Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:28 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??

I am gonna drive this car everyday, and maintain it like
wants it to be cared for...

Is this a car that can be used as a daily driver??!! Am I buying th wrong car to drive and have fun making sales calls in or what????

I don't want to buy a SAAB with maintenance included, or a boring somewhat enjoyable car to drive if I don't have too..

What do you think?
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

I guess it depends on your daily drive. I would say that if your commute is 10 miles or less on decent roads, it would be a very nice daily driver.
If you have to deal with 1 hour commutes on I-10 to go 20 miles or less, it might not be so fun.
What it comes down to is its a harsh ride, and will require that you pay attention with its quick steering. If you are a cell phone talker while driving, it may get you into a few moments where your heart is in your mouth. Good thing it has awesome braking.

Personally I love hard loud rides where you have to turn up your stereo to RMS levels just to hear it. It also would make my 1 hr commutes much more fun, but not everyone is like me.

I would definitely also say that any commute on twisty roads would be the best part of anyones day.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:49 PM

i do not see why not its a mitsu they are made to be driven just test drive one and see if it fits you right
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

It depends on your road conditions, i think and your commute.
The suspension should be set really stiff and if your roads are bad, like in New Orleans, then good luck

It's not fun to drive the Evo or any high performance car in stop and go traffic like LA traffic. Why waste gas in such a commute? Might as well get an electric car, since you cant move quickly anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

i am always on the open road somewhere....either the 25 mins of interstate or the 15 mins of back mountian road...combine the 2 and u have my drive to work or play 6-7 days a week...think an Evo could handle that and be a good daily driver
Old Feb 15, 2003, 03:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm a fairly recent transplant to LA, and even sitting on the 10 I'd rather be in an Evo than some other car. Call me a glutton for punishment, but hey, I like perfromance cars.

Erik in LA
Old Feb 15, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

No problems as a daily driver...and also has umph for those problem on ramps...try doing that in a SUV
Old Feb 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

i will give it a four stars in chicago and michigan winter, driving in the snow-fast!
Old Feb 15, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
I am gonna drive this car everyday, and maintain it like
wants it to be cared for...

Is this a car that can be used as a daily driver??!! Am I buying th wrong car to drive and have fun making sales calls in or what????

I don't want to buy a SAAB with maintenance included, or a boring somewhat enjoyable car to drive if I don't have too..

What do you think?
Well that depends. The car isn't going to be as comfortable as the typical road car by any means. If you spend a lot of time on the road the Evo is a far from ideal choice.

If you live in a climate that see's snow budget a nice chunk of change for an extra set of 17" wheels and snow tires because the stock tires WILL NOT WORK in the snow, or even in the dry if it gets below 30 degrees.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 09:15 PM
choad

Well that depends. The car isn't going to be as comfortable as the typical road car by any means. If you spend a lot of time on the road the Evo is a far from ideal choice.
What's the typical road car?
What's a lot of time on the road?
Have you driven the Evo as of yet or going by what has been said in training sessions?
Old Feb 15, 2003, 10:22 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
M3 - I don't think you'll want an Evo as a daily driver in Milwaukee, especially if you spend a lot of time on 43/94/894, due to the harshness of roads. If you live and work out in the burbs, it might be ok, though. If you can afford to keep your 'teg, I'd save that for the commute to work, and save the Evo for fun drives and the occasional trip into work.

That said, I used my S2000 as a daily driver for about 6 months in the Oshkosh/Appleton area. It's feasable, but some days you wonder why you're doing it...
Old Feb 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

I work in outside sales and have a crappy company car (Taurus). I decided though that every Friday I will use the EVO as a reward to myself each week.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber

What's the typical road car?
What's a lot of time on the road?
Have you driven the Evo as of yet or going by what has been said in training sessions?
A typical road car might be something like a Galant or an Outlander, which are great cars for someone who spends "a lot of time on the road."

The Evo is going to be a harsh riding highly tuned sports sedan with only the minimum of creature comforts. If you work out of your car, this one is going to wear you down in a hurry.

BTW

Have you driven an Evo? Have you been to any training sessions?
Old Feb 16, 2003, 09:34 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could the evo be that harsh? I guess i'll find out on my own.

What i want to comment is that for example my old M3 is much more drivable than my mustang GT but the shock are more stiff and has a better ride at the same time. The live axle is horrible on bumps so i'm assuming evos IRS will be better than live axle anyday. Soft shock of caddys gives me a headache. Personally prefer it stiff.

Why ppl say its harsh. Does the seat vibrate while cruseing at 70mph? Or does the whole car vibrate like my motorcycle while at WOT? I'll rather have stiff shock than get sea sick on a soft shock car anyday.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I can't see the ride being like everyone is making it out to be. I know it is going to be harsh...but...it's a sports suspension, what do you expect from a car that does a G in the twisties. I can't see it being a whole lot worse than a modified(suspension) on a DSM....my car is fairly harsh.....but it is livable by all means.

Quick Reply: Is the EVO 8 a realistic daily driver??