Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why do you call it a "track"?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you call it a "track"?

/flamesuit on/

I must confess that there's something bothering me about this board. I'll see a heading and think that inside will be something about a race track, including good information about how an Evo has done in the twisty bits of a course (which is what I'm mostly interested in). Most of the time, the post is about a different kind of racing.

I've noticed that guys write "I went to the track" more often when they are talking about going to the drag strip.

Now, I admit I'm old, but when I think of a "track" I think of something with more than 2 turns.

What happened to the good old word "strip"? It has a lot of titillating uses that don't have anything to do with cars, I'll grant you, but it's a perfectly good word. Why is it not used any more? Do drag strips really have signs that say "South Podunk International Drag Track"?

There. Now that I've said that, let's talk about the word "rims". Naah, I'd better limit my liability.

/flamesuit off/
Old May 22, 2005, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

heh, i asked a guy i knew if he ever brought his vette to the track and he had no clue what i was talking about. given, yes, he isn't the brightest one, but once i said drag strip he knew what i meant.

sheesh, i need smarter friends! heh
Old May 22, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey..... getting people to go to any kind of a track rather than runnin on the streets is a step, a drag track (or strip ), or a road course.

Normally you'd see headings like "i ran at sebring" or "lapping day at XXX".
Old May 22, 2005, 06:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree.. Although I've done the drag strip thing, I haven't had the time (and I'm too far) to regularly do any real track racing, besides SCCA parking lot solo racing which I personally don't find all that interesting.

For me, the drag strip has always been for testing the tuning in my car.

I'd really like to do some of the hardcore track racing, but I always have this paranoia about eating up my brakes or tires and not having enough money or time to do the brakes/tires before I have to drive the car (its my daily driver) to work.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rburris28
/flamesuit on/

I must confess that there's something bothering me about this board. I'll see a heading and think that inside will be something about a race track, including good information about how an Evo has done in the twisty bits of a course (which is what I'm mostly interested in). Most of the time, the post is about a different kind of racing.

I've noticed that guys write "I went to the track" more often when they are talking about going to the drag strip.

Now, I admit I'm old, but when I think of a "track" I think of something with more than 2 turns.

What happened to the good old word "strip"? It has a lot of titillating uses that don't have anything to do with cars, I'll grant you, but it's a perfectly good word. Why is it not used any more? Do drag strips really have signs that say "South Podunk International Drag Track"?

There. Now that I've said that, let's talk about the word "rims". Naah, I'd better limit my liability.

/flamesuit off/

I hear ya, I am big fan of circuit racing. I already started spending all my money on it
Old May 22, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

I think it may have to do with the fact that most drag strips are located in a "racepark" that is a compilation of tracks.
I know the early style wheels were 2 or 3 pieces (depending on manufacturer) and bolted together. My dad had a pair of "chrome-reverse rims" in the garage for years. He showed and explained that they had offset centers and would unbolt them, send the 'rims' (the outside part that the tire is mounted on) out for chrome and bolt them back together backwards so the center was deeper than stock, hence "chrome-reverse rims". It also works with the even older spoked wheels.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, and I'd rather hear someone call their wheels "Rims" than "Shoes" any day.. AGHH! one of my peeves..
Old May 22, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

/flamesuit on/

/flamesuit off/
Ha Ha... funny that you say that. I'm an old guy too, and have been puzzled when I've told people that "i tracked my car" or went to the track, and they ask me what my 1/4 mile times are...
Old May 22, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Yeah, I have to agree.. Although I've done the drag strip thing, I haven't had the time (and I'm too far) to regularly do any real track racing, besides SCCA parking lot solo racing which I personally don't find all that interesting.

For me, the drag strip has always been for testing the tuning in my car.

I'd really like to do some of the hardcore track racing, but I always have this paranoia about eating up my brakes or tires and not having enough money or time to do the brakes/tires before I have to drive the car (its my daily driver) to work.
Bah! Run your winter tires on the track to learn and use inexpensive rotors with decent pads. I'm going to run said setup tomorrow ... we'll see how it goes

l8r)
Old May 22, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/flamesuit on/

Probably because for many of us, the only racing we've ever done or will ever do is at a drag strip. Since my first trip to a drag strip, it's always been referred to as a "track" by anyone I've talked to, and I never really thought twice about it. Road racing and/or autocrossing was not available anywhere that I knew of, nor would I have had any clue how to do that stuff, so the default "track" was always the drag strip. Also, I've never heard anyone say, "I'm heading to the strip," because that can mean many things, not the first of which would be a "drag strip." It's much easier to say "track" anyway, although after I do my first autocross next week, my tune may change...
Old May 22, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

i always say "the track" for all events i go to(drag strip,road course,auto-x) people always get confessed
Old May 22, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

1.cause the drag strip is at the track.
2.track sounds cooler than saying strip
3.saying strip , could mean many things...
Old May 22, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Probably because for many of us, the only racing we've ever done or will ever do is at a drag strip. Since my first trip to a drag strip, it's always been referred to as a "track" by anyone I've talked to, and I never really thought twice about it. Road racing and/or autocrossing was not available anywhere that I knew of, nor would I have had any clue how to do that stuff, so the default "track" was always the drag strip. Also, I've never heard anyone say, "I'm heading to the strip," because that can mean many things, not the first of which would be a "drag strip." It's much easier to say "track" anyway, although after I do my first autocross next week, my tune may change...

Point taken.

For the Autocross, two things:

1) Increase your air pressure by about 10 psi in each wheel
2) Brake hard and deep

You're about to have fun.
Old May 22, 2005, 03:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Track = closed course with turns
Strip = 1/8th or 1/4 mile drag race

I bothers me too, but I've given up on our future...
Old May 22, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Either term, "track" or "strip", is correct. The drag strip IS a track. Its basically whatever you prefer. But saying "drag strip" or "road course" is more specific. They are all tracks though.