Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who bought a used EVO from a dealership?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who bought a used EVO from a dealership?

I was wondering who bought a used EVO from a dealership. Is it a good or bad idea? I know that some dealers with VIII's may know every detail about the previous owner, when it was serviced etc etc because chances are they bought it and traded it in for a new one or something, or will have traded it in on a IX or something. I know it is going to be a bit more expensive but a dealer is also the easiest place to get one, if they don't have a used one in stock they could probobly find one pretty damn close to your criteria, I would probobly have them look for if they did not already have one, an extremely low mileage VIII, though it may be more expensive I could opt for an extended warrantee right?

For example, a local dealer has a 2003 VIII with 19k on it, in Apex Silver, they want WAY too much for it... $27,000+ but they also know where it came from... a guy they call Dr. EVO... that is what is license plate is, though expensive they knew every time the guy had it serviced, every problem etc etc and they have all service records for the car. He traded it in for an MR. I bet I could find a dealer withing a 5 hour radious that has a low (under 10k) VIII for say $27,000 or so. I am not going to be buying until next spring so the prices for the VIII's should drop because of the IX release. Is buying used from a dealer a bad idea? good idea?
Old May 23, 2005, 07:30 AM

purchased my 03 evo used

In early January I traded in my 03 RSX-S for an used 03 RR Evo with 7,700 that was $24,995. I just happened to be browsing the internet for used EVOs when I noticed one at a dealership my family had previously purchased 7 cars from. At that time I wasn't really planning on getting a new car, but I was amazed at how cheap they were selling it so I had to go check it out and I ended up leaving the dealership with it that day. The previous owner of my car traded the RR Evo for an MR. My car was the newest looking 03 car I had ever seen as the tires and everything were still in like new condition. The previous owner of my car was a pastor's son who worked at the church near their house so he had barely driven the car. Although, I did notice a hole inside the bottom of my armrest. I think he may have had a turbo timer or something that was wired to the armrest because there's a piece of velcro in there too.

This weekend my dealership sent me a letter asking me to participate in their buyback program because there's a demand for used 03 EVOs. In the letter they claimed that they would be willing to exchange my car for an 05 EVO and they would be willing to purchase at full or more value with incentives. Has anybody recieved a letter like that recently??
Old May 23, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cocomofo
In early January I traded in my 03 RSX-S for an used 03 RR Evo with 7,700 that was $24,995. I just happened to be browsing the internet for used EVOs when I noticed one at a dealership my family had previously purchased 7 cars from. At that time I wasn't really planning on getting a new car, but I was amazed at how cheap they were selling it so I had to go check it out and I ended up leaving the dealership with it that day. The previous owner of my car traded the RR Evo for an MR. My car was the newest looking 03 car I had ever seen as the tires and everything were still in like new condition. The previous owner of my car was a pastor's son who worked at the church near their house so he had barely driven the car. Although, I did notice a hole inside the bottom of my armrest. I think he may have had a turbo timer or something that was wired to the armrest because there's a piece of velcro in there too.

This weekend my dealership sent me a letter asking me to participate in their buyback program because there's a demand for used 03 EVOs. In the letter they claimed that they would be willing to exchange my car for an 05 EVO and they would be willing to purchase at full or more value with incentives. Has anybody recieved a letter like that recently??
In my opinion (and experience), dealerships generally aren't that eager to buy back used cars (the popularity of the Evo notwithstanding). Notifying customers that they are "short" quality used cars is a gimmick used by many dealerships to get people to trade their current vehicle for a new one. Granted, you may get a good price on your '03 and a decent price on an '05, but be a little cautious. They're just trying to get rid of their current inventory to make room for the new stuff.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Its just a ploy that dealerships use to get you in the door. I just received one from a Honda dealership that ive done business with in the past. There is nothing special about it.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Scam. Don't do it.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Ok lets not get off topic here.