Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO, STi clutches.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO, STi clutches.

I have been comparing the EVO and STi for a long time now, they both have pros and cons... I have decided that it will be an "at the time" purchase, and it will come down to the little things because I can't go wrong with either car. My biggest concern with the cars is the clutch, I plan on finding an unabused unmolested EVO or STi that had a good previous owner, one with low miles. I was wondering about the clutch on the two, is one more durable then the other? Will I get more stock life out of an STi clutch? Is one easier to work on than the other? I know they are both pretty weak but in opinion of experience, friends that have STi's etc etc what do you think?
Old May 19, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

all i kno is its stiffer... ours feel more softer, and the sti clutch grabs faster... meaning the car starts rolling when the clutch is barely released, but on the evo u have more room to play then the car starts moving
Old May 19, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Clutches in general will go bad IF you constantly abuse them...

I have heard guys on here with 20k miles on their stock clutch. so its a matter of personal preference.. as far as Evo vs STi , in the mods department.. the EVO will be more forgiving ..

Again its just a matter of preferece... This is an EVO Website therefor most guys will tell you hands down an evo over an sti...
Go post that question on a Subaru website, and again same results .. they will swear by Subaru vs a piece of crap EVO (as most would say)..

I love them both.... Have them both !!!! good luck ...

Maybe do some searches on the items in question.. maybe that will minimize time and your search for your PERFECT car between the two
Old May 19, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The STi has a stronger clutch which can take more abuse than the EVO clutch. But if you abuse either they will die early ... Both cars are very comparable making it a drivers race ...
Old May 19, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

if you're keeping them stock STi will have a better clutch, but if you are going to mod either it should be a non-issue. Get the ACT street clutch, I have it and never realised how amazingly drivable it is for it's holding power and durability after driving and evo with an Exeddy stg 2 clutch.
Old May 19, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

the sti has a much better clutch that can take more abuse and repeated trips to the drag strip than the evo. i have a friend with a modded sti and he takes his sti to the track almost every chance he gets and does the autocross thing too. his clutch was just recently replaced a couple of months ago with another one from subaru(warranty). mind you he bought the car new when they came out so it has had a lot of abuse. but what pisses me off is that if i were to go into mitsu with a upgraded turbo, full exhaust, etc, etc, i know for a fact i wouldn't get a new one under warranty. i think subaru is better with warranties than mitsu.
Old May 19, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

The stock clutch on the evo is pretty good until you start modding or launching. The more you do of each will decrease the life of it. I do believe that launching is probably worse than the modding. The more power you have though the more you have to slip the clutch to get street friendly driving characterstics.
Old May 19, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally opposite of what I think/feel. The STi is sooo much easier to drive than the Evo. The STi clutch is lighter and easier to work with. And the slightly larger displacement is great when the clutch grabs. You don't have to worry about the idle dying off in very slow speeds. I find I have to give my Evo alot more gas to get it going compared to when I drive my friends' STi's.

Originally Posted by turtlelancer
all i kno is its stiffer... ours feel more softer, and the sti clutch grabs faster... meaning the car starts rolling when the clutch is barely released, but on the evo u have more room to play then the car starts moving
Old May 19, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ive got 50+k on my evo clutch and 23+k on my STi clutch. The feel that the STi clutch is much better in my own mind and i feel much more confident in it. But the Evo clutch will hold its own.
Old May 19, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have over 22k on my stock clutch, still holding up!
Old May 19, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

how many threads can one person possible make in one day....jesus christ
Old May 19, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moab3man
how many threads can one person possible make in one day....jesus christ
Look at your own quote( ie... Drives: Not Enough ) .....

Not Enough ... lol
Old May 19, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

what does that have to do with anything
Old May 19, 2005, 04:06 PM

The one thing I don't like about the Evo clutch, is that there's basically no feeling to it. You don't really feel it enguage, which is why I think alot of people ultimately end up burning through it. In other cars that I have had, you can feel distinctly where the clutch grabs when you let it out. With the Evo you don't feel it. I've heard people mention putting in an aftermarket clutch line. I'm not sure if this helps or not if someone has done this with the stock clutch feel free to chime the F--- in.
Old May 19, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

It is not the clutch that is the problem. It is driving technique - some people just dont know how to accept it. They come from FWD/RWD cars and are using to dropping the clutch in all of the gears instead of having a smooth engagement throughout all the gears ...

With all the power shifting and improper stick driving it puts a wear on the syncros and clutch - so then they complain to Mitsu and the board - omg mitsu sucks - omg evo clutch sux. yet fail to realize it is there driving habbits ..

I know a few people who have 30k on there stock clutch .. with no problems - and are modded .. I personally are @ 23k with mods and stock clutch and works great still with 40+ launches ... *shrug*

Quick Reply: EVO, STi clutches.