Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Survey: Northeast has dumbest drivers

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/05/26/...udy/index.html

Test shows 1 in 10 licensed U.S. drivers don't know basic rules. In the East, 20 percent fail quiz.

May 27, 2005; Posted: 11:00 a.m. EDT (1500 GMT)
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - When faced with a written test, similar to ones given to beginning drivers applying for licenses, one in ten drivers couldn't get a passing score, according to a study commissioned by GMAC Insurance.

The GMAC Insurance National Driver's Test found that nearly 20 million Americans, or about 1 in 10 drivers, would fail a state driver's test if they had to take one today. GMAC Insurance is part of General Motors' finance subsidiary, GMAC.

More than 5,000 licensed drivers between the ages of 16 and 65 were administered a 20-question written test designed to measure basic knowledge about traffic laws and safety. They were also surveyed about their general driving habits.

Drivers in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states did worst. Twenty percent of test-takers failed there.

The state of Rhode Island leads the nation in driver cluelessness, according to the survey. The average test score there was 77, just eight points above a failing grade.

Those in neighboring Massachusetts were second worst and New Jersey, third worst.

Northwestern states had the most knowledgeable drivers. In those states, just one to three percent failed the test. Oregon and Washington drivers knew the rules of the road best. In Oregon, the average test score was 89.

According to the study, many drivers find basic practices, such as merging and interpreting road signs, difficult.

For instance, one out of five drivers doesn't know that a pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way, and one out of three drivers speeds up to make a yellow light, even when pedestrians are present, the study said.

Drivers not only lack basic road knowledge, but exhibit dangerous driving behavior as well.

"As a nation of drivers, we've made little progress in the past 10 years to curb some of the most dangerous driving behaviors, including drinking and driving and speeding," said Susan Ferguson, senior vice president of research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

One out of 10 drivers regularly exceeds the speed limit by 11 or more miles per hour, with drivers aged between 18 and 24 years showing the greatest propensity for speeding, the study said.

Speeding increases both the likelihood of an accident and the severity of the crash, the company added, citing research from IIHS.

Younger drivers are the most likely to fail a written driving test while those between the ages of 50 and 64 are the most likely to pass.

Scores for 48 states and Washington, D.C.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:11 AM

I live in Illinois. We score #40 on the list. It confirms what I already knew. Illinois drivers suck pretty bad.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor

try dealing with these idiots everyday..
Old May 27, 2005, 09:48 AM

Then they all move to FL is why ours sucks so bad. Not to mention the snow birds.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!! is that why I have to drive like im crazy because people dont know shyt about driving on the road.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:51 AM

I live in MD and its true.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

so north east = bad drivers ?
Old May 27, 2005, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor

you bet your ***.. i drive tractor trailer in all these damn northeast states.. the only thing that comes close is the outer loop in atlanta,..
Old May 27, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
awwww, the people in Atlanta are awesome drivers!
Old May 27, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I beg to differ, Tennessee drivers are IDIOTS...like 99.5% of them couldn't drive if their lives depended on it!

Yeild sign=speed up and cut people off
Red light=3 more cars try to squeeze through
80mph on the freeway=5 cars are tailgating you
green light=sit there with a blank look on their face until you beep the horn...then they flip you the bird.

I hate living here.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
awwww, the people in Atlanta are awesome drivers!
Sike...
j/p
Old May 27, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

i always knew mass drivers were clueless but i guess this just proves it. i wonder what city in the country did the worst becuse my vote would go to philly... red lights are a suggestion. stop signs might as well be invisiable, right hand turns from the middle lane, atv drit bikes and mini bikes are street legal.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

NO offense But..........

NEW YORK DRIVERS ARE THE WORSE!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27, 2005, 11:00 AM

It appears that a 70 or 14 out of 20 questions is required to pass. Pretty sad to see that some people can't pass a simple test like that.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I find it ironic that residents of the Northeast are the worst drivers (and based on a written test-- since when is that indicative of driving ability???) but yet always come in at the very top of the most intelligent states list-- irony at its best.

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm