !
Old May 18, 2005, 09:39 PM

I didn't even know anything about the Evo or WRX, untill I caught a WRC race on TV, it must of been 3 or 4 years ago. That's when I first saw a commercial for the WRX. That car really caught my attention, and I started reading up on the car, and when they became available in the US, I was seriously considering buying one. That's when I found out there was talk about bringing the Evo here. The first time I glanced at a picture of the Evo, I completely forgot all about Subaru. All I needed to hold off buying the Subaru was the rumor of Mitsubishi bringing the Evo here. Even though Subaru countered this decision with the announcement of the STi, I never even gave it a second thought. Everything about the Evo says F-you to every other car that has ever graced the streets in this country. There isn't a single thing put in that car which doesn't contribute directly to the performance of the vehicle ( except the air conditioning and stereo). I don't even have the sun roof in my Evo, because I consider it an unecessary waste. I'm so happy that my car isn't cluttered with useless crap like video touch screens, navi systems, climate controls etc. Just give me exactly what I need to drive it the way it was meant to be driven and nothing else. Don't get my wrong the STi is a great car and makes for a fantastic second choice. I knew there was no point even thinking about getting an STi, because if I had I would have always wondered what I missed out on by not getting the Evo. Now I have the Evo, and I don't ever wonder what it must be like to have the STi. I just know now that for the first time in my life I have a car which keeps me from thinking about other cars. I don't even read car magazines anymore unless they have articles on the Evo, becuase I just don't care about other cars.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

my wife said i can't get a car that has a tumor (AKA hood scoop)
Old May 19, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if anything was to happen to my EVO... i would get a crystal grey mettalic STI...
Old May 19, 2005, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

I almost bought an '02 WRX, but I held off waiting until the STi arrived. As time progressed over the winter '02/'03, I started getting more information (EvoM) about the EVO coming. After seeing the redesigned front of the '03 WRXs, that gave the EVO an advantage in the looks department. It was still a tossup.

It came down to 2 things:
-the EVO arrived at dealership 2 months before the STI did
-the EVO had more room in the backseat for my family

Quick Reply: EVO owners opinion of the STi.