Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO owners opinion of the STi.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO owners opinion of the STi.

I was just wondering what you all think of the STi, did you consider one? Why do you like and what don't you? Why did you end up with an EVO?
Old May 18, 2005, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

When you need a beater car to use while you are working on your evo it cant be beat
Old May 18, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

You are like ronitlancer...
Old May 18, 2005, 07:22 PM

I love my Evo, but me likey the Sti..hehe
Old May 18, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The STI is alright I guess, but I didn’t consider buying one. I was always hooked on the EVO. I do like the factory console on the STI though (nice and bright when on, completely hidden when off), and the fact that you can change the launch rev limiter on the fly with a spin of the trip meter reset.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

both great cars. just decided to get an evo
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
I was just wondering what you all think of the STi, did you consider one? Why do you like and what don't you? Why did you end up with an EVO?
I've been a fan of the STi and the Evo for over 10 years, with neither being my favorite...maybe a slight lean to the STi, since I loved the look of the coupe. When the WRX was released, I was highly disappointed in how weak and ugly it was. Then the Evo came out, and it was much better than the WRX, but it was still ugly, imo. Next was the STi, which despite being heinously ugly, it had the "look" of a serious rally car, so I was very interested. I was also happy with the 300hp estimate.

At this point, I had just gotten rid of my last DSM (RIP) and was ready to go back to my AWD TURBO4 roots while getting rid of my IS300. I could have gotten an STi, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked the idea of trying to work on the boxer engine. I decided to hold off, and that's when I found about not only the 05 Evo changes, but the fact that an MR version was being released. Now that I have my MR, I couldn't be happier, and since I know the 4g63t quite well, it is easy to not only mod, but drive as well. The Evo is much easier to mod safely, and it gets much better gains with less money. This makes the Evo more appealing in my opinion, but the STi is still a great car.
Evolved Member

its a perfect daily driver.. even the owners themselves say so.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:25 PM

Several of my friends have STi's. They are nice and I respect them. But I got the Evo because it was different and I liked the way it looked better. (And it makes my friends jealous they didn't get an Evo instead!)

Seriously, most of the STi owners I meet are great. I get a thumbs up almost all the time. I wish I could meet more cool Evo owners...
Old May 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

there is somthing about the front end of an sti to me that needs somthing, like a front lip. the spoiler sucks compared to the evo's, it doesn't come with sun roof(i am pretty sure), the seats in the car look ok but are not stiff enough for me,

i do like the stock rims and the rubbers that they are rapped with,
i mean the sti is a nice car but i am an evo fan and allways will be one, if for some reason i could not ever beable to get an evo, other tahn crying, i would get an sti.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

Honestly - the subaru whip I really like is the legacy GT - thatcar has mad potential

You guys should see the Legacy Wagon that Topspeed in atlanta is doing

My thought is IF your going to have a soft car why not take it to the next level and have a bmw like awd turbo car ?
Old May 18, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't care for the STi's looks - never have of most any Subaru - the new Forrester's getting there. That and the handling of the Evo's phenomenal by comparison and I love to autocross when I can.

No brainer ...

I took a comparo article in some magazine to my wife, who doesn't care about cars, and I told her "There are two cars left on earth...", and I showed her pictures. "... pick one." And she picked the Evo ... *Laugh*
Old May 18, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

I personally think the STi is a car to be appreciated for what it is in stock form, I know it doesn't handle quite like the EVO but unless your AutoX'ing it, every day agressive driving I wouldn't think you could tell too much, it has a 6 speed, love the seats and the dash layout is nice, I like the interior more than the EVO but I think the EVO has a more agressive look, the STi however has better off boost power... I like both, I have been on an STi kick as of lately, another reason is it seems the Subaru dealers around here have great service, they treated me like a person when I test drove the STi, thats right I test drove one because they let me... Mitsu are test drive ***** when it comes to the EVO's.

I understand if they let everyone drive them they would have miles on the ticker but I personally think the salesperson should use there judgement on each individual and there sincerity... I have driven an STi, ridden in a 400whp MR, I got a better feel for the STi and I think it has a cleaner look to it. Something nice to have with minor mods, I think EVO's are bigger plan cars possibly.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
I personally think the STi is a car to be appreciated for what it is in stock form, I know it doesn't handle quite like the EVO but unless your AutoX'ing it, every day agressive driving I wouldn't think you could tell too much, it has a 6 speed, love the seats and the dash layout is nice, I like the interior more than the EVO but I think the EVO has a more agressive look, the STi however has better off boost power... I like both, I have been on an STi kick as of lately, another reason is it seems the Subaru dealers around here have great service, they treated me like a person when I test drove the STi, thats right I test drove one because they let me... Mitsu are test drive ***** when it comes to the EVO's.

I understand if they let everyone drive them they would have miles on the ticker but I personally think the salesperson should use there judgement on each individual and there sincerity... I have driven an STi, ridden in a 400whp MR, I got a better feel for the STi and I think it has a cleaner look to it. Something nice to have with minor mods, I think EVO's are bigger plan cars possibly.
Do what's best for you. You can't wrong with either car.

Just don't harp on the test drive thing. I would not have bought my MR if it was test driven even once. Since the Subi dealer let you drive an STi, does that mean you wouldn't mind buying one from their lot that had been test driven 10-20 times? Plus, you can't even get into the boost without violating the break-in requirements, so what's the point anyway? When I test drove my MR right before buying it, it was pretty boring...I wasn't able to do anything, so I had no idea how the car really felt. All I got from the drive was how well the 6spd shifted and how the seats felt.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
When you need a beater car to use while you are working on your evo it cant be beat

Quick Reply: EVO owners opinion of the STi.