Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you buy and EVO RS?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What made you buy and EVO RS?

I'd like to know the reasons behind why you guys that own them, bought them.
Old May 24, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

no frills just performance. also when I got mine in 04 I wanted the front lsd more than the radio. the fact that it wasn't going to be my daily driver helped to.

Last edited by 04WWRS; May 24, 2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old May 24, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front LSD
Already had in-dash DVD player/screen
Planned on doing power window/lock conversion (turned into everything else as well)
Worked the wing into the deal
Still left me with $5000 to put into mods
Old May 24, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone use the RS as a 4 season climate daily driver?
Old May 24, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

I use mine as a daily driver. I've had it for eight months and I still don't have a radio (if anyone is selling their stock unit and/or speakers I'd be interested) but I still don't mind it. I love the road noise. One of the main reasons I bought it was the price but I also didn't like the wing. I love the black mirrors and fron lsd. I decided that I could live without power door locks or power windows regardless of how impractical it is. On a side note, has anyone else noticed how hot the trunk gets just above the muffler? I left a book in my trunk the other day and when I picked it up it almost burned my hand it was so hot.
Old May 24, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I've driven mine almost every day for the last 12 months in Chicago. It's seen almost every concievable weather condition and terrain. It's a beast in 30" of snow, but it doesn't complain on 100 degree days. I've taken it through miles and miles of gravel road in central appalachia and I've done 1000 mile interstate trips. It's not plush, but it's not harsh either.

Top reasons for buying (besides it being an evo):

Front LSD
No ABS
Low price
No wing
Lighter weight.

d
Old May 24, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jude
On a side note, has anyone else noticed how hot the trunk gets just above the muffler? I left a book in my trunk the other day and when I picked it up it almost burned my hand it was so hot.
Yes. I posted a thread about it last year.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=hot+trunk

d
Old May 24, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Why is the front limited slip differential so great? What's it do for an AWD car? Don't mean to sound ignorant but I'm learning
Old May 24, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

I almost forgot, guys be VERY careful without ABS. I flat spotted all four of my tires on two seperate occasions. The second time was real bad. I was traveling about 85 in the fast lane and I got cut off by a truck going roughly 55 with no signal. I romped on the brakes and locked em up good. it's easy to be philosophical about what you would do in that situation but when it happens in the blink of an eye all you do is slam the brakes instead of pumping them and down shifting. I almost hit the highway divider and I could have swore I made contact with his bumper. Please be careful out there.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, and the front LSD will help you corner better as the rear wheels push but if you have an open diff the car will understeer more. Did that make sense?
Old May 24, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jude
Please be careful out there.
I'm of the opinion that you have to be more that just careful. You have to TRAIN yourself to threshold brake. This requires taking the car to a safe spot and practice stopping from speed again and again. Periodically I go out and practice some more to remind my feet.

I would not recommend letting anybody drive an RS in the rain if they are not trained in threshold braking. No matter how good a driver they are, they will not be able to properly anticipate required stopping distances.

After a some practice there's no way I'd want ABS on a snowy day. As it is set up, the RS is about the most fun I've ever had on slippery surfaces.

d
Old May 24, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

For the overall motor sports Concept. A raw no-nonsense lightest version of an already incredible performer. A hard car. Bells and whistles are designed to increase profits for the manufacturer. I love simplicity, where else can you buy a 30G car with roll up windows? The money is in the driveline and engine. I true drivers car designed for the few of us that drive for a hobby. This EVO seems to have the last true old school JDM engine.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

No wing.
Front LSD, not available on 04s at the time.
A bargin in its segment, freeing up more $$$ for coilovers, exhaust, etc.
Don't care about ABS, power locks/windows, or stock radio.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
I'd like to know the reasons behind why you guys that own them, bought them.
Most buy them for their raw functionality. I think you want it because it's the cheapest version available (to suit your financial situation, and that is not a good reason to do it.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Got mine for the price. At the time I was just out of college and didn't have a decent down payment for a GSR or MR. I've pretty much driven cars of similar comfort as the RS so it was by no means a step down for me. If I had the OE stereo I would've replaced it anyways so no loss there, and I prefer to go wingless for peace of mind (police). The roll up windows are sweet, they're the first thing that people notice and it always gets a big smile. The only thing that I miss is the power locks. 90% of the time I drive alone so it's no big deal but the other 10% is sort of irritating. I guess if I could have any features from other models it would be the 6 speed. The hole from 4 to 5 is a bit large. The gearing of the MR's tranny cleans that up. The Bilstiens aren't that appealing to me so no biggie there.

If I had to do it all over again (which I might with the IX) I'd go with another RS. Preferably white since it's Japan's traditional racing color.

P.S.
This is my daily driver and has been for the last year.