Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What Brand (10-30) Oil Do You Use And Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple full synthetic 10w30 awesome oil i was at a shop this guy as doing comparassions between mobil 1 and royal purple (both 10w30). he had a 350 small block on a dyno and when using the royal purple he had 8 hp more than when using the mobil 1. he aslo had a 450 big block when he did the same test in this engine using the royal purple it was 12 hp higher from the mobil 1. so i use royal purple my car seems to like it too

Last edited by advancEvo27; May 26, 2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

M05 meets the same specs, the base is group 4/5 esters, meets BMW-LL04 to meet that spec it has to be full synthetic. This oil is a great deal. The M05 is TXT Longtec

You can now stop sweating. You can now sleep at night. There is no need to worry. The new GC (M05) is without a doubt SLX LongTec 0w30. This become obvious when you do a side by side comparison between the new GC and the VOA of Castrol LongTec provided by Quattro Pete. The add packs are identical.

Quattro Pete's Stinky Peterson's analysis

ALUMINUM 0 0
CHROMIUM 0 0
IRON 1 2
COPPER 0 0
LEAD 0 0
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 0 0
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 1
BORON 0 0
SILICON 5 4
SODIUM 5 4
CALCIUM 1919 1720
MAGNESIUM 531 511
PHOSPHORUS 813 854
ZINC 1041 983
BARIUM 0 0

.SUS Visc.@210F: 67.5
Flashpoint (F): 430
Fuel (%): -
Antifreeze (%): -
Water (%): 0.0
Insolubles (%): TR
TBN : 10.7Lab : BlackstoneSample date : 11 June 2004

As you can see, there is no need to worry. In fact, the elves have now put on their golden outfits. If you listen carefully, you can hear them singing from the Black Forest.
Posts: 832 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2003 | IP: Logged |
Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
They're really close but the Calcium is a little over 40% less in the M05. Do they know what groups the oils are based off of and if the new GC meets the same specs as the Green GC?
Old May 26, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hehe, might be even better than the green stuff?

Whats your name on the BITOG forums?
Old May 26, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Mobil 1 syn as recommended, and i get it from costco

Last edited by SouthernCrane; May 26, 2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

zmeli same as here.

hehe, might be even better than the green stuff?

Whats your name on the BITOG forums?
Old May 26, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

more info:

BITOGer's thanks for your patience and understanding, I have also been disappointed in the delays. I was beginning to think that "unobtainium" was being used too.

ZOil is primarily a PAO based lubricant. Nothing but Grp4 and higher components. We are currently attempting to break out and ID the complex and unique esters used in the formula. More later.

Our testing to date has included EI and CI mass spec work, currently we have another lab performing additional testing, hopefully that can catalog the complex hydrocarbons, and others we see. NMR and or Desorption capability is needed but may not be available for the additional testing.

The very exciting constituents we are encountering is that the esters used are unlike any you would find in Redline,Amsoil, or Mobil1 formulas. My hat is off to the formulator of Zoil that we are testing. No TCP or POE esters involved here. Elves indeed. I think that Doug Hillary's formula that left the Oz neck of the woods was developmental and that this formula was the answer.

I will get a blast out to all that contributed and will have a much more in depth interpretation in the "near" future for the folks who paid the freight on this testing.

Stay tuned.

So these "unique" esters.... are they better than what you would encounter in Mobil 1 or other oils? Does different mean "good"
These esters were developed in German labs between approx. 1991 and 2000 and have been improved upon since then. There are two flavors of these esters, both derived from PAO olefin polymers.

It is believed these esters are responsible for the AW and FM performance of GC wihout the inclusion of triborates and molys.

Not necessarily good, just different. With the levels of zddp and calcium, and the high viscosity PAO bases, the formulation appears to be a good one.

Last edited by zmeli; May 26, 2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vrrrm...psss
Mobil 1 synthetic.....because thats whats recommended
what he said^^^
Old May 26, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have any consumption with the GC? I think I used about a qt over 3000 miles. However, it could have been due to a slow leak I had near my cam position sensor. So for the T&SUV oil seems to be holding up good with no apparent loss.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

But that is not required, Mobil 1 is a thin 30wt that shears down quickly, not a problem if you change it at 2500 mile intervals.

Originally Posted by gonzo
what he said^^^
Old May 26, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

I am using al little about 1/2 qt every 2k miles. It is the car, not the oil, my 04 did not use a drop. I am hoping that after i am fully broken in that it will settle. This oil is known for maintaining its viscosity look at the UOA for it. hence the ACEA A3 spec (stay in grade spec) Mobil 1 will shear to a 20W after 1800miles, I had it tested on my 04.

Do you have any consumption with the GC? I think I used about a qt over 3000 miles. However, it could have been due to a slow leak I had near my cam position sensor. So for the T&SUV oil seems to be holding up good with no apparent loss.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

I did not choose a Diesel based oil because I thought the additive package has detergents that can foul plugs. Check this out on bobistheoilguy. also the phosphurous levels are to high for the calalyst?

Yeah, the oil is supposed to be really good. It has shown better wear numbers in UOAs than most other oils, even Mobil1. I plan on sending my oil out for analysis to see how well it holds up. With it being Diesel oil, it holds up better in high stress engines and has a less tendency to shear out of grade. I've also heard that it is made out of at least 26% ester based oil which have a better tendency to "stick" to parts even after the engine is shut down. Plus you get good start up protection with a quick flowing 5 weight, and the protection of a 40 weight when the engine is warmed up. Over all I would say its a great oil all around!

Last edited by zmeli; May 26, 2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zmeli
I did not choose a Diesel based oil because I thought the additive package has detergents that can foul plugs. Check this out on bobistheoilguy.
Have any links to this? I've only heard of people worried about the additives (I think it was the zinc) fouling out cats. I do not have a cat though. However, if you do not burn any oil in the combustion chamber, whats there to worry about?
Old May 26, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

I will try to find a reference for you. but i think theat the M1 suv may be repackaged delvac 1.

Here is a good thread http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...1;t=010816;p=1

Have any links to this? I've only heard of people worried about the additives (I think it was the zinc) fouling out cats. I do not have a cat though.

Last edited by zmeli; May 26, 2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zmeli
But that is not required, Mobil 1 is a thin 30wt that shears down quickly, not a problem if you change it at 2500 mile intervals.

I use what is recommended. That's it.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
I use what is recommended. That's it.

Just because something is recommended doesn't necessarily mean its the best. It also does not specifically say that Mobil 1 is required. He’s just going by what many others have found when M1 is analyzed.

Quick Reply: What Brand (10-30) Oil Do You Use And Why?