Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm for me it doesn't really matter, i guess. I mean I know people are debating if it will be tolerable, maybe i just have a really high tolerance for things that they don't bother me in the first place, so i can't really see how this ride can be non enjoyable to drive.... Only thing that would bother me is that the bucket seats come with a fat prong hiting me in the ...A**. but that is about it.. .. I guess because everytime i drive i go thru canyons everywhere so it kind of makes it more fun, i avoid freeways. ..
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:39 PM
choad

Have you driven an Evo? Have you been to any training sessions?
MarkF....This was a serious question. You claim it will be an unrealistic driver, so I was merely asking if you had driven it! Sine you work at I figured this was a fair question..

If I had been to the sessions, why would I ask this question?

Personally, my gut feeling is that I don't think this car will be any firmer than most "sports tuned" suspensions..I can't imagine it being a whole mess harsher then my old M3, or my current GSR...

I guess we will just have to see?!

(BTW..I will be using the car to get to appointments, not dor to door or over the road sales...)
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

well i am going to be driving 40 mile to and from work and the weekend mountian drive

my drive to work r 15 mins of twisties and 25 mins of interstate...from what i have heard from u people is that i may be uncomfortable for the interstate but i think the twisties will be worth it...those r the first 15 mins in the morning and the last 15 on the way home
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber

MarkF....This was a serious question. You claim it will be an unrealistic driver, so I was merely asking if you had driven it! Sine you work at I figured this was a fair question..

If I had been to the sessions, why would I ask this question?

Then don't be such a smartass.

If you've got a 5-state sales route to drive, this is not the car for you. If you have a 20-minute daily commute, go to town.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not that bad. Most of this harsh ride talk comes from the British press. The English seem to like very softly sprung cars. Many of the British press think that the new M3 has a harsh ride also. I do not.

We all have our own limits as far as ride goes. It is firmly sprung but it is not “tuner” car stiff. It is a very serious sports car with a sports car ride. For me as a daily driver it is fine. If you think an ITR or an E46 M3 is stiff look elsewhere.

Erik
Old Feb 17, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to use mine as a daily driver until I learned that 15" or 16" wheels won't fit. I need to drive in snow for half the year. 17" by 235mm snow tires suck. I don't care what kind they are.
If you include pot hole season as winter, I will only drive this car 3 months a year. I guess I will keep my 2 quattros too. I must be insane.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:13 PM

Would a harsh ride be the only consideration for a daily driver? What about reliability, maintance, and gas mileage? I'm assuming that these aren't concerns for an EVO8. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that anything with 271hp is not going to be economical to drive, but is there anything that anyone with zero experience with should be concered about?

I personally am a huge fan of performance awd cars and want an EVO8 for a daily driver. My 93 RX-7 with 400rwhp only gets driven under ideal conditions and will never be a daily driver, for the obvious reasons - very bad gas milage, poor wet weather traction, and the reliability you would expect of a highly modified car. Can I assume that these would not be concerns with the EVO8. It must get better milage than a rotary with even 271hp.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:22 PM

i have the same question as 4wdrift, about the reliability,maintance and daily driver. I want a EVO but since i don't know next to nothing about cars, i was wonder if u ppl would reccomend it to some like me.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by skibum
I was going to use mine as a daily driver until I learned that 15" or 16" wheels won't fit. I need to drive in snow for half the year. 17" by 235mm snow tires suck. I don't care what kind they are.
If you include pot hole season as winter, I will only drive this car 3 months a year. I guess I will keep my 2 quattros too. I must be insane.
I think it'll be ok. I use 17" Michelin Pilot Alpins here in Co. Drive in the snow on a regular basis to go skiing or just to play and the tires work great and wear well too. A 15 or 16 would work better but`it's not as big a loss as you think

If you drive in a lot of unpacked, loose snow you might go with a narrower rim (7") and a 205/50-17. Most of the time our snow is packed so a wide tire works well and will wear better on the dry pavement.

I'm planning on doing snow auto-x's and winter track driving with mine (same stuff I do with my Talon) Can't wait
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 4wdrift
Would a harsh ride be the only consideration for a daily driver? What about reliability, maintance, and gas mileage? I'm assuming that these aren't concerns for an EVO8. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that anything with 271hp is not going to be economical to drive, but is there anything that anyone with zero experience with should be concered about?

I personally am a huge fan of performance awd cars and want an EVO8 for a daily driver. My 93 RX-7 with 400rwhp only gets driven under ideal conditions and will never be a daily driver, for the obvious reasons - very bad gas milage, poor wet weather traction, and the reliability you would expect of a highly modified car. Can I assume that these would not be concerns with the EVO8. It must get better milage than a rotary with even 271hp.
As of this morning, gas is 2.17/ gal for premium!!!!

DIE SADDAM DIE!!!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chronohunter

I think it'll be ok. I use 17" Michelin Pilot Alpins here in Co. Drive in the snow on a regular basis to go skiing or just to play and the tires work great and wear well too. A 15 or 16 would work better but`it's not as big a loss as you think
Maybe I will try the Pilot Alpins
but we have many potholes in Buffalo
17" will be risky.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

16" wheels for winter might fit, depending on the size of the brake calipers. FDs have 12.5" front brakes and many 16" wheels fit just fine.

So, can someone who has an Evo7 in the US (I am assuming the Evo7 & Evo8 have the same Brembos) give the Tire Rack (or similar) a call and see if they have any 16" wheels that will fit?
Old Feb 17, 2003, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

hey if you get tired of your EVO why donīt you send it over here in Panama...crappy roads, nice hills!!just too much fun to imagine
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
16" wheels for winter might fit, depending on the size of the brake calipers. FDs have 12.5" front brakes and many 16" wheels fit just fine.

sorry, that won't work.

We were told in training that 17" is the minimum wheel diameter that will fit around the front brakes without fouling them.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 09:11 PM
choad

Then don't be such a smartass.

Okay...
I will take a deep breath and encourage you to not read into the posts so much...

I read what I posted to you a few times, and I think you took it wrong.

I really was asking if you had driven it since there were some training sessions where the car was there...

Quick Reply: Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??