Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cold Air Box install

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Cold Air Box install

I just finished my Buschur Stage 2 Install plus a few tweaks and this 2005 Evo 8 has transformed itself from stock to a solid low 12's car. Now to prove my seat of the pants feel at the dragstrip!

I spent last night cutting out the template for the Cold Air Box for my intake using cereal boxes and finished the job using leather stamped Aluminum. I was able to get a 4" Air duct leading from the front vent and squeaze it to the Buschur Airfilter and Dejon MAS pipe upgrades. To allow this I "adjusted" the bracket for the ACD fluid and pushed it rearward about 1" and then re-attached the reservior. Sharp edges were removed with sand paper and clearance came within 1/4" of the hood once the split vacuum line was put along the edges. For a little extra flow I decided to remove the gasket on the hood above the headlight to allow more airflow as well. Those running stock intakes may want to cut a hole in the gasket leading to the air intake to get some more direct flow going as well. Overall the intake sound got a little quieter over just having the filter open to the engine bay which was a relief since the sound was loud enough to take birds out of the air when the BOV went off! It seemed that people thought I was racing them when as little as 1 PSI was flowing through that setup...

So far it feels like the car has a little more power as today was relatively warm out. Intake temps at the MAS were less than 5F above ambient and seems to have helped bring cooler air to the engine improving response. Cold Air intakes that extend the length of the intake pipes can change throttle response for the worse if not designed correctly so I decided to bring the cold air to the filter. The only thing I may do is move the MAS inside the cold air box since it is still underhood and gets rather warm but atleast the air entering the filter is right around ambient. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Box install-4-air-duct.jpg   Cold Air Box install-before-cold-air-box.jpg   Cold Air Box install-4-air-duct-filter.jpg   Cold Air Box install-front-cai.jpg   Cold Air Box install-front-angle-cai.jpg  

Last edited by Hiboost; May 20, 2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

A few more Pictures including the relocation of the battery to the trunk to make room for the Buschur deluxe upper intercooler pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Box install-45-cai.jpg   Cold Air Box install-driver-side-cai.jpg   Cold Air Box install-passenger-side-cai.jpg   Cold Air Box install-battery-relocation-1.jpg   Cold Air Box install-battery-relocation-2.jpg  

Last edited by Hiboost; May 20, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I just finished my Buschur Stage 2 Install plus a few tweaks and this 2005 Evo 8 has transformed itself from stock to a solid low 12's car. Now to prove my seat of the pants feel at the dragstrip!

I spent last night cutting out the template for the Cold Air Box for my intake using cereal boxes and finished the job using leather stamped Aluminum. I was able to get a 4" Air duct leading from the front vent and squeaze it to the Buschur Airfilter and Dejon MAS pipe upgrades. Sharp edges were removed with sand paper and clearance came within 1/4" of the hood once the split vacuum line was put along the edges. For a little extra flow I decided to remove the gasket on the hood above the headlight to allow more airflow as well. Those running stock intakes may want to cut a hole in the gasket leading to the air intake to get some more flow going as well. Overall the intake sound got a little quieter over just having the filter open to the engine bay which was a relief since the sound was loud enough to take birds out of the air when the BOV went off. It seemed that people thought I was racing them when as little as 1 PSI was flowing through that setup!

So far it feels like the car has a little more power as today was relatively warm out. Intake temps at the MAS were less than 5F above ambient and seems to have helped bring cooler air to the engine improving response. Cold Air intakes that extend the length of the intake pipes can change throttle response for the worse if not designed correctly so I decided to bring the cold air to the filter. The only thing I may do is move the MAS inside the cold air box since it is still underhood and gets rather warm but atleast the air entering the filter is right around ambient. Let me know what you guys think.
Great stuff, Chris. I look forward to hearing your drag results, since I know you are a good driver and know how to thrash these things from your DSM days. We were pretty close in stock form, so now I'll see how hard I have to work to match you.
Old May 20, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice setup hiboost, can't wait to see how it improves your timeslip
Old May 20, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the heat shield slash air box I think you did a great job and I am sure people would buy it in a kit form for the templates. But as far as the hose thing l know it's practical but it looks rice on an Evo.
Good job though for being resourcefull.
Old May 21, 2005, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Great stuff, Chris. I look forward to hearing your drag results, since I know you are a good driver and know how to thrash these things from your DSM days. We were pretty close in stock form, so now I'll see how hard I have to work to match you.
nice setup hiboost, can't wait to see how it improves your timeslip
It will all come down to how hard I can push the clutch without melting it. If I have to settle for mid 12's @ 115 with mild launches it should hold me over until I replace the clutch next spring or so. Likely the SS clutch line eliminating the fluild restrictor should help the 5k stutter launches, as 8PSI off the line is going to be hard for it to hold.

As far as the heat shield slash air box I think you did a great job and I am sure people would buy it in a kit form for the templates. But as far as the hose thing l know it's practical but it looks rice on an Evo.
Good job though for being resourcefull.
Thanks for the good compliments.

As for "Rice" entering the picture... I tried to make it 100% functional and honestly I don't see how running black intake hose from the front bumper to the airfilter would be considered "practical" and "rice" on an Evo at the same time. I did shortcut taking the entire bumper off and had to use a right angle philips head screwdriver to even access that plastic piece in the bumper so it was a pain getting it in there and the stress ended up tearing the plastic. I thought about it for about 10 sec if I should remove the bumper to clean it up but a single zip tie saved the day. You can barely see the hose from the front unless you get down low and look for it, and it's very subtle behind the headlight where it enters the cold air box.

The only other options to get air to the engine were using the stock air diverter (decent, but no direct flow), cutting a hole in the hood (Rice hack), or leaving it open to all the hot underhood air (not as efficient). Trust me it's all performance the way I did it.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

I Love Ur Heatshield......not Even Single Vendors Out There Have One Like Yours!
Ur Intake Heatshield Looks Cool And I Bet Works Good Too!
I Was Looking For This In My Life For Evo9 Mr...........mass Produce 'em!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:26 AM

Thumbs up

Wow!!
Very nice, clean and tiddy fab work. I would buy one if you sold this as a kit. From the looks of it, you definitely did your homework with regards to the tin contours and placement of holes for surrounding hardware/wiring. Do you think your setup would work with stock location IC plumbing and a stock battery?
Again, very nice setup.
Patrick
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

WOW! nice work, clean
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

That looks really good!! Can you take a few pics of the hood closed and the box? I'm going to be doing the same thing with my intake soon, I'm concerned about rain/water getting through the vent and hitting the cone intake. Did you measure the intake air temps with Evoscan?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I Need Heatshiled That Fits On To Stock Ic Pipe And Battery
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

That came out great and looks clean!
Make a kit! ...Seriously. Make your hardwork of fitting everything pay off.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys realize you woke a 1 and a half yr old thread up?

Just pm the op and see if they are even still here.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newbie03evo
Do you guys realize you woke a 1 and a half yr old thread up?

Just pm the op and see if they are even still here.
lmao
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

awsome heatshield mate. its a very professional job...

I just ordered my Apexi power intake and box and i will also run a cold feed from the bumper. However probably i ll buy the following kit from pipercross. I want go but a lil bit of show is not bad...

Quick Reply: Cold Air Box install