Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO owners opinion of the STi.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practical reasons for the Evo

I test drove both an had deals working on both an 05 Evo and 05 Sti.

The up side of the Sti:
- easier to get where I live
- love the blue color
- extra HP
- nicer gauges and interior

The up side of the Evo:
- much better gearbox, the Sti felt too notchy
- more back seat legroom, good for family
- better rims (I don't like the stock gold Sti rims)
- better handling
- less expensive
- insurance was $40/mo less for Evo vs. Sti
- better exterior looks (no bird catcher hood scoop)

If the Evo deal had fallen through, I would have bought the Sti. I love both cars.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:14 AM

Forged internals on the STi.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just talked to my friend with an STi the other day and low and behold he found out the 05's were detuned slightly to remove some reports of detonation. This was after he was searching for a reason that his car was only pulling 13.2 @ 101 versus my 13.0 @ 105 runs at the strip, both bone stock despite his excellent driving. Honestly HP from the factory is very close but likely he is in the 280-290 HP range where as the 05 Evos seem to be closer to the 300-310 HP range, atleast between our test runs. Now if we were talking about an 04 STi then it would likely be at 300 HP and an 03/04 Evo would be around 280 HP but it seems that the stock HP levels may have changed in '05.

In the end both cars are great, and you'll find these similar comparisons if you do a search over and over again.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I Like The Sti But I Feel Like All The Engineering That The Evo's Engine Has The Sti's Doesn't. I Mean For Example, The Intercooler. U Dont Have To Be An Engineer To Figure Out That A Hood Scoop Is Not The Most Efficent Way To Get Air, Not Only That But They Put It On Top Of The Engine. U Dont See Manufactures Putting Radiators On Top Of Engines Do U? If U Were To Do A Fluid Dynamics Test On The Hood Scoop U Would See That It Really Is Useless. On The U Side , It Looks Bad ***. I Love The Gold Bbs Forged Wheels, The Seats Need More Bolsters, I Like The Bodystyle But It Is Really Expensive. Great Car But I Would Choose And Evo Viii Over Anyday.

Now What I Would Change About My Evo Is The Clutch. Its Hard To Engage And Not Only That But When Its Cold Its Really Hard To Engage. I Have Had A Sports Clutch In A Turbo Car B4 And It Was Nothing Like The One In The Evo. I Personaly Would Have Liked To See The Battery On The Other Side Of The Engine So Its Not So Cramped. And The Thing I Hate About The Car The Most Is All The Damn Plastic Fasteners On The Car That Are So Damn Hard To Get Off. I Mean Thats Just Rediculous. Other Then That I Love My Evo . Great Power, Little Turbo Lag But I Call That Foreplay, And Great Handleing. O And The Gas Mileage Sucks But I Guess Thats A Small Price To Pay For Over 310 Crank Hp.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly if the STI was released before the EVO......I think I would have purchased the sti instead.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
When you need a beater car to use while you are working on your evo it cant be beat
LOL, nice Al!!!!
Old May 19, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I just talked to my friend with an STi the other day and low and behold he found out the 05's were detuned slightly to remove some reports of detonation. This was after he was searching for a reason that his car was only pulling 13.2 @ 101 versus my 13.0 @ 105 runs at the strip, both bone stock despite his excellent driving. Honestly HP from the factory is very close but likely he is in the 280-290 HP range where as the 05 Evos seem to be closer to the 300-310 HP range, atleast between our test runs. Now if we were talking about an 04 STi then it would likely be at 300 HP and an 03/04 Evo would be around 280 HP but it seems that the stock HP levels may have changed in '05.

In the end both cars are great, and you'll find these similar comparisons if you do a search over and over again.
Man, excellent driving by your friend, but I agree that the 05 Evo seems to have more power than anticipated. We keep proving it each time we report our stock or near-stock mph.
Old May 19, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STi = great car. Ended up with the Evo cause I got a good deal and I'm happy with it. But I love both cars. I'd be extremely happy with either one. No other cars would have done it for me for the price value.
Old May 19, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

STOCK TO STOCK is a drag race battle. Around a Track STI might be trailing a little bit. I like the cars they look good too me they SOUND GORGEOUS! Just not 2 happy about the numbers and the weak engine.
Old May 19, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
I was just wondering what you all think of the STi, did you consider one? Why do you like and what don't you? Why did you end up with an EVO?
If there was no Evo, I would be driving one right now.
Old May 19, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
+1
Old May 19, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I LOVE the STi but I love my Evo more
If I ever came across some more $$$ or had extra $$$ Id definitely buy and STi and mod it too
I love both cars...I dont hate on the STi and I respect its potential and as a car
hopefully one day Ill get to own both
Old May 19, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Three things:
1. I like the evos looks a lot better. Big thumbs down to the hood scoop.
2. Recaros on the evo just supported my 180 lb body better. It seemed like I was sliding a little on the STi seats.
3. Pin-point steering on the evo
Old May 19, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

The STi is awesome, I just like the EVO better.
Old May 19, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
+2. Great car, but it's still a close second to my Evo.

Quick Reply: EVO owners opinion of the STi.