Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fq-400 Whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's an ongoing arguement/discussion on the MLR that the MR FQ400 is a waste of money. now you can make 400hp out of any evo for about £5k over purchase price, but that's cutting corners. Motec, fuel pump, cams and that's about it. Now the FQ400 has all it's internals uprated, uprated turbo, motec, exhaust, manifold etc...

with simple remap, that car could be near 500bhp no problem, and still be reliable. Just not warranty reliable.
Old May 22, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

i heard its about 350 - 360 to the wheels !
Old May 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

I just needs a better tune It is so conservative and RICH. I bet a tuner could EASILLY squeeze out 420++++WHP and 500RPM's of spool outa that bad boy with noting more then cams an a tune. Don't forget how conservative it is on tuning. Throw out the MOTEC thingy and toss on an AEM EMS with a map sensor. It would REALLY help, probably needs larger injectors too and a BETTER fmic, it still untilizes the stock FMIC and stock CRAPPY IC pipes. That car needs just some better tuning, that's all.
Old May 22, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

to the people who say well If I put x amount oif dollars into my GSR I spank that FQ-400!...

Shut up

you'd still have a GSR and the FQ-400 would still be a limited Production with warranty Race car. And after your done with your GSR no one will buy it because you have changed so many factory parts and they are worried about reliability , while that FQ-400 is still a muthafkning FQ-400
Old May 22, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by umiami80
I just needs a better tune It is so conservative and RICH. I bet a tuner could EASILLY squeeze out 420++++WHP and 500RPM's of spool outa that bad boy with noting more then cams an a tune. Don't forget how conservative it is on tuning. Throw out the MOTEC thingy and toss on an AEM EMS with a map sensor. It would REALLY help, probably needs larger injectors too and a BETTER fmic, it still untilizes the stock FMIC and stock CRAPPY IC pipes. That car needs just some better tuning, that's all.
actually the MoTec is why it does so well. stock US evo's are making over 340whp on mustang dynos in south florida using just the motec & 93 pump gas. now lets be conservative & say a 25% loss on that same dyno, that would give us 425 crank hp. motec goes for about $4500 then you need it installed & tuned correctly so maybe another $500 in tuning. on a stock evo or MR you're still under $40k total spent & now your car is faster than the FQ...
Old May 22, 2005, 06:34 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, but there are certain things I would change on that FQ400.

On thing is the FMIC and piping

I would throw it on a dyno, see where my A/F's are at, I bet they are rich as hell, I also bet it could use some timing adjustments.

I bet a professional NON OEM tuner could wring out some seriosu whp, especially with adding like 280 cam shafts, they upgraded the cams but they are still not as agressive as 264's

I bet 450WHP on pump if done right, the turbo is big enough, remove the cat and put on a BIGGER DP for added spool, little things I bet you can add 500RPM of spoolup and damn near 100WHP extra, that's what I'd do.

FMIC
HKS 280's
Better DP, catless
retune
Old May 22, 2005, 11:40 PM

Throw out the MOTEC thingy and toss on an AEM EMS? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
A conservative tune is not just due to a lack of ability of the Motec ECU and to claim that a AEM EMS is better than a Motec is not comparing apples with apples. They are both very capable ECUs but the flexibilty and expandability of the Motec puts it way above the AEM.

A professional NON OEM tuner would definitely make more power outta the car given the parts already installed but that same tuner doesn't offer you a 3 yr warranty which makes it attractive, Mitsubishi's crappy dealer service aside.

Removing the cat would make the car fail emission testing for new cars. Now you are moving into the aftermarket, where anything goes and non-legal modifications are performed at the buyer's own risk. Not applicable to a factory backed car.

just needs a better tune It is so conservative and RICH. I bet a tuner could EASILLY squeeze out 420++++WHP and 500RPM's of spool outa that bad boy with noting more then cams an a tune. Don't forget how conservative it is on tuning. Throw out the MOTEC thingy and toss on an AEM EMS with a map sensor. It would REALLY help, probably needs larger injectors too and a BETTER fmic, it still untilizes the stock FMIC and stock CRAPPY IC pipes. That car needs just some better tuning, that's all.

I bet a professional NON OEM tuner could wring out some seriosu whp, especially with adding like 280 cam shafts, they upgraded the cams but they are still not as agressive as 264's

I bet 450WHP on pump if done right, the turbo is big enough, remove the cat and put on a BIGGER DP for added spool, little things I bet you can add 500RPM of spoolup and damn near 100WHP extra, that's what I'd do.

Last edited by BakZamGai; May 22, 2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 23, 2005, 06:13 AM
Account Disabled

Throw out the MOTEC thingy and toss on an AEM EMS? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
A conservative tune is not just due to a lack of ability of the Motec ECU and to claim that a AEM EMS is better than a Motec is not comparing apples with apples. They are both very capable ECUs but the flexibilty and expandability of the Motec puts it way above the AEM.

It is my preference, I understand the EMS< not the Motec unit. I also happen to like speed density but I think you can add it to the Motec unit.

A professional NON OEM tuner would definitely make more power outta the car given the parts already installed but that same tuner doesn't offer you a 3 yr warranty which makes it attractive, Mitsubishi's crappy dealer service aside.

You and I both know that there is no warranty on this car.

Removing the cat would make the car fail emission testing for new cars.
So??? It would also yeild much needed spoolup and more WHP and torque.
Old May 23, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys there is a reason that the FQ-400 is so expensive and so fast. they didnt just throw a huge turbo on it and call it a day. the whole thing is thoughout and engineered to be a fast, and great handleing car. i would put money on it that if u put a stage 1 vishnu kit on it, it will not be as fast as the FQ. there is more to the car than just big numbers.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:02 AM

The Motec can also run speed density and no extra part is needed. Just proper wiring.

Mitsubishi UK gives a 3 year warranty on the car and how well their warranty stands up to the test is not up to me to decide. But as with all 'factory' cars, they are conservatively tuned. Given the hardware that has gone into the engine, it should be turning out a whole lot more power but to keep the engine on the safe side, Mitsubishi has opted for a conversative tune.
As for their warranties, they've traditionally been lousy at giving warranty to dead drivetrain parts but I believe that there's not been many issues with blown engines which is probably what they are looking out for when tuning.

As a new 'factory-backed' car, it is required by law to pass emissions. Whether or not you care about emissions is one thing, but as a legal business entity, Mitsubishi UK is bound by the law to abide by these laws.

It is my preference, I understand the EMS< not the Motec unit. I also happen to like speed density but I think you can add it to the Motec unit.

You and I both know that there is no warranty on this car.

So??? It would also yeild much needed spoolup and more WHP and torque.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

The Motec is widely regarded as the best aftermarket ECU available, so I don't think changing that would be of an advantage. Also, the IC piping is stock, but on the FQ320, which is HKS hard piping anyway, so I doubt that would need upgrading either