Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could make it an everyday driver.. going through some of these back roads that make good shorcuts here in Az
Old Feb 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by rollo

Well, I did say "largely depends" For example, if you do a lot of high rpm launches, you're gonna fry the clutch quicker than if you don't do so many. If you don't let the turbo cool down, it's gonna coke up quicker than if you let it cool. And if you hammer the engine when it's cold, you'll wear it much sooner than if you let it warm up first. And if you leave the oil in for 5k (miles) at a time then replace it with whatever you can pick up at Wal-Mart.. well, you deserve whatever you get

I totally agree, however fyi - Mobil 1 is available at Wal-Mart

I also agree that knowing the weak points in advance is a good way to do some preventative maintenance or modifications. Reliability is essential in a daily driver. For example my FD reliabilty mods: plastic ast replaced with alum, rad with plastic end caps replaced with alum, complex sequential twin turbos replaced with single, etc. Still not a daily driver, but one helluva ride!
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I don't care if my Evo's ride is as harsh as a Radio Flyer wagon on a gravel driveway.... ...I'll be driving it daily on my 50 mile per day commute through DC/MD/VA traffic....and I'm gonna love it!

SC
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 4wdrift

I totally agree, however fyi - Mobil 1 is available at Wal-Mart
That's where I buy mine! They have a really good deal because you can get a Synthetic Oil Change (oil of your choice) for 29.88. My car takes 4.5 quarts of oil so it comes up about $25 just in oil (Mobile 1 Syntec). That leaves less than $5 for filter and labor haha. Sometimes when I'm really busy I drop off my car at walmart and get the whole thing done for less than $30 and they give me the .5 quart of extra oil they didn't use (since I did pay for 5 qt). This comes in handy since my car sometimes burns oil.

Rob