Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Vs. C5 Vette Pissing match...(Rednecks Within)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evonsx
I am 40-something and I want to know what the hell a pushrod is (j/k)??? a pushrod V-8.....is that like 60 year-old technology?
DOHC heads first appeared in the 1920's on European sports cars, IIRC ... they aren't much younger than pushrods. Second, the reason the C6 uses a pushrod motor is the small external dimensions. The LS2 may have a low specific output (hp/displacement), but it has a high output for its external size (for comparison, the LS2 is smaller than the BMW 4.5l V8 in the 745, but has a higher output).

I'm not attacking you or defending the Corvette, I just wanted to post some facts
Old May 26, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

You're right about the size thing, pushrod V8s are way smaller than most DOHC V8s. The Toyota 1UZ-FE, however, is ridiculously small for a DOHC V8, and is not much larger in size than a small block V8.
Old May 26, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by andrew20195
DOHC heads first appeared in the 1920's on European sports cars, IIRC ... they aren't much younger than pushrods. Second, the reason the C6 uses a pushrod motor is the small external dimensions. The LS2 may have a low specific output (hp/displacement), but it has a high output for its external size (for comparison, the LS2 is smaller than the BMW 4.5l V8 in the 745, but has a higher output).

I'm not attacking you or defending the Corvette, I just wanted to post some facts
Good point. I often have to turn on that fact to DOHC guys who say my car is so much newer and high tech when in reality it's almost as old tech as the pushrod motor. Both have their pros and cons. I prefer them turbo charged either way.
Old May 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
wow... i read that thing from start to finish...

makes me wanna repo a corvette now
Old May 26, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
vette>evo. i thought that was pretty obvious to everyone. why do they even bother attacking evos? all they do is make themselves look stupid and as though they need to overcompensate. whatever. i'm going to go out and pick on stock civic DX's now.
Old May 26, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hueman
vette>evo. i thought that was pretty obvious to everyone. why do they even bother attacking evos? all they do is make themselves look stupid and as though they need to overcompensate. whatever. i'm going to go out and pick on stock civic DX's now.
Old May 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

I recently bought an 05 Evo to go with our 01 Z06. The Z06 is the faster car. It really is (and the 01 is the slowest Z06). It weighs a hundred pounds less then the Evo and has 100 more hp, so it's no surprise. The Vette has great handling and grip and it rides better and get's better gas mileage then the Evo.

However, the Evo is still very fun to drive and it feels fantastic. I love the mid range turbo surge and of course, whenever it snows, I drive the Evo. There are alot of overzealous owners of both makes of car.

Oh yeah, as far as stereotypes go, when I'm in the Vette, I'm a 'redneck' and when I'm in the Evo, I'm a 'ricer'....

Jim
Old May 26, 2005, 06:47 PM

I agree
Old May 26, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

someone needs to show those rednecks the video of the 600whp evo laying the smack down
Old May 26, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
someone needs to show those rednecks the video of the 600whp evo laying the smack down
so? there's always someone faster...who cares if a highly modified evo beat lesser modified cars? let's see that 600 HP evo go against a lingenfelter 427 twin turbo 1,000 HP z06
Old May 26, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

it's amazing that when the Evo came out here our big argument was "oh yeah, well wait 'til we get to the twisties!" but now that tons of Evos are running 10s and 11s the big block guys suddenly change their tune and say the evo's only a drag car. What a joke. I think we as Evo owners need to get more on road courses and re-educate people on what the Evo really is...
Old May 26, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pb24dagrk
so? there's always someone faster...who cares if a highly modified evo beat lesser modified cars? let's see that 600 HP evo go against a lingenfelter 427 twin turbo 1,000 HP z06
ok.....as soon as the that evo gets the GT42r turbo....then we might have a race

did you even see the videos????
Old May 26, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
ok.....as soon as the that evo gets the GT42r turbo....then we might have a race

did you even see the videos????
yea, plenty of times, why you ask?

the lingenfelters have been cracking 8's on daily driven cars

here's a "slow" one:

http://users.mwhq.net/Zeus/9.90sml.WMV
Old May 26, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Evo = maybe guys concerned with ***** size and how fast they can go, either in a straight line or through curves.

Vette = guys who definitely are concerned with ***** size, and who obviously feel threatened by the "ricers"... they just need more of that grecian formula stuff to cover up the gray hairs. (The 911 guys don't seem to feel so threatened, at least not on the highway, imho.)

I hate this kind of ****. I like the SRT4, I love the new vette, the vipers, the european exotics, and no one can find fault with the last two years of the SVT Cobras (or the SS Camaros....)

I wouldn't mind having an SRT-10 TRUCK, for God's sake - if a vehicle is awesome - it's awesome.

I guess I just wish people would quit with the BS.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, and for the douche that posted the 8 second Lingenfelter vette run on here - for ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, someone could probably build an EVO that was faster.