Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO owners opinion of the STi.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Honestly - the subaru whip I really like is the legacy GT - thatcar has mad potential

You guys should see the Legacy Wagon that Topspeed in atlanta is doing

My thought is IF your going to have a soft car why not take it to the next level and have a bmw like awd turbo car ?

I completely agree!

the new Legacy is the only subie I lust after.

Percy
Old May 19, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I took over on payments for my dad's 04 STI and as a favor to him I traded my recently wrecked and fixed 03 evo for him to get a new 05 MR. I've had the STI for 4 months now and I'm used to it. I personally still like the evo better as a pure performance car and the mod potential is way superior on the evo with stock internals and suspension, also alot cheaper. But the STI also has it's perks IMHO. The STI is more solid and very durable. You have no issues with the steering wheel constantly shaking beacuse of allignment problems or under heavy braking at high speeds like I habitually had on my evo, only to be ridiculled by the dealer and told it's "normal". I will have to give the quality edge to the Suby, I think after 5 years this will become appearant, specially with resale value. Also the dealer service is much better. Subaru actually stands behind the quality of their product and it seems that they are actually interested in keeping their customers. I toasted my clutch at the track (through fault of my own) and it started slipping shifting into 6th gear. I called the dealer and took it in and they fixed it under warranty without asking any questions, they even gave me a loaner Forester for the day and I'm 27 and my car has 20k miles. The night my clutch started slipping I was all stressed out and looking for the best deal on the Subau forums, but the dealer treated me with respect unlike Mitsu. I think it's also a better every day highway car. It's much more comfortable and refined in a straight line on the highway. You can also feel the power advantage at higher speeds, there's no turbo lag at all. Infact, the only evidence of FI is a slight whine under boost. I've raced my dad's MR from a roll to 130 and the STI always wins by half a car or slightly more in stock form. I also got a best time of 13.3 in the 1/4 and all I could manage with my old evo was 13.7, this being at a slow Seguin Texas track where some stock evo's can't even get into the 13's when it's hot.
Back to the quality. The sti doesn't shake and rattle like my evo did at 30k miles, it's still like new at 20k, and the AC is also alot better. So basically those are the things in which the sti is better. Everything else, like the seats, power potential, the suspenion and most importantly, performance, is better on the evo IMO.
When I first got my STI I hated the suspension and feel of the car which sucked compared to the evo. Also the torque steer is awfull when shifting gears or playing with the gas pedal when you are turnig at high speeds, which is due to the engine design. At first I wanted to pay of the sti and get an 05 RS as soon as possible. But I've come to appreciate the superior quality and comfort the suby offers in stock warrantied form so I've wisely decided to pay of the sti quickly and get a used 04 Z06 and keep the sti as a daily driver in stock form as a family car with *****. My decision is mainly due to the Mitsu customer service. I can't reward them and get another evo until they improve their business practices. I would really like to have a Buschur 500hp RS race car and have a little truck as a beater, which was my original plan, but Subaru's superior quality and customer service has taken me to the dark side for now.
Old May 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Argh! Just finished test drive #2 for the STI. We went about 7 miles and I had to shift 6523753124 times. I think the exterior of this car is the cat's meow. The interior is upscale and very nice (remember this is all relative). Evo test drive 2 is tomorrow (wish I could do it back to back). The truth is I really wanted to want the STI. But those damn Evo Recaros, tight shifter feel (as opposed to the STI's sloppy second six speed), and razor handling are still dancing in my brain. I think the STI has more "little things that count" than the Evo (wicked cool gauges, programmable shift light, DCCD). Evo looks hotter in person than in pics and SSL is a spot on addition (call me soft). My friend said the Evo looks like a Focus with a body kit. I peed in his coffee. Maybe I'll wait for Subaru and Mitsubishi to merge and buy the EvoluSTI.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

The STi is sweet, but the Evo has the 4G63...'nuff said...
Old May 19, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Good and honest review. Basically sums up what we knew all along. STi= better daily driver, better interior (except the seats and steering wheel), better customer service). Evo=better all-around performance, questionable customer service.

Originally Posted by bolio
I took over on payments for my dad's 04 STI and as a favor to him I traded my recently wrecked and fixed 03 evo for him to get a new 05 MR. I've had the STI for 4 months now and I'm used to it. I personally still like the evo better as a pure performance car and the mod potential is way superior on the evo with stock internals and suspension, also alot cheaper. But the STI also has it's perks IMHO. The STI is more solid and very durable. You have no issues with the steering wheel constantly shaking beacuse of allignment problems or under heavy braking at high speeds like I habitually had on my evo, only to be ridiculled by the dealer and told it's "normal". I will have to give the quality edge to the Suby, I think after 5 years this will become appearant, specially with resale value. Also the dealer service is much better. Subaru actually stands behind the quality of their product and it seems that they are actually interested in keeping their customers. I toasted my clutch at the track (through fault of my own) and it started slipping shifting into 6th gear. I called the dealer and took it in and they fixed it under warranty without asking any questions, they even gave me a loaner Forester for the day and I'm 27 and my car has 20k miles. The night my clutch started slipping I was all stressed out and looking for the best deal on the Subau forums, but the dealer treated me with respect unlike Mitsu. I think it's also a better every day highway car. It's much more comfortable and refined in a straight line on the highway. You can also feel the power advantage at higher speeds, there's no turbo lag at all. Infact, the only evidence of FI is a slight whine under boost. I've raced my dad's MR from a roll to 130 and the STI always wins by half a car or slightly more in stock form. I also got a best time of 13.3 in the 1/4 and all I could manage with my old evo was 13.7, this being at a slow Seguin Texas track where some stock evo's can't even get into the 13's when it's hot.
Back to the quality. The sti doesn't shake and rattle like my evo did at 30k miles, it's still like new at 20k, and the AC is also alot better. So basically those are the things in which the sti is better. Everything else, like the seats, power potential, the suspenion and most importantly, performance, is better on the evo IMO.
When I first got my STI I hated the suspension and feel of the car which sucked compared to the evo. Also the torque steer is awfull when shifting gears or playing with the gas pedal when you are turnig at high speeds, which is due to the engine design. At first I wanted to pay of the sti and get an 05 RS as soon as possible. But I've come to appreciate the superior quality and comfort the suby offers in stock warrantied form so I've wisely decided to pay of the sti quickly and get a used 04 Z06 and keep the sti as a daily driver in stock form as a family car with *****. My decision is mainly due to the Mitsu customer service. I can't reward them and get another evo until they improve their business practices. I would really like to have a Buschur 500hp RS race car and have a little truck as a beater, which was my original plan, but Subaru's superior quality and customer service has taken me to the dark side for now.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolio
Best statement in the thread. And for the people complaining about the seats, just get some recaros because the money you will eventually have to spend on the evo's clutch will cover those.

Sti for a daily driver and Evo for a pure race car IMOP.
Old May 19, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
I Like The Sti But I Feel Like All The Engineering That The Evo's Engine Has The Sti's Doesn't. I Mean For Example, The Intercooler. U Dont Have To Be An Engineer To Figure Out That A Hood Scoop Is Not The Most Efficent Way To Get Air, Not Only That But They Put It On Top Of The Engine. U Dont See Manufactures Putting Radiators On Top Of Engines Do U? If U Were To Do A Fluid Dynamics Test On The Hood Scoop U Would See That It Really Is Useless. On The U Side , It Looks Bad ***. I Love The Gold Bbs Forged Wheels, The Seats Need More Bolsters, I Like The Bodystyle But It Is Really Expensive. Great Car But I Would Choose And Evo Viii Over Anyday.

Now What I Would Change About My Evo Is The Clutch. Its Hard To Engage And Not Only That But When Its Cold Its Really Hard To Engage. I Have Had A Sports Clutch In A Turbo Car B4 And It Was Nothing Like The One In The Evo. I Personaly Would Have Liked To See The Battery On The Other Side Of The Engine So Its Not So Cramped. And The Thing I Hate About The Car The Most Is All The Damn Plastic Fasteners On The Car That Are So Damn Hard To Get Off. I Mean Thats Just Rediculous. Other Then That I Love My Evo . Great Power, Little Turbo Lag But I Call That Foreplay, And Great Handleing. O And The Gas Mileage Sucks But I Guess Thats A Small Price To Pay For Over 310 Crank Hp.
The intercooler is up top because of the location of the turbo.
Old May 19, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Having driven both I have to say that performance wise its a drivers race .... both cars are very similar in performance .... but I do envy the low end torque of the STi, tighter turning radius, interior, cruise control and programmable shifter in the STi .....
Oh yeah and this topic has been covered many times before ... Just had to throw that in ...
Old May 19, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i like the STI a friend also let me drive his and i let him drive my Evo, i must say if i wouldnt have gotten my evo i would have got an STI..
Old May 19, 2005, 04:31 PM

both are greats car, just have to decide which one I want. i love the EVO for the potential and aftermarket support, but I am a former subaru owner and have lusted over the STi since i knew about it.

now to sell my 330Ci.
Old May 19, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hooptie157
Best statement in the thread. And for the people complaining about the seats, just get some recaros because the money you will eventually have to spend on the evo's clutch will cover those.

Sti for a daily driver and Evo for a pure race car IMOP.
Your Evo had a lot of transfercase problems, right? Wasn't your car on MTV?
Old May 19, 2005, 08:51 PM

Sorry but first of all I have to give the Thumbs Down to Al aka DynoFlash- leave your retarded comments out, you're a vendor try and act like one. PS don't forget where you came from - you used to build and throw in as much money as you did your Evo as you did your - what did you call them? Slowbaru's? Funny you didn't it call it then when you were modding it did you? get off the bangwagon!!!
Second Being an STI Owner - I love the Evo and STI both -
I bought the STI due to a heafty commute and wanted a nicer interior and smoother ride -
if I didnt drive sooo much I would have bought the EVO. A friend has one at work and it's an amazing vehicle. Both cars deserve thumbs up- Best bang and performance in the world and plus the least amount of money for up keep as well. Whatever you choose remember this

STI= nicer interior, nicer gauges, DCCD, better daily driver first then track car
EVO= Recaro's mmmmm, 10yr old motor, 5 yr 100k mile warranty, track car first - daily driver second
Old May 19, 2005, 09:19 PM

the dealer I bought the evo from had STIs also I got to test both
STI better power.
Evo better handling. it made the STI feel like a 70's pickup truck
I can build more power into a car but fine tunning a suspension is something of an art and one i don't seem to have the gift for it. so I bought the evo.
Old May 19, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmsti
STI= nicer interior, nicer gauges, DCCD, better daily driver first then track car
EVO= Recaro's mmmmm, 10yr old motor, 5 yr 100k mile warranty, track car first - daily driver second
I don't disagree; I just want to clarify a few tidbits.

STI=yes on these...the MR shortens the gap on daily driving comfort
EVO=15+ yr old motor, 5yr/60k warranty (10yr/100k limited)
Old May 19, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by egon726
STI better power.
This changed in 05, luckily.