Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Preparation for Evo -- Proper way of learning a stickshift

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The basics of stick shift can be mastered in half an hour by anyone with just a little common sense and access to a large parking lot. Just don't try it on the street when you're starting out. There are way more things to distract your attention when you're learning stick, you don't want other traffic to add to the confusion.

Personally, I highly recommend learning on a relatively late-model vehicle that has a hydraulic clutch. They are far easier to operate and far more forgiving that the old cable clutch cars. Also, get something that doesn't have an overwhelming amount of power, you want to master the clutch, not the gas pedal
Old May 19, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Interweb? I love it man! Buy the evo, give it to me, you take my RA and have at it! Deal?

Its pretty simple actually. The first thing i tell ppl when im teaching them stick is to put it in gear and gently/slowly begin to release the clutch and listen to the motor and watch the rpm guage. When you see the rpm's start to feather down and you hear the motor start to pull a little. That is your "sweet spot". From the sweet spot you gently apply gas as you continue to release the clutch and you should have it. Always remember, when shiftin fully release gas FIRST. I know that sounds like a really dumb tip and your probly sayin, "No s**t shirlock" but ive taught 10+ ppl stick and thats usually one of the big things they miss. Anyways, have fun bro, dont crash the evo, or else your place in hell is well reserved ;D
Old May 19, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

you will not be able to find a rental car that is manual. liability.

remember 4wd = tremendous grip = energy goes -> clutch.
don't 'give it gas, let out clutch'
don't rock the car back n forth with gas and clutch
don't hold car uphill with clutch
don't rest your hand on the stickshift when not shifting. It's a powerful lever and you will wear your synchros doing so
Old May 19, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, this actually helps me some too since I am about to buy a 5spd car this weekend. My gf and my parents have been trying to teach me recently, but the main point is practice, practice, practice. My mom used to teach driver's ed so she knows what she's talkin about. My gf and mom both have a manual car but since I'm at school I hardly ever get to drive them which means re-learning every 2 weeks which is hell. Just get a car and drive the hell out of it so you can get it down. I hope I do soon because it pisses me off that I ever got a auto in the first place.
Old May 19, 2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I hope I wouldn't crash my evo, I've driven an auto with 500rwhp but of course, it was an auto. I imagine a 5 speed evo thats awd will be a whole other beast, but I imagine I will be fine, Thanks.